GDT: 2017 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
now
Gulutzan confirms Smith starts tomorrow in Edmonton. Hints Glass-Stajan-Hathaway will indeed be the fourth line. #Flames

Bold prediction: that 4th line gets taken advantage of like Grossman on our bottom pairing did last year.
Bolder prediction: that line sees about 8 minutes of ice the entire game.

Maybe Stajan sees a bit more on the PK.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Boldest prediction: Edmonton has homeice, so they will get their preferred line matches. 8 minutes is all it will take to cost us a goal.
That'd be an improvement over the SS Grossman, which would be nice.
latest

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Boldest prediction: Edmonton has homeice, so they will get their preferred line matches. 8 minutes is all it will take to cost us a goal.
I think you're overstating how bad it will be. Stajan is a good, responsible centre for the fourth line. He can hold his own, even if he can't keep up with McDavid. Hathaway is very tenacious and has a high motor, so I'm not worried about him. And Glass is probably a bit of a concern. But I think Gulutzan will probably be careful about putting them out when he knows McDouglas won't be going out.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I don't understand the logic of sending down Jankowski.

He earned a spot. Move Stajan to the wing if you're intent on playing Jankowski as a center. Who cares about losing Hamilton or Hathaway to waivers. They're dime a dozen 4th line energy guys.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I'd say he's been a mediocre 4th liner at best. I just think there are better options. If Douggie weren't here, I don't think Freddie would be either.

You think so little of Treliving and Gulutzan that they are actively making our team worse to make our 3rd-6th best player happy? That is some pretty god awful level managing if that is the case.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Bold prediction: that 4th line gets taken advantage of like Grossman on our bottom pairing did last year.

There isn't a combination of guys that we have that would change that prediction.

A Hathaway-Jankowski- insert other guy people want here line would be much worse.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Not going to lie, after Jankowski lit up the preseason, I really thought he was coming up. Not a troll, just curious.

He didn't light up the preseason though, so that would be the first issue.

Second, if they want to keep him at center there really isn't a spot for him with Monahan, Backlund and Bennett ahead of him and Stajan being a better fit for the 4th line.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I really don't get why so many people are keen to throw Jankowski on the 4th line getting limited ice tiem and act like it is magically better for his development than top line minutes in the AHL.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I really don't get why so many people are keen to throw Jankowski on the 4th line getting limited ice tiem and act like it is magically better for his development than top line minutes in the AHL.

Playing in the NHL with the opportunity to immediately move up the lineup when someone inevitibly struggles or gets hurt, building a rapport with the coach, facing NHL defensemen, killing NHL penalties, playing off the ice with elite skilled teammates and growing from that...eventually contending for the Calder Trophy with your immense talent.

vs

Playing in the AHL with the opportunity to get a callup for spot minutes while the coach treats you like a hand-grenade AHLer who's never played in the league, facing AHL defensemen as everyone handwaves your success as being against AHLers, killing AHL penalties, playing off the ice with the likes of Luke Gazdic as the "team leaders" and on the ice with prospects who've about played as many or less NHL games as you have while approaching your waive eligibility status with minimal NHL GP and generally being on bust trajectory in the eyes of most, which in turn directly affects the beginning of your season the year after.

It's pretty much the difference between how you treat a Mark Stone and an Anton Lander. Is Jankowski an Anton Lander? That's what you've decided if you send him down. Jankowski is a Mark Stone. He should be in the league that accelerates his ascension to an excellent hockey player.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I don't really see what Jankowski has left to gain in the AHL. He already had a very productive Pro season as a rookie. Another year in the AHL for him sounds like stagnating to me.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

And there's Jankowski going down to Stockton. Really not a fan of that; this kid won a spot. Yeah his last preseason game was 'meh' but having him centre a line versus Stajan wouldn't harm this team.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That's one of the most pathetic management decisions I've ever seen. Jankowski earned a spot and is very obviously ready to contribute at the NHL level.

Wondering if he's starting to question his decision of not going UFA . . .

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

And there's Jankowski going down to Stockton. Really not a fan of that; this kid won a spot. Yeah his last preseason game was 'meh' but having him centre a line versus Stajan wouldn't harm this team.

Earned and never given, but also sometimes earned and not given anyway. Not a fan of this. That said, it doesn't mean Jankowski will spend the majority of the year in the AHL. We hopefully will see him back up soon.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That's one of the most pathetic management decisions I've ever seen. Jankowski earned a spot and is very obviously ready to contribute at the NHL level.

Wondering if he's starting to question his decision of not going UFA . . .

He's Call-up #1 for Calgary, and will play 18+ minutes a night in Stockton. Not the worst thing in the world.

Sep 13, 2009
Playing in the NHL with the opportunity to immediately move up the lineup when someone inevitibly struggles or gets hurt, building a rapport with the coach, facing NHL defensemen, killing NHL penalties, playing off the ice with elite skilled teammates and growing from that...eventually contending for the Calder Trophy with your immense talent.

vs

Playing in the AHL with the opportunity to get a callup for spot minutes while the coach treats you like a hand-grenade AHLer who's never played in the league, facing AHL defensemen as everyone handwaves your success as being against AHLers, killing AHL penalties, playing off the ice with the likes of Luke Gazdic as the "team leaders" and on the ice with prospects who've about played as many or less NHL games as you have while approaching your waive eligibility status with minimal NHL GP and generally being on bust trajectory in the eyes of most, which in turn directly affects the beginning of your season the year after.

It's pretty much the difference between how you treat a Mark Stone and an Anton Lander. Is Jankowski an Anton Lander? That's what you've decided if you send him down. Jankowski is a Mark Stone. He should be in the league that accelerates his ascension to an excellent hockey player.

Bro, I think you're overreacting. Jankowski's likely going to be the first call-up. You're acting as if he's going to spend the entire season in the minors. He'll get his chance for the very same reasons you just mentioned - slumps, injuries, etc.

Bigger question is who gets sent down once Jagr arrives - Hathaway, F. Hamilton, Lazar maybe?

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Bro, I think you're overreacting. Jankowski's likely going to be the first call-up. You're acting as if he's going to spend the entire season in the minors. He'll get his chance for the very same reasons you just mentioned - slumps, injuries, etc.

Bigger question is who gets sent down once Jagr arrives - Hathaway, F. Hamilton, Lazar maybe?
Most likely Hathaway, as he cleared waivers yesterday and can be assigned to the AHL without waivers before 30 days are up.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Jankowski had a solid pre season. Wouldn't call it great though. The type of role he'd have wouldn't really be suited to him or help him this year. He's only had one pro season. He's going to be first or second call up. I'm guessing the Flames have discussed in depth specific things they'd like him to work/improve on, and have shared that with the AhL coaching staff as well.

Next season with Stajans contract up should be the year he's for sure making this team. That's what I've always assumed would be the case tbh.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Exactly. Plus the Flames need a checking line, which is something that is not exactly Janko's forte

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I'm not going to freak out yet. Jankowski could be back up as soon as Saturday as I can't seriously believe that GG and Tre think that any of Brouwer, Glass, Stajan and Hatheway deserve to be up over Jankowski. I also don't see the point of him stagnating in the AHL some more. He doesn't need AHL experience, he needs NHL experience. He has proven he is capable at that level.

If he's not up in two weeks though? Then yeah, I'll be pissed.

With what he showed in the Preseason and AHL last year, I truly wouldn't be surprised if he passed Bennett and Ferland on the Quality chart by the end of the season. Of course we'll see how those two play this year as well, but if they don't improve over last year then Jankowski passing their 20 point seasons isn't much of a stretch.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not going to freak out yet. Jankowski could be back up as soon as Saturday as I can't seriously believe that GG and Tre think that any of Brouwer, Glass, Stajan and Hatheway deserve to be up over Jankowski. I also don't see the point of him stagnating in the AHL some more. He doesn't need AHL experience, he needs NHL experience. He has proven he is capable at that level.

If he's not up in two weeks though? Then yeah, I'll be pissed.

With what he showed in the Preseason and AHL last year, I truly wouldn't be surprised if he passed Bennett and Ferland on the Quality chart by the end of the season. Of course we'll see how those two play this year as well, but if they don't improve over last year then Jankowski passing their 20 point seasons isn't much of a stretch.
Do you not understand that different players have different roles on an NHL club? Brouwer and Stajan are two of our best penalty killers and 2 of the 3 forwards we use in 5 on 3 situations. Glass and Hathaway are pure checking forwards. They are not competing with Jankowski for a job, Jankowski needed to earn a top 9 spot because that 4th line will be a checking line.

Reactions: Cyrano
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad