GDT: 2018 All Star Weekend - Skills Competition and All Star Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
From what we can tell it seems like Auston is playing through a bit of an injury still but yeah, when I look back on this season I'm gonna be pissed that he didn't try in the all star game. This is f***ing ridiculous.

I'm impressed he's still on pace for around 40 goals while missing ten games and obviously not being 100 percent but I wish he blocked that shot in the all star game.

Absurdity knows no bounds.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
From what we can tell it seems like Auston is playing through a bit of an injury still but yeah, when I look back on this season I'm gonna be pissed that he didn't try in the all star game. This is ****ing ridiculous.

I'm impressed he's still on pace for around 40 goals while missing ten games and obviously not being 100 percent but I wish he blocked that shot in the all star game.

Absurdity knows no bounds.

He failed to be a Good Pro at the ASG. Not serious about winning all the time. Part time competitor. Explains why he disappears for stretches. Like JVR.

Reactions: The Rat King

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
McDavid had no problem trying. I guess Matthews simply isn't really of the same character and class of player. Crosby tried, Ovi tried, EK etc.
Didn't Sid used to pass on All Star games when he was younger.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Back on topic, that was the most boring 3 on 3 hockey I've ever seen.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I hope we send Matt Martin so our good players can get a nice rest away from the media. But that really isn't up to us is it ;)

Avs fan hear. You're all missing his point. When push came to shove, Matthews didn't bring it during the All Star game. He was not a star out there. For that reason and because I like watching the Leafs play, the Colorado Avalanche are prepared to trade you perennial hard worker Blake Comeau to take him off your hands. I can assure you that Comeau will never be up for a Sissy Byng award. Take it or leave it fellas and if you act now, I'd consider also sending you former #1 overall pick Nail Yakupov and his generational smile.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Avs fan hear. You're all missing his point. When push came to shove, Matthews didn't bring it during the All Star game. He was not a star out there. For that reason and because I like watching the Leafs play, the Colorado Avalanche are prepared to trade you perennial hard worker Blake Comeau to take him off your hands. I can assure you that Comeau will never be up for a Sissy Byng award. Take it or leave it fellas and if you act now, I'd consider also sending you former #1 overall pick Nail Yakupov and his generational smile.

Wow! How could we possibly say no to that offer! Got any defencemen stuck in the 1990s that you can throw our way? We need some realgudpros on the back end a la Polak.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Wow! How could we possibly say no to that offer! Got any defencemen stuck in the 1990s that you can throw our way? We need some realgudpros on the back end a la Polak.

Only if you sweeten the pot with some Nylander :sarcasm:.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Matthews joked that he was in Doughty's year during the weekend about joining Toronto, and Doughty laughed and skated away.

Mannnnnnn Doughty would cost a ton but how sweet would that be?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
yup it was bad, but was mildly entertained not much else was on tv at the time except golf lol
I flipped to WWE. Stone cold dropped Vince McMahon and it was way more fun than the game. Lol

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
i would rather he be dominating in the playoffs, than entertaining in the all star game.
Cant he be both?

Just some quick comments. All star games / skills competition in my opinion should be an event with minimum risk of getting injured (duh) likewise nothing should be on the line so the player can show off what they can do without consequences.

Dekes/awesome setups etc etc

Lastly i have no idea why people are overanalyzing this to such extent
, who cares? Its just a money grab at this point and i doubt it will be kept as it is.

My suggestion is that in the future the have an simple event where the best of each division getsmto play
, best passes/shooter etc etc and have them do types of skill games against eachother. Alternatively not even bother with having it in one place but have the best player from each team do some tasks im their local arena before a practice session or something and broadcast it on the net.

For me personally a performance test within the team kinda like the combine but more focused on actual hockey skills would be the most interesting, then we would know who shoots hardest or skates fastest for real, most importanly the test are consistent across all teams.

Anyway i ranted way to long on this main point is this. Do not take all star events serious.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Back on topic, that was the most boring 3 on 3 hockey I've ever seen.
This is part of the reason the season goes well into June. They could do away with the All-Star game as far as I'm concerned.
You had a little shut down for Christmas, the Leafs just had a bye week and now off again until Wednesday because of the All-Star game?
NHL needs to get it together. Give everyone the week off then leading to the All-Star game then. Then they'll force 4 games in 6 nights. Crazy scheduling.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
This is part of the reason the season goes well into June. They could do away with the All-Star game as far as I'm concerned.
You had a little shut down for Christmas, the Leafs just had a bye week and now off again until Wednesday because of the All-Star game?
NHL needs to get it together. Give everyone the week off then leading to the All-Star game then. Then they'll force 4 games in 6 nights. Crazy scheduling.

The 7 game series for the first round, along with the travel have alot to do with the season going into June.

The bye week is what the players wanted and negotiated. I'm fine with the allstar game, all the major NA professional leagues have their own allstar games...they are really just a spectacle for some of the fans and a time to hang out for the players to have some fun...they are also a marketing gimmick for the leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad