OT: 2017 Toronto Blue Jays & General MLB Discussion

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Joey Bats spicy meatball. The AL East kinda seems weak this year. They are definitely still in this.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Duda, goes deep in the 3rd. Thought I'd give this a bump. Is there still a chance?

Well, amazingly, in spite of their best efforts, the Jays are still in the mix. Mostly because of the intense parity in the AL. The Jays can catch the Rays today with a win, and they just need to keep marching towards .500. It looks like the second wild card won't be much above that mark.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
can we just rebuild already?(or at least retool?) teams a flop as it is, trade all the older guys

and, MOST IMPORTANTLY.....

CHANGE THE DAMN TEAM CULTURE TO ACTUALLY PLAY SMALL BALL AND NOT JUST GO FOR HOMERS ALL THE DAMN TIME.
/rant

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
can we just rebuild already?(or at least retool?) teams a flop as it is, trade all the older guys

and, MOST IMPORTANTLY.....

CHANGE THE DAMN TEAM CULTURE TO ACTUALLY PLAY SMALL BALL AND NOT JUST GO FOR HOMERS ALL THE DAMN TIME.
/rant

Well, first off, I'm pretty sure analytics actually side with the Jays on that last point, so doubtful that they change that approach. I agree that it's frustrating how it seems like they are unwilling to change the approach when they should, though. If you get a leadoff double in a tie game late, it's basically unacceptable to not try to move the runner over as the first priority as far as I'm concerned. And I don't care who's coming to the plate.

It's not easy to rebuild the Jays, though, given their current construction. They don't have many vets with value who could be traded for big returns. And the ones that do, they have control over for a while. But, on the flip side, it's possible they don't need to be rebuilt, given they have Bo Bichette and Vladi Guerrero Jr. almost ready to break through. The factors that have really hurt the Jays this year are Bautista being done as a power hitter, Donaldson forgetting how to be Donaldson for a large portion of the season, Sanchez not existing and Estrada forgetting how to be Estrada.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd argue the Jays are playing small ball over their last stretch. Also, Donaldson is being Donaldson the last 30 days and he is the only true game changer on this roster. It's to bad other than Stroman that all our starters have been crap, Osuna has been amazing this year and they are still right there.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'd argue the Jays are playing small ball over their last stretch. Also, Donaldson is being Donaldson the last 30 days and he is the only true game changer on this roster. It's to bad other than Stroman that all our starters have been crap, Osuna has been amazing this year and they are still right there.

Morales was brought in to be a RISP machine like he always has been, but he's hitting like .160 with RISP.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Morales was brought in to be a RISP machine like he always has been, but he's hitting like .160 with RISP.

Morales has typically been a 2nd half hitter. I'm hoping he heats up down the stretch, but your right he hasn't met expectations this year.

I thought he would be a monster hitting in TO.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
While I am not *really* a Jays fan if we're being honest, is it a bad thing that every time I see Osuna come out, the Benny Hill theme starts playing in my head?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sad news today. Roy Halladay has passed away in a plane crash. This really hurts. A terrific player and an even better person.
He will be missed.
Really upsetting:(

Reactions: Flameshomer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->