2017 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (March 16th-19th in Fredericton, NB)

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Boy I wish they'd go back to the 4 divisions.

4 games against each team of your own division, 12 games against teams from other divisions.

You'd have such high rivalry game, it could only help drawing some crowds. And who says more crowds says more revenues to promote the game.

And come playoff time, first round against your own division, second round, most point against left points between the two closest divisions (Far West vs West, East vs Far East) in 2 out of 3 matchups so that the two best teams don't end up facing each other.

I'm not sure why you have this wish. You had Carleton - UQTR, then McGill - UQTR. If Concordia had held it's position, you'd have also had McGill-Concordia. All the great rivalries in one playoff season.

I've heard they are going back to 4 Divisions. I know who will be thrilled about that: Queen's, RMC, and the other Mid-East teams who will now be able to avoid UQTR, McGill, Carleton, Ottawa, and Concordia until the East Finals.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I'm not sure why you have this wish. You had Carleton - UQTR, then McGill - UQTR. If Concordia had held it's position, you'd have also had McGill-Concordia. All the great rivalries in one playoff season.

I've heard they are going back to 4 Divisions. I know who will be thrilled about that: Queen's, RMC, and the other Mid-East teams who will now be able to avoid UQTR, McGill, Carleton, Ottawa, and Concordia until the East Finals.

Total conjecture here: I wouldn't be surprised if they went back to four divisions, but still used the same playoff format - division winners would get top two seeds, then the next 6 teams would get in, regardless of division. I get the impression that any realignment would be more for the purposes of regular season scheduling, and we'd see the amount of interdivisional games go down. I know that many coaches and administrators don't like the increased travel and expense involved with so many East-West crossover games.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Total conjecture here: I wouldn't be surprised if they went back to four divisions, but still used the same playoff format - division winners would get top two seeds, then the next 6 teams would get in, regardless of division. I get the impression that any realignment would be more for the purposes of regular season scheduling, and we'd see the amount of interdivisional games go down. I know that many coaches and administrators don't like the increased travel and expense involved with so many East-West crossover games.

That's possible, but I think the admin also want to avoid the long-distance playoff match-ups. McGill - Laurentian was brutal for travel, especially when it has to be booked at the last minute. Could you imagine a UQTR - Laurentian matchup? That's an 11-hour bus trip.

Even if they do playoffs at the Conference level, the imbalanced schedule would be more favourable to the Mid-East teams (presumably, Queen's, RMC, Laurentian, Nipissing, UOIT). I'm sure the admin at those schools are more heavily in favour than other schools.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB out-shoots SMU 50-16, yet lose 3-2. The V-Reds 4th straight playoff loss to SMU at the Forum.

St. FX sweeps Acadia with a 5-4 OT win and earns a trip to the University Cup. Leading 4-2 in the 3rd period, Michael Clarke of Acadia took a terrible 5 minute major penalty and X scored twice on it to tie it up before Matt Needham won it in the first overtime period. Another disappointing playoff performance from the Axemen.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Halifax Forum Benches

I thought something was odd when I was watching the first period, but then figure it out. UNB's bench is in, or bias, to the SMU end which means they have a long change twice a game (1st and 3rd) period - strange layout.

It also increases the chances of off-sides in those periods.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Two(2) more Teams to UCup

With USask and ALB winnng their series - we have two more confirmed entries/teams attending UCup55 in Fredericton. So with a chance at some new blood (CAL & MRU) we have the same two teams from last year and the 2014 Finalists.

OUA
Three of the remaining four teams have a chance:
McGill - Queen's
and
York - Windsor

Queen's hasn't been to a UCup in ages. York was last their when it was held in Fredericton (both years 2003 & 2004). McGill & Windsor were in Saskatoon in 2014. So there is a chance to see some 'new' blood.

AUS
Two of three, not including UNB have a chance:

a) UNB wins AUS Semi-finals, SMU vs ACD for 3rd spot and 'Host' seed.
b) UNB loses AUS Semi-finals, SMU & SFX advance as AUS Finalist.

No one new however - SFX has been their the last two years with ACD attending in 2015 and SMU last year.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières

It's indeed more about season meetings. Come playoff time, you face who you face. The fact that McGill and UQTR had not faced each other since November before their series makes no sense to me. No buildup at all.

Plus, with less travel, it gives teams more possibilities of week games, which draw more, and money to grow the game with marketing. (well, that's what should be done, the extra cash might just get cut from the budget as well).

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Going with SMU over Acadia. Don't trust the Axemen to get the job done.

I think Acadia will take it. Unlike UNB, they play a very physical game, and I suspect they will start by getting the puck deep and just pound the SMU d-men. And then take every opportunity to finish their checks on the forwards, especially on Garlent and Repaci. It probably won't be pretty, but the Axemen will probably shorten the Huskies bench even more.

Cheveldave is going to be busy. Again.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I think Acadia will take it. Unlike UNB, they play a very physical game, and I suspect they will start by getting the puck deep and just pound the SMU d-men. And then take every opportunity to finish their checks on the forwards, especially on Garlent and Repaci. It probably won't be pretty, but the Axemen will probably shorten the Huskies bench even more.

Cheveldave is going to be busy. Again.

Similar to 2014 - SMU defeats UNB in four - three games were by 1 goal and two of those were in OT, but they were never a threat in the Best of 5 Finals vs Acadia. They lost the series 3-1 and their win was the lone tight 1 goal game in the series.

Now, that Acadia team had more skill; Heelis, Thompson, Cazzola & Owens

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I wonder if SMU is expecting any of their injured guys back?

That series is exactly what scares me about a single elimination tournament...no matter how much better you might be, all it takes is a hot goalie and a struggling power play/special teams and you are done. Although, I suppose the same applies to every team.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yep...very lame. I was expecting Saturday...Sunday at the very latest. I thought it had to finish up at least a week before the University Cup, but I guess not as game 3 would be Friday and the tournament starts the following Thursday.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Yep...very lame. I was expecting Saturday...Sunday at the very latest. I thought it had to finish up at least a week before the University Cup, but I guess not as game 3 would be Friday and the tournament starts the following Thursday.

I believe each conference has to finish no later than the Saturday before UCup (or sooner). The OUA Queen's Cup and Bronze game are on that Saturday (11th)

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I have to admit when UNB outshoots the Huskies 50-16 in SMU's own rink and lost 3-2 I thought to myself oh boy here we go again.

It seems every year either SMU or St FX give UNB fits in the playoffs.

If any team knows how to play a system vs UNB its Peddles Xmen, I still have nightmares about UNB's 27-0 start to the year (2009-10)and X beat them last game of the season and swept the best of 5 playoffs series 3-0. I think it was game 2 UNB outshot st fx 35-6 and lost 3-2. 6 shots!!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The Huskies put on a clinic on how to shut down UNB's power play. They made it tough for UNB to even get in the zone by lining everyone up across the blue line and, when they did get in the zone, the Huskies were very aggressive and pressured the points to force turnovers/bad decisions...something I didn't see too many teams try during the season.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
That's possible, but I think the admin also want to avoid the long-distance playoff match-ups. McGill - Laurentian was brutal for travel, especially when it has to be booked at the last minute. Could you imagine a UQTR - Laurentian matchup? That's an 11-hour bus trip.

Even if they do playoffs at the Conference level, the imbalanced schedule would be more favourable to the Mid-East teams (presumably, Queen's, RMC, Laurentian, Nipissing, UOIT). I'm sure the admin at those schools are more heavily in favour than other schools.

This probably belongs in the OUA thread but since it's here I'll chime in.

From a scheduling perspective, 4 divisions worked well with 4 teams per division, it would work less well with 5 and would likely create more scheduling imbalances than existed before.

There were a couple of different scheduling iterations when they had the 4 divisions, but the one that I felt worked best was when they had the 24 game schedule. Far East and Far West teams played the other teams in their own division 4 times, the teams in the geographically closest "mid" division twice, and the 4 teams in the the geographically farthest division once. Windsor and Lakehead were the exceptions as they each played 2 double headers against the mid-East team and missed the other mid East teams. Far East and Far West teams did not play each other. The mid West and mid East teams played everybody and only played the teams within their own division 3 times.

When they went to the 28 game sched, Far East and Far West interlock games were added, and I can't remember what happened with the schedules for the "mid" teams. At the time, Western's coach Clarke Singer was a strong advocate for the Far East and Far West interlock because he wanted the Mustangs to play UQTR and McGill in order to have more tough games - Western regularly got smoked at the Nationals and the feeling was they were playing too many 10-1 cream puff games in the regular season and were not battle tested when they got to the playoffs. The competitiveness of the league was not nearly as balanced as it is now.

If they go to 4 divisions, things line up pretty well and my assumption is that they'd look like this

Far West: Lakehead, Windsor, Western, Laurier, Waterloo
Mid West: Brock, Guelph, Ryerson, York, Toronto
Mid East: Laurentian, Nipissing, UOIT, Queen's, RMC
Far East: Carleton, Ottawa, Concordia, McGill, UQTR

Really, the only one that sucks from a rivalry standpoint is Guelph being in the Mid West rather than Far West, given how close they are to Waterloo. To get around this, they could put UOIT in the mid West, Guelph in the far West and Lakehead in the mid East (Lakehead is flying to Toronto and then busing anyway, so any division other than the Far East would work for them). But I think because Lakehead plays doubleheaders, they need to keep them in the same division as Windsor, who have traditionally played the offset doubleheaders.
Now, how they make the schedule would be really interesting...

Last edited:

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Now, how they make the schedule would be really interesting...

Did some thinking about this a while back. Stick with me here, this is complicated :)

A) For a 28-game schedule, you can start with 4 games against teams in your own division (8 home, 8 road) - There are your first 16 games.

B) You can play each team in your other geographically-aligned division twice. But some teams would need to play a 6-4 home/road split, while some would play a 4-6 home-road split (in alternating years). The reason you cant do a straight home and home is because you can't do home-and-home for the last two games of the schedule, which could be...

C) ...2 games against teams from the other side of the alignment (what we think of now as East v. West games). These games would either be both on the road, or both at home, depending on the year and the home-road split from section B, above. So, if you get 6 home games from section B, your two games from section C are on the road (and vice versa). That gives you 28 games, 14 home, 14 road.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Queen's with an opening game upset over McGill. Kevin Bailie stoping 40 of 41 shots for the win. In a short series like this a hot goaltender can steal it. Still think the Redmen will be too much for them though.
York over Windsor. Expect them to close it out Friday night.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Queen's with an opening game upset over McGill. Kevin Bailie stoping 40 of 41 shots for the win. In a short series like this a hot goaltender can steal it. Still think the Redmen will be too much for them though.
York over Windsor. Expect them to close it out Friday night.

I have to disagree on the Queen's-McGill assessment - The Gaels are a deep and talented team, and they certainly *can* win without Bailie stealing the series - by that, I mean this isn't like when Waterloo beat Alberta in the '13 UCup, when they had one path to victory (Hartigan stealing a game). Queen's could absolutely split a home-and-home with McGill in a number of different ways, despite how poorly the offense has been lately - in their last four games, they've averaged 23 shots on goal, and have scored 5 goals (excluding one empty-netter). If the offense starts clicking, McGill will be in trouble.

Having said all that, I think McGill is in trouble anyway - Bailie has consistently been one of the top 2 or 3 goaltenders in the country, and he's playing out of his mind right now (his playoff stat line: 5-2, 0.99, .972, 2 SO). I honestly believe the Gaels could score three times in the next two games, and end up with a Queen's Cup title.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I have to disagree on the Queen's-McGill assessment - The Gaels are a deep and talented team, and they certainly *can* win without Bailie stealing the series - by that, I mean this isn't like when Waterloo beat Alberta in the '13 UCup, when they had one path to victory (Hartigan stealing a game). Queen's could absolutely split a home-and-home with McGill in a number of different ways, despite how poorly the offense has been lately - in their last four games, they've averaged 23 shots on goal, and have scored 5 goals (excluding one empty-netter). If the offense starts clicking, McGill will be in trouble.

Having said all that, I think McGill is in trouble anyway - Bailie has consistently been one of the top 2 or 3 goaltenders in the country, and he's playing out of his mind right now (his playoff stat line: 5-2, 0.99, .972, 2 SO). I honestly believe the Gaels could score three times in the next two games, and end up with a Queen's Cup title.

Queen's has an All-Canadian goalie, one All-Canadian Def, and a couple of skilled forwards. After that, it drops off dramatically.
Lest we forget that this Queen's team dropped a 3-2 decision to RMC in the Carr-Harris Cup when their top unit was in Kazhakstan ... and RMC fully deserved that victory, enjoying a 3-0 lead until late in the Third.
Queen's is not deep. McGill is. If Queen's advances it will be entirely due to Baillie.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Queen's has an All-Canadian goalie, one All-Canadian Def, and a couple of skilled forwards. After that, it drops off dramatically.
Lest we forget that this Queen's team dropped a 3-2 decision to RMC in the Carr-Harris Cup when their top unit was in Kazhakstan ... and RMC fully deserved that victory, enjoying a 3-0 lead until late in the Third.
Queen's is not deep. McGill is. If Queen's advances it will be entirely due to Baillie.

Totally agree....and Baillie could steal this. The reference to Hartigan is a good one...I see a major tilt in the rink towards Baillie if Queen's makes it to the Nationals. It could be ugly, or it could be ridiculous like Alberta/Waterloo. And just to say it...RMC had their most competitive team in years this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad