2018-2019 UHL Return?

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
Hara Arena has closed. Im not sure if the Bombers old home the Nutter Center is still an option or not. Rec rink wise Hobart Arena in Troy could also be an option.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Im not sure if the Bombers old home the Nutter Center is still an option or not. ...
Both the Wright State men's and women's basketball teams fill up dates at Nutter. The remaining prime dates for this winter seem to be largely filled with state high school girls volleyball & concerts & the Globetrotters & ArenaCross. UHL2.0 games would have to be WAY down on their list of date-worthy bookings.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I can see a few current ECHL markets in this league in a few years.
Then Joe Pace Sr. and his not-so-secret backers should wait those "few years." Trying to stand up a new league - or a reconstituted FHL - for a couple of seasons waiting for some failing ECHL markets to come calling is NOT a sound business plan.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'm upset they are going to taint the UHL brand and name with this re-invented FHL

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
the brand had already been tarnished by the Fort Wayne ownership....

The league was fine until the stupid IHL2/CHL nonsense, and the blatant discrimination against teams in the northeast. Once Danbury and Adirondack fell it was only a matter of time, they exploited the whole "we are a Midwest league" nonsense. Danbury ran a muck despite being extremely successful, and Adirondack had solid ownership with Melrose and Levy, its a shame city fathers in Adirondack wouldn't give the Frostbite a fair lease agreement but they bent over backwards when the AHL Phantoms temporarily came a knocking. Adirondack bouncing from UHL to two temporary AHL teams then swapping to the ECHL has unfortunately tired their fan base. If the new UHL has ties to some of its former builders then perhaps the league can avoid any negative connections to the FHL. I get the FHL is sincerely trying to fill a void, or niche, but the model has failed in many places. You need population, a suitable arena (not rec rinks), and you need organizations which are able to pay their players and staff regardless of how many fans are in attendance. If you cannot pay all your bills from all revenue sources or unable to absorb those costs then how can the league consider themselves professional? There is going to be more shakeup in the hockey landscape, especially in the traditional markets. Year three and the ECHL has not made solid gains in the three former AHL markets, time will tell.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
the brand had already been tarnished by the Fort Wayne ownership....

Well true the IHL2 wasn't good by any means, but it still didn't come close to the FHL's brand in my opinion.

The video the UHL tweeted out today about renewing old rivalries is interesting, it seems like they may try some former UHL markets based on that statement.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... The video the UHL tweeted out today about renewing old rivalries is interesting, it seems like they may try some former UHL markets based on that statement.
Well, at least four I guess, presuming they adhered to proper English grammar rules. :huh:

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I am becoming increasingly convinced that- in this decade- the tendency of a group planning to start a league to promote fighting or heavy contact is inversely proportional to the length of time same group has spent talking to insurance industry people about coverage.

Insurance is very likely the cost that drives minor pro teams underwater in this decade... certainly south of the border, anyway. Far be it for me to suggest that hockey can thrive in a country with pretty decent universal health care.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Insurance is very likely the cost that drives minor pro teams underwater in this decade...
There is recent evidence of that in the FHL, where the Danbury Titans owner decided to cease operations: "I decided this was not financially feasible for an organization like mine. Last season's injury list was long. Because of this, I refuse to allow my staff and players on the ice without proper medical coverage."

And there's a lingering lawsuit filed several years back by an FHL player who was blinded during a game. Sufficient motivation for the FHL principals to to stand up UHL2.0? ;)

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
This "New UHL" will not play a game. If you want to bet against me, I'll give you 100-1 odds.

Considering they haven't made 1 single announcement about anything regarding the league I'd say odds are in your favor.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Considering they haven't made 1 single announcement about anything regarding the league I'd say odds are in your favor.
This scenario reminds me of the North Atlantic Professional Hockey League (NAPHL) that former FHL principal Phil DeFranco tried to organize back in 2014. Announcement made, telephone press conference reportedly held with a charter team named (the Berkshire Black Bears in Mt. Adams, MA), another team reportedly added from Massena in Upstate NY. Then bupkis. The best laid plans of mice & hockey leagues.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
ARE WE FORGETTING IT'S NOT 2018 YET?

even expansion teams slated to begin in other leagues haven't set everything up and/or ARE WAITING FOR THE current season to be completed....

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

even expansion teams slated to begin in other leagues haven't set everything up and/or ARE WAITING FOR THE current season to be completed....
Hockey is a spectator sport. We're simply spectating. :popcorn:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Kinda expected a little communication, like a "we're still trying to be a thing" message...

Nothing posted publicly since October.

Exactly I'm not expecting a full roster of teams with complete operations at this point. But I would have expected something within the last 3 months, even if it was just a "Happy Thanksgiving! We'll be playing this time next year" sort of post.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV

Expansion teams are waiting to announce? Someone tell Portland they jumped the gun!

Relocations, maybe, but expansion teams would be smart to announce soon if not already. Waiting until April/May isn't ideal and can hurt if they don't have enough financial backing to take a big loss early. Consider who looks to be involved, I'm not sure that backing is there.

Kometsman

Oct 1, 2017
The problem with ihl 2 was the league as a whole didn't have competitive balance & couldn't follow through expansion

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Expansion teams are waiting to announce? Someone tell Portland they jumped the gun!

Relocations, maybe, but expansion teams would be smart to announce soon if not already. Waiting until April/May isn't ideal and can hurt if they don't have enough financial backing to take a big loss early. Consider who looks to be involved, I'm not sure that backing is there.

uh, Portland isn't the issue, nor was Worcester, when they went through that, they still only have 4 off ice staff it is also the building operator, semi:rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->