Injury Report: 2018-2019 Injury Report....Peoples be hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
You might as well put Bouwmeester and Gunnarson on this list, along with Fabbri. I think Fabbri is the only one who'll be back for training camp.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Any word on if it was dislocated vs separated? I didn't know surgery would be required for a dislocated shoulder.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I just read Slaughterhouse 5, and the main character always says "So it goes" every time death happens. I think the phrase matches the Blues better as most of us are starting to get numb to these threads. I officially request we change the thread title to "2018-2019 Injury Report.... So it goes"

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Any word on if it was dislocated vs separated? I didn't know surgery would be required for a dislocated shoulder.

I've seen both terms used for his injury, but the determining factor is how bad the cartilage or ligaments are damaged. I've had surgery on both shoulders, one for dislocation and the other for separation. Both did enough damage to warrant surgery.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I'm alright with Tarasenko playing less games. He can still condition himself over the summer, and he'll be fresher come (hopefully) playoff time next season.

Here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery to him, Fabbri and the others.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Well Robby Fabbri is ready for new off-season and being cap model for new Blues fashion.

cut.jpg

bluesfanforlife1992

Jul 3, 2015
I've seen both terms used for his injury, but the determining factor is how bad the cartilage or ligaments are damaged. I've had surgery on both shoulders, one for dislocation and the other for separation. Both did enough damage to warrant surgery.

Both are different injuries. Tarasenko injury is most likely shoulder dislocation just based on what I saw from the game, how he was on the bench, and what they did after the game.

A dislocated shoulder is the shoulder joint coming out of the glenoid fossa. With shoulder dislocation, you will stretch the glenohumeral ligaments, but you can also tear the glenoid labrum, which helps to keep the shoulder in place by deepening the socket for the ball of the humerus to stay in, in most traumatic cases such as Tarasenko case. Factor determine where the tear most likely based on which direction shoulder dislocated. You can have SLAP tear or bankart tear.

Shoulder separation is an injury to the AC joint (acromioclavicular joint). Your AC joint is where the end of clavicle meets with the acromion of your scapula. Most common injury of this is falling on it. What happens is your tear your ligament that hold down your clavicle in place. Depending on severity of the injury determines surgery or not. Usually clavicle will go protrude upwards, but in very very rare case can get stuck under the Coracoid.

Reason surgery was most likely done is just based on the sport and depending the results of the MRI. Hockey is a collison sport. If MRI showed a huge tear, they will be proactive on it. Plus when you are under 30, after dislocating a shoulder, you have a much higher risk of dislocating it multiples time again.

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
Both are different injuries. Tarasenko injury is most likely shoulder dislocation just based on what I saw from the game, how he was on the bench, and what they did after the game.

A dislocated shoulder is the shoulder joint coming out of the glenoid fossa. With shoulder dislocation, you will stretch the glenohumeral ligaments, but you can also tear the glenoid labrum, which helps to keep the shoulder in place by deepening the socket for the ball of the humerus to stay in, in most traumatic cases such as Tarasenko case. Factor determine where the tear most likely based on which direction shoulder dislocated. You can have SLAP tear or bankart tear.

Shoulder separation is an injury to the AC joint (acromioclavicular joint). Your AC joint is where the end of clavicle meets with the acromion of your scapula. Most common injury of this is falling on it. What happens is your tear your ligament that hold down your clavicle in place. Depending on severity of the injury determines surgery or not. Usually clavicle will go protrude upwards, but in very very rare case can get stuck under the Coracoid.

Reason surgery was most likely done is just based on the sport and depending the results of the MRI. Hockey is a collison sport. If MRI showed a huge tear, they will be proactive on it. Plus when you are under 30, after dislocating a shoulder, you have a much higher risk of dislocating it multiples time again.

1430751057356.jpg

Reactions: stl76

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Right, so basically what happens in a separated shoulder is that, the ligaments that hold the shoulder together, namely ones connecting to the shoulder blade and your collarbone, are torn, which separate certain/all parts of the shoulder and keep them from moving properly (duh). A dislocated shoulder refers to your ball and socket joint that is made with your shoulder blade and your humerus (trying to avoid a lot of these specific bone terms) where that joint is undone (for a lack of a better term) and keeps you from moving your arm at all. The bad thing about this injury is that it was on Tarasenko's dominant shooting hand, so a lot of that power is going to be weakened a bit, as you would expect. The good thing is that he is so big and bulky that he's got a lot of muscle in that area, and if I recall correctly, he hasn't really had a major shoulder injury in his career (so his ligaments seem to be good at preventing injury).

Reactions: DoubleK81

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

So where the shoulder bone connects to the chest bone is bad. Got it. :D

But seriously, appreciate the technical break down (even if 99% flew right over my head).

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

That was insightful. Thank you. Do you know much about ACL injuries? LOL.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Thanks to 30+ years of hockey, my knees are destroyed, my hips are shot, and both shoulders have been dislocated so many times that a strong wind can make them pop out. I now walk around like a sidekick from a 50s western. I can tell you what it is like to be older with all those injuries stacked up :help:

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Thanks to 30+ years of hockey, my knees are destroyed, my hips are shot, and both shoulders have been dislocated so many times that a strong wind can make them pop out. I now walk around like a sidekick from a 50s western. I can tell you what it is like to be older with all those injuries stacked up :help:
176qkl.jpg

Reactions: 67Blues and stl76

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Good grief, how is he already injured? Sucks for him.

But whatever, just hope these guys take this long summer to get healthy and are ready to go in October. I don't want another season where we're missing 4 guys right off the bat in the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->