2017 Usports off-season Recruiting

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
If you can believe Twitter, several 'Q' guys have "committed" to teams. It will be late summer/early fall before things shake out.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I could see where recruiting would be "harder" for UdeM than perhaps other schools. French speaking kids can go to UQTR over UdeM. Not many OHL or WHL kids want to go to a "French" school. Other QMJHL grads would prefer an "English" school over UdeM.

I would like to see them succeed as it makes the conference better.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I was going to mention that, but I knew that a UNB guy would chime in. French guys have also gone to Dal and SFX to name two other schools.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I could see where recruiting would be "harder" for UdeM than perhaps other schools. French speaking kids can go to UQTR over UdeM. Not many OHL or WHL kids want to go to a "French" school. Other QMJHL grads would prefer an "English" school over UdeM.

I don't think he could be blamed for poor recruiting when he has such a small pool compared to other teams. Might have been some things going on behind the scenes. Maybe timbit will be along to fill us in.

I would like to see them succeed as it makes the conference better.

Agreed. I miss the old UNB v Moncton rivalry.

BadgerKnight

Sep 4, 2008
CCHL Players to CIS

As per the CCHL website
2017-18
TEAM ...............................PLAYER ........................ SCHOOL
CUMBERLAND GRADS.........JARED LESLIE................. UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO
HAWKESBURY HAWKS........JONATHAN CYR.................DALHOUSIE UNIVERSITY
HAWKESBURY HAWKS........TYLER COOPER................LAURENTIAN UNIVERSITY
KEMPTVILLE 73'S..............NICHOLAS BISSONNETTE..ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE
KEMPTVILLE 73'S..............ALEX ROW.......................QUEENS UNIVERSITY
KEMPTVILLE 73'S..............NICHOLAS HODGINS........UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA
SMITHS FALLS BEARS........TRE FOLKES....................RYERSON UNIVERSITY
http://centraljuniorhockeyleague.ca/view/centraljuniorhockeyleague/cis

Xavier Couture, Cumberland is to also join Laurentian (https://twitter.com/LUVoyageurs)

Last edited:

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Not recruiting news but we might as well use this thread as a catch-all for off-season news...

Serge Bourgeois has been let go as head coach of Moncton

This doesn't surprise me too much, super nice guy, but the program has been below average in the AUS since 2009 and mainly after Serge took over.

They seemed to be filled with more and more Tier II junior players rather than Q players as each year goes by. Interest in the Aigles Bleues seems to have faded a bit in the home attendance as well, could the Alumni have stepped in?

Finder24

Dec 22, 2015
This doesn't surprise me too much, super nice guy, but the program has been below average in the AUS since 2009 and mainly after Serge took over.

They seemed to be filled with more and more Tier II junior players rather than Q players as each year goes by. Interest in the Aigles Bleues seems to have faded a bit in the home attendance as well, could the Alumni have stepped in?

Working on an article this week that goes into more detail, but yes, the alumni stepped in. There's a group lead by an ex-governor of New Brunswick who are investing a fair amount in the program.

Moncton has been very frustrated lately with their inability to recruit top-end francophone talent. UNB has become a popular spot, and the Aigles Bleus are frustrated with the fact that UQTR is taking something like 10 QMJHLers and don't have a roster cap.

Bottom line, Moncton needs to made their school a highly desirable spot for francophone players if they want to become a serious threat in the AUS again.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
"Moncton has been very frustrated lately with their inability to recruit top-end francophone talent. UNB has become a popular spot, and the Aigles Bleus are frustrated with the fact that UQTR is taking something like 10 QMJHLers and don't have a roster cap."

I just thought that this was worth repeating!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad