Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Between this and the draft thread, you sure seem to be in a gambling mood today.
I've built back up to $800k after the reset, so I have some discretionary income to throw around. :laugh:

It'll probably be reset again at some point after the playoffs in preparation for next year, so it's kind of a use it or lose it type of thing. :D

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Before game 1 starts next season I’m suggesting a series of events to happen during the pregame festivities.

1. Have a live goat be chased by the zamboni.
2. Launch live squirrels into the nosebleeds using those 3 people rubber bands. Borrow FredBird and have him running around capturing said squirrels.
3. Burn a pile of Turek jerseys.
4. Secretly rename the Blues to something that doesn’t rhyme with “lose”. Maybe make a team name that rhymes with “win” or “cup”.
5. Have Scott Stevens reverse the mojo from the disaster tampering situation. Maybe have him flying to the ice on cables while burning Devils’ jerseys with a flame thrower.
6. Retire 44 and make every defenseman go through the school of Pronger Nastiness.
7. Get a superhero center.
8. Have a goalie the fan base actually expects not to f*** up.

Open to adding to the list. Enough is enough. The goal to propel Vegas to the cup coming from Reaves finally convinced me the curse is real. For 35+ years friends warned me not to ever get my hopes up for the Blues winning it all . It can’t be real I said. Curses aren’t real I said.

Do something. Go look at the franchises never to win a cup to produce throwing up in your mouth.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
The list is quite sad actually. From most years without a cup to least:

Blues
Sabres
Canucks
Wild
Capitals
Sharks
-------------
Panthers
Jets
Coyotes
Blue Jackets
Predators
Golden Knights

Those first 6 are the big ones.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The list is quite sad actually. From most years without a cup to least:

Blues
Sabres
Canucks
Wild
Capitals
Sharks
-------------
Panthers
Jets
Coyotes
Blue Jackets
Predators
Golden Knights

Those first 6 are the big ones.
That order is quite screwed up though.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
That order is quite screwed up though.
Probably.

Here, this is ordered by longest to shortest:

Blues
Sabres
Canucks*
Capitals
Coyotes
Sharks
Senators*
Panthers
Predators
Jets
Blue Jackets
Wild
Golden Knights

*City has won a cup, but not the particular franchise.

It counts Winnipeg's old seasons for Arizona and Atlanta's for current Winnipeg's.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Probably.

Blues
Sabres
Canucks*
Capitals
Coyotes
Sharks
Senators*
Panthers
Predators
Jets
Blue Jackets
Wild
Golden Knights

It counts Winnipeg's old seasons for Arizona and Atlanta's for current Winnipeg's.
Yeah. The top 4 have definitely suffered the longest. And then the 4 after them have gone through tough times as well.

But the bottom 5 can screw off.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Before game 1 starts next season I’m suggesting a series of events to happen during the pregame festivities.

1. Have a live goat be chased by the zamboni.
2. Launch live squirrels into the nosebleeds using those 3 people rubber bands. Borrow FredBird and have him running around capturing said squirrels.
3. Burn a pile of Turek jerseys.
4. Secretly rename the Blues to something that doesn’t rhyme with “lose”. Maybe make a team name that rhymes with “win” or “cup”.
5. Have Scott Stevens reverse the mojo from the disaster tampering situation. Maybe have him flying to the ice on cables while burning Devils’ jerseys with a flame thrower.
6. Retire 44 and make every defenseman go through the school of Pronger Nastiness.
7. Get a superhero center.
8. Have a goalie the fan base actually expects not to **** up.

Open to adding to the list. Enough is enough. The goal to propel Vegas to the cup coming from Reaves finally convinced me the curse is real. For 35+ years friends warned me not to ever get my hopes up for the Blues winning it all . It can’t be real I said. Curses aren’t real I said.

Do something. Go look at the franchises never to win a cup to produce throwing up in your mouth.

Blues ought to change their name to SLCHC - St. Louis Cardinals, Hockey Club.
I've said this before... love the Bluenote, HATE that "Blues" are synonymous with "depression".
Studies have shown that red clubs win more than blue clubs, across sports in general.
Time to rebrand this franchise. Fold the Blues, come back with red Cardinal unis. Certainly can't hurt at this point.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Keil, Scottrade, . . .

Any guesses? Dirt Cheap Center?
1140791.jpg

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Blues ought to change their name to SLCHC - St. Louis Cardinals, Hockey Club.
I've said this before... love the Bluenote, HATE that "Blues" are synonymous with "depression".
Studies have shown that red clubs win more than blue clubs, across sports in general.
Time to rebrand this franchise. Fold the Blues, come back with red Cardinal unis. Certainly can't hurt at this point.
Red=bad guys
Blue= good guys.

On a serious note, I wonder if enterprise will exclusively use Blues players in their commercials. Would be a nice perk to help draw FAs if those deals can be on the table

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Probably.

Blues
Sabres
Canucks*
Capitals
Coyotes
Sharks
Senators*
Panthers
Predators
Jets
Blue Jackets
Wild
Golden Knights

Considering Leafs haven't won in 50+ years, they deserve mention on sad list too.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I keep seeing people mention that a LH LW is not a need for this team. Curious as to why the majority seems to be of that opinion. Counting Fabbri as part of the top 6 for next season is a big gamble and Steen is better off on the third line at this point in his career.

I'm warming to the idea of trading for a guy like Pacioretty in the offseason. With 1 year left on his contract at a reasonable 4.5M, he would be a good insurance policy should Fabbri have another setback or isn't the same player that he was prior to the injury. If Fabbri smashes all expectations, Pacioretty can be moved to recoup the assets that were spent in acquiring him. There is also an abundance of LH LW free agents that could be considered and other trade targets (Hoffman).

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I keep seeing people mention that a LH LW is not a need for this team. Curious as to why the majority seems to be of that opinion. Counting Fabbri as part of the top 6 for next season is a big gamble and Steen is better off on the third line at this point in his career.

I'm warming to the idea of trading for a guy like Pacioretty in the offseason. With 1 year left on his contract at a reasonable 4.5M, he would be a good insurance policy should Fabbri have another setback or isn't the same player that he was prior to the injury. If Fabbri smashes all expectations, Pacioretty can be moved to recoup the assets that were spent in acquiring him. There is also an abundance of LH LW free agents that could be considered and other trade targets (Hoffman).

We have Schwartz (LH LW#1). If Fabbri (LH LW#2) is not ready for a top 6 role, we have Steen (LH LW #3) already as a Top 6 capable backup. Barbashev (LH LW #4), Berglund (LH LW #5) and Sobotka (LH LW #6) can all play C, but are more comfortable on the left when playing wing. Sanford (LH LW #7) and Blias (LH LW #8) are youngsters who could potentially push for 3rd line time. Jaskin (LH LW #9) and Soshnikov (LH LW #10) can play either wing but are both left-handed. Hell even Schenn can play LW and is LH (LHS #11). Tarasenko is a LHS, on the RW (LHS #12).

Steen and Fabbri are on the team. We have to find room for them somewhere, along with Berglund, Sobotka, etc, etc. We aren't trading for patches, moving out all those LWs AND acquiring RWs. If we get Pacioretty, who are we putting on the RW? Where are Fabbri and/or Steen playing? Its much better to at least get a guy who is comfortable playing RW, even if not a RHS. Hoffman can play either wing. Patches can't, or at least never has. Farrbi never has. Steen and Berglund don't really excel there although they have played there last year. Even if Patches is a better LW than Steen, its not as big of a jump as Hoffman would be at RW. We need to address the biggest area of need first, and that is RW, not slightly improving LW.

Schwartz - Schenn - Tarasenko
Patches - TBD - ?????
Steen - Berglund - Thomas?

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
We have Schwartz (LH LW#1). If Fabbri (LH LW#2) is not ready for a top 6 role, we have Steen (LH LW #3) already as a Top 6 capable backup. Barbashev (LH LW #4), Berglund (LH LW #5) and Sobotka (LH LW #6) can all play C, but are more comfortable on the left when playing wing. Sanford (LH LW #7) and Blias (LH LW #8) are youngsters who could potentially push for 3rd line time. Jaskin (LH LW #9) and Soshnikov (LH LW #10) can play either wing but are both left-handed. Hell even Schenn can play LW and is LH (LHS #11). Tarasenko is a LHS, on the RW (LHS #12).

Steen and Fabbri are on the team. We have to find room for them somewhere, along with Berglund, Sobotka, etc, etc. We aren't trading for patches, moving out all those LWs AND acquiring RWs. If we get Pacioretty, who are we putting on the RW? Where are Fabbri and/or Steen playing? Its much better to at least get a guy who is comfortable playing RW, even if not a RHS. Hoffman can play either wing. Patches can't, or at least never has. Farrbi never has. Steen and Berglund don't really excel there although they have played there last year. Even if Patches is a better LW than Steen, its not as big of a jump as Hoffman would be at RW. We need to address the biggest area of need first, and that is RW, not slightly improving LW.

Schwartz - Schenn - Tarasenko
Patches - TBD - ?????
Steen - Berglund - Thomas?

Your point is well taken :laugh:. I was viewing it more from a top 6 perspective and didn't consider the overall big picture. However, our top 9 is going to be dominated by LHS regardless of what we do this offseason.

Schwartz - Schenn - Kyrou/Tarasenko
Pacioretty - Stastny - Tarasenko/Kyrou
Steen - Thomas - Berglund

Pacioretty is a pretty dang expensive insurance policy. If we get him, it wouldn’t make sense to move him at the deadline.
Just thinking outside of the box. If you could get Pacioretty for WPG 2018 1st + B level prospect, I would think you could flip him for a 2019 1st at the TDL if it was realized that he wasn't needed on the team due to internal options (i.e. Fabbri).

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Just thinking outside of the box. If you could get Pacioretty for WPG 2018 1st + B level prospect, I would think you could flip him for a 2019 1st at the TDL if it was realized that he wasn't needed on the team due to internal options (i.e. Fabbri).

What would be the point in losing a prospect and delaying our first for a few months of Pacioretty? It would be better to assemble the team you expect to go into the playoffs now rather than rely on a guy all season only to pull him out right before the most important point of the year. If we trade our trade chips on Pacioretty, what assets are we using to fill the RW and C holes? Wouldn't it make more sense to try to fill the RW and C holes now, then trade for a LW if needed at the deadline?

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
What would be the point in losing a prospect and delaying our first for a few months of Pacioretty? It would be better to assemble the team you expect to go into the playoffs now rather than rely on a guy all season only to pull him out right before the most important point of the year. If we trade our trade chips on Pacioretty, what assets are we using to fill the RW and C holes? Wouldn't it make more sense to try to fill the RW and C holes now, then trade for a LW if needed at the deadline?
Probably.

The counter argument is that Fabbri doesn't recover and Pacioretty is needed long term for this season and beyond. I only mention Pacioretty because he is widely known to be available and the Blues have been rumored to be interested. Outside of Tavares and Stastny, I don't know what the options are for acquiring a C. I don't have any ideas on addressing RW. Jordan Eberle? Tyler Johnson? Wayne Simmonds?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I feel like I make this post every other day, but I just do not understand the Steen hate. He isn;t the player he was 3 years ago. He isn't a 65 point guy and isn't elite defensively. Ideally, I think he fits best on our 3rd line LW spot, but that is not because he isn't a top 6 talent. He was our 4th highest scoring forward last year with 46 points (49 point pace). His 46 points put him at a tie for 118th among NHL forwards. That makes him squarely a 4th or 5th NHL forward in terms of production and his possession numbers were still good. Put another way, Steen was closer to Tarasenko in offensive production than Berglund, Sobotka, Brodziak, etc were to Steen.

In a perfect world, I like Steen as the 3LW because he is a skilled player to help (hopefully) Thomas develop/produce and he is good enough defensively to ease some pressure from other 3rd line guys. But if Fabbri (or another interal LHS LW) can't cut it on the 2nd line, Steen can very easily be effective there. Until someone actually proves something in camp, Steen is a better 2LW option than any option we currently have for 2C or 2RW. It makes zero sense to burn assets to get a player to fill the most redundant position we have on the roster instead of addressing very obvious positional needs, especially since we also have a need for RHS forwards.

We aren't going to solve every roster hole in free agency. We need to spend assets to address needs. Burning those assets on a LHS LW would prevent us from doing that or would ensure that we have to drastically mortgage the future.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Steen is absolutely fine as the 2nd line LW, regardless of whether or not Fabbri returns to form. He's a second line quality player, full stop. Playing him on the third line is a luxury, not a necessity.

It would be nice if the team was constructed is such a way as to allow for that possibility instead of forcing him to play RW or center.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, basically to summarize what those 2 have already said: Steen and Fabbri is miles better as options behind Schwartz than what we have behind Tarasenko. It’s that simple.

Pacioretty is also going on 30 with one year left. That’s not the guy I’d spend big assets on.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah, basically to summarize what those 2 have already said: Steen and Fabbri is miles better as options behind Schwartz than what we have behind Tarasenko. It’s that simple.

Pacioretty is also going on 30 with one year left. That’s not the guy I’d spend big assets on.

To summarize your summary, Schwartz, Steen, Fabbri > Tarasenko, Thompson...and...um...well that's it right now.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Not trying to beat a dead horse on the LH LW issue. I was legitimately curious why the majority were opposed to it, hence my initial question a few posts up. All valid points have been presented. I may be in the minority but I personally wouldn't rule out upgrading LW, despite the lack of depth we have at other positions. I wasn't proposing an either or scenario. I want all of the above. Try to minimize as many of the ? marks going into next season as possible.

Anyone got any ideas for C and RW upgrades? Pretty slim pickings in FA for RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad