2018-19 Oilers: Piecing Together Roster

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
The Edmonton Oilers are blessed with some high-end talent — led by Connor McDavid — but there are question marks surrounding half the roster and changes are inevitable after failing to make the playoffs this season. That said, the team underachieved and may already have most of the pieces for future success. Nothing earth-shattering here, but a look at how the roster is shaping up as of today: https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-roster-projection-2018-19/

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Great article, Larry, thanks! Do you think another top 4D, upgraded backup and one or two proven wingers will get them back into the playoffs and do some damage?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Thanks for the article!

I think this team could rebound next year, but still has a couple holes, namely a top 6 winger and an offensive RHD. In my opinion they should draft a defenseman, since they really don't have the assets to trade for a defensemen without badly hurting the team. Noah Dobson looks intriguing at 9th overall, and imo could be NHL ready as soon as next year.

Then they should buy low on a struggling top 6 winger with great upside, like Ryan Strome, a 2018 2nd, and Ethan Bear for Alex Galchenyuk. Finally, sign a UFA 3rd line center (Nash or Ryan) and a backup (Dell or Hutton). This lineup looks pretty strong to me.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Galchenyuk - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Lucic - Nash/Ryan - Puljujarvi
Cagguila - Khaira - Aberg

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Russell
Sekera - Benning/Dobson

Talbot
Dell/Hutton

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks for the article!

I think this team could rebound next year, but still has a couple holes, namely a top 6 winger and an offensive RHD. In my opinion they should draft a defenseman, since they really don't have the assets to trade for a defensemen without badly hurting the team. Noah Dobson looks intriguing at 9th overall, and imo could be NHL ready as soon as next year.

Then they should buy low on a struggling top 6 winger with great upside, like Ryan Strome, a 2018 2nd, and Ethan Bear for Alex Galchenyuk. Finally, sign a UFA 3rd line center (Nash or Ryan) and a backup (Dell or Hutton). This lineup looks pretty strong to me.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Russell
Sekera - Benning/Dobson

Talbot
Dell/Hutton

I like it, my only concern would be banking on the defence to bounce back (and go beyond that in development). I think if they could get a stop gap 4D somehow that would make a big difference.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Great article, Larry, thanks! Do you think another top 4D, upgraded backup and one or two proven wingers will get them back into the playoffs and do some damage?

Thanks Oilhawks, that sounds plausible, providing McDavid, Draisaitl and Talbot stay healthy and play/dress for 70+ games.

Cap space is becoming an issue, as you know, with McDavid's new deal kicking in and Nurse needing a new contract too. The negotiations with Nurse will likely determine how pricey that other top-four defenceman can be, but it's hard to tell Nurse to take a bridge deal for around $3-$3.5 per for a couple years when you are giving Russell and Sekera so much more money (I know UFAs typically get more than RFAs, but still).

So they have to get Nurse signed and see where they stand in terms of cap space to add those three or four missing pieces that, in theory, could make the Oilers a playoff team and true contender as early as next season. Fan base seems cautiously optimistic that Chiarelli is capable of pulling that off, then just hope for another season of good health and the stars could/should align.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Thanks for the article!

RNH - McDavid - Rattie

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Russell
Sekera - Benning/Dobson

Talbot
Dell/Hutton

I don't think the habs would accept that. They would demand one of our C's like Nuge.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I know a few won't agree, but I'd rather see Kassian (and Khaira) on the 3rd line vs. the 4th.

To my eye the oil have too many 2nd or rather 3rd tier scorers, guys that can look decent when played with talent, but will never carry a line to save their lives: Kassian, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Khaira, Aberg. Lucic, Strome and Pulju semi fit into this category too, but they can at least generate chances occasionally.

The other problem with these guys is that none of them are better than average defensively too.

Move on from half of them, bring in a couple guys that excel defensively, and let the elite talents like McDavid and Draisaitl carry the ones that stay.

Give this team a 4th line of...

Winnik-T.Mitchell-Hansen

And this team is far better upfront regardless of however the top 3 lines are constructed beyond McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, and even Strome.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Basically give me...

RNH-McDavid-Hansen*
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Kassian
Winnik-Mitchell-Pakarinen

*If Rattie can work here, most anyone can, and he'd be a good cheap buy low target.

Add in two of Aberg, Slepyshev, Caggiula, and Rattie as PB bodies, and I'd be happy with the forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad