OT: 2018 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

6o4boi

Aug 17, 2016
Barring some sort of divine intervention, Caps are unlikely to sign any big Euro names.
Bordering on the impossible pretty much.
We're more likely to see Argentinian/Uruguayan primera division players here...which I don't really mind as long as the scouting homework is done.

But hey, we're tops on our CCL group so we got that goin for us which is nice.

PS: long time lurker finally decided to come out of the woodwork lol

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Watching the game on TV, a good drinking game would be taking a drink every time you hear "easily gets around Morales." I know Robinson said he wanted his best players on the pitch as much as possible, but I don't think Morales is one of the best players for the Whitecaps anymore.

I also don't like the referee who is in the middle of this game. He hasn't done anything to the Caps yet, but he's a ref that likes making the game about him.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
No excuse on that goal, that shouldn't have landed on the foot of an attacker eight yards out.

Stormblessed

Jul 4, 2009
Victoria
I feel like Ousted just looks defeated. I feel awful for the guy, it feels like weekly teams are getting the chance to tee off from prime locations on him with almost no defensive effort in front of him.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't think he is going to be (or wants to be) a Whitecap next year.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Although I think Aird got the short end of the stick on the penalty, he just scares me defensively.

Also think the assistant ref was wrong there, when the ball is kicked, Ousted's left foot is on the line.

And of course the ref doesn't call the penalty back for the SKC player is encroaching in the box.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Team sucks... Though I'll always support them as I always have for years, this is pretty damn bad right now. Don't see them pulling out of this... No cohesion.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Team sucks... Though I'll always support them as I always have for years, this is pretty damn bad right now. Don't see them pulling out of this... No cohesion.

A lack of cohesion comes from the coach. Robinson is not doing his job and the players on the team are trying to do it all on their own. The system needs to change, but that is not happening anytime soon.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to support the team or watch games. No excitement at all and the team is incapable of scoring a single goal. One goal in five games and no goals in five road games is dreadful. The number of times that the opposition tees off from prime scoring opportunities is unacceptable. Basically they are the worst d in the league and have the second worst GD.

For next season they need to get new right and left backs and two DP players, one midfielder and one striker. The Caps will be true to form and not find anyone to truly improve the team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Stick a fork in 'em...they're done....closer to last place in the conference than to a playoff sport...normally when a team underachieves as badly as this one there's a general house-cleaning...so what is the excuse going to be when they come back next year with the same tired group?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Unfortunately, it looks like the plan for this team is to remain mired in mediocrity with the hope that they occasionally rise above the pack, like they did last year, on the cheap.

This is not a franchise I will support if that's the case.

I'm still not sure if this is a Whitecaps thing or an MLS thing. I'm not yet decided if the reason big name UFAs consistently end up in big markets is because WFC owners are cheapskates or because MLS is dictating what franchises will be successful. Either way, if it's obvious the Whitecaps are a "have-not" franchise, the MLS can kiss my support goodbye.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unfortunately, it looks like the plan for this team is to remain mired in mediocrity with the hope that they occasionally rise above the pack, like they did last year, on the cheap.

I'm still not sure if this is a Whitecaps thing or an MLS thing. I'm not yet decided if the reason big name UFAs consistently end up in big markets is because WFC owners are cheapskates or because MLS is dictating what franchises will be successful. Either way, if it's obvious the Whitecaps are a "have-not" franchise, the MLS can kiss my support goodbye.

You might be right...don't follow it closely enough but is there a salary cap in MLS?...if not, then smaller market teams are going to get buried by the big-markets for sure when it comes to assembling talent...too bad there's still so much of massive talent gap between the imports and the home-grown kids....there's really no amateur draft to speak of in the MLS that would help small-market teams close the gap like teams can in baseball or hockey.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

That's what many thought of TFC for many year as they signed washed up losers and mediocre Canadian players.

As I stated numerous times; it's quite apparent the owners are set to lose money from the team this year. Now, part of that is due to the low CDN dollar, but another big factor is that interest is quickly waning because the product on the field is utter ****. Unlike MLSE, our owners seem unwilling to invest their money into attracting big names/decent players.

I wonder how many seasons until there is talk of relocation.

6o4boi

Aug 17, 2016
Watching the game on TV, a good drinking game would be taking a drink every time you hear "easily gets around Morales."

The Whitecaps FC Official Viewer Drinking Game

Drink when:
TSN is showing another game going over time in all their channels
Caps make subs around 60 minutes
Caps make final sub around 80 minutes
Starts 4-2-3-1
Kendall Waston gets a caution
Kendall Waston gets a yellow
Whoever's in RB gets schooled
Ousted has to make a save off a defensive blunder
Caps give up a corner
Caps give up a free kick
Set piece accomplishes nothing in particular
Bolanos/Mezquida/Morales brings the ball past half and then fizzle out

Post game drinking bonus points:
Robbo mentions "luck"
Robbo mentions being "gutted"
Robbo mentions guys "deserving better"
Teibert getting some screen time despite not getting playing time

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Man, I was so excited at the start of the year. This was the first season I was going to get a chance to watch a majority of the games and really get into it. My desire to watch games now is very low. Next to no entertainment value. At least the BPL season has kicked off again.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Man, I was so excited at the start of the year. This was the first season I was going to get a chance to watch a majority of the games and really get into it. My desire to watch games now is very low. Next to no entertainment value. At least the BPL season has kicked off again.

Canuck luck.

Just when the hockey team is at a low ebb, the "competition in the city" drops the ball (see the Grizzlies during the Keenan dark ages..)

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Good for Brett Levis, one of the few bright spots this season.

Sam Adekugbe is starting matches for Brighton & Hove Albion's first team (in the Championship) and scoring, but apparently he wasn't good enough to get playing time on the Whitecaps disastrous backline? What a misjudgment by management.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
Sam Adekugbe is starting matches for Brighton & Hove Albion's first team (in the Championship) and scoring, but apparently he wasn't good enough to get playing time on the Whitecaps disastrous backline? What a misjudgment by management.

One game. One goal.

OMG did we give up a goal per game defender???? *PANIC!*

:help:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
More that it speaks to management's talent evaluation that Brighton could find a place for Sam to start on their squad and Vancouver couldn't. Also he has 1 goal in 2 starts as I understand it.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Anyways as Bob Lenarduzzi watches $6 tickets go unclaimed tonight I hope the appeal of having a dynamic, if inconsistent, young Canadian international on the roster crosses his mind.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Up 2-0 against SKC at half time, Techera and Hurtado with the goals thus far.

Amazingly Aird looks a lot better when he's playing in midfield. Unsurprising to me as I think he'd make a better RM than RB. He's got the energy and pace to track back, plus he has some quality in delivering crosses.

Also, Robinson is playing a 4-4-2 instead of a 4-2-3-1. See how teams don't adapt when you show them a different formation. I'd be in favour of training a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-4-1 formation. Play 4-4-2 when tied or losing and the other two when you're ahead.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
There was an interesting piece in Sportsnet about how Robbo hates 2 guys up top, but he needs to given that Vancouver doesn't have that elite 9. Could to see he's adapted a bit. Though that first-touch chip Hurtado had on his goal...woof...

Aird should never play RB again. The single worst thing the Caps between season was thinking Aird could slot in to replace Beitashour. What a disaster.

That Kansas keeper should retire after losing a contested header to Techera.

Brett Levis looks solid. What a find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad