GDT: 2017 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think that's more of a negative thing towards the rest of the team than a positive thing towards Glass :laugh:

Honestly, I was impressed with him as well away from the puck. He skated fast, finished checks, and forechecked hard. His obvious flaw is doing anything with the puck.

The thing is, just being realistic with his role. He's going to be going out there and wearing guys down for a shift, and that's really it. And he does that okay. If you stick a Jankowski out there on the fourth line, then he's going to be in tough getting into the flow of the game and making skilled plays with so few shifts during the game. Hard for him to really impact the game. But fourth line guys can make a big difference in momentum just by laying some hits for 30 seconds, getting everyone pumped, and sitting their asses back down on the bench.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Before the season I would have been really pissed with us signing Glass but after watching him (and maybe more importantly others) I am ok with it.

He should sign for cheap enough that if he isn't playing well he can be taken out of the line-up. He can rotate with Hathaway and Hamilton, maybe Lazar, in the 4th line winger role to bring grit, hitting and the occasionaly punch up.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Signing Glass and sending Jankowski down....

tgihd4vlq9.gif

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I have no issues with Glass being signed. Lost Engelland and Bouma, so adding a bit of sand paper won't hurt (Glass is an A+ locker room guy too, from what I've heard from Ranger fans).

I had hoped Jankowski would be in the lineup opening night, but injuries will happen and he'll be the first recall.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
How hard can it be to send Stajan down? Get him off the team.

Why?

He is good for the role that he fills, good in the room, good in the community and we don't save much money by sending him down.

There really seems like no reason at all to send him down.

Reactions: Cyrano

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Why?

He is good for the role that he fills, good in the room, good in the community and we don't save much money by sending him down.

There really seems like no reason at all to send him down.

It's not about money, it's roster spots, so Jankowski can stay. I don't care if he's "good in the community". That's not an on-ice thing, it's irrelevant.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It's not about money, it's roster spots, so Jankowski can stay. I don't care if he's "good in the community". That's not an on-ice thing, it's irrelevant.

But if it is a Jankowski playing thing then Stajan sits in the press box. There are a lot better options to send down to the minors than Stajan if it is a roster spot you are concerned about. The community thing does matter when the decision is press box versus AHL.

Also Stajan is likely a much better fit for the 4th line than Jankowski anyways.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

What helps Jankowski more? Playing 8 minutes a game on the 4th line and alternating as a scratch or being top line in Stockton?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Not sure why sending Stajan to the Heat is mandatory; not like he's a liability out there.

Pretty sure Hamilton would clear waivers, and if it comes down to it, so would Glass. Also, not really a problem until Glass is signed (or Jagr is made official), as the Flames currently have a 22 man roster.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Tanner Glass was good during preseason, though.

I agree
Not sure why sending Stajan to the Heat is mandatory; not like he's a liability out there.

Pretty sure Hamilton would clear waivers, and if it comes down to it, so would Glass. Also, not really a problem until Glass is signed (or Jagr is made official), as the Flames currently have a 22 man roster.

Probably waiting for Jagr to be official, then sending Jankowski down and signing Glass.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

Something's gotta give

And it's beginning to seem like Dougie got Freddie a promotion

Once Jagr arrives, they'll push Brouwer to the fourth line and shift Glass to the LW, Freddie will stay on as the 13th forward.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Freddie has been a good fourth-liner while playing at the NHL level for the Flames. Not sure why the hate.

I'd say he's been a mediocre 4th liner at best. I just think there are better options. If Douggie weren't here, I don't think Freddie would be either.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
now
Gulutzan confirms Smith starts tomorrow in Edmonton. Hints Glass-Stajan-Hathaway will indeed be the fourth line. #Flames

Bold prediction: that 4th line gets taken advantage of like Grossman on our bottom pairing did last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad