OT: 2017 Toronto Blue Jays & General MLB Discussion

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sounds like the classic Jays to me :laugh:

Im actually really optimistic about this season. I think they'll need about a month to put it together and play as a team.

I heard a baseball analyst say he thinks Liriano has the stuff to win a Cy Young. He'll need to get his ERA under 100 :sarcasm:, but he could be a key component this season if he can play consistently.

The heck? Liriano had a great spring, but he's an older guy who struggled for most of last year. Expecting him to suddenly be the best pitcher in the league is absurd. :laugh:

I'm just disappointed that the team can't hit. You've got guys at every position who can hit, and they just go up and make easy out after easy out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The heck? Liriano had a great spring, but he's an older guy who struggled for most of last year. Expecting him to suddenly be the best pitcher in the league is absurd. :laugh:

I'm just disappointed that the team can't hit. You've got guys at every position who can hit, and they just go up and make easy out after easy out.
Cy Young stuff =/= will win a Cy Young

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ya blew it Shapiro/Rogers. This team isn't the same without Eddy.

I really don't see a big difference between Edwin and Morales. We're talking maybe 10 HR's and 20 RBI's max. If Jose stays healthy, he should be able to single handily make up that difference.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So, the Jays are at least playing a little better lately, but Jose Bautista..... holy cow. This is probably as bad a start to the season as it is possible to have. He literally cannot hit MLB pitchers right now, and the sample size is getting more and more significant every game. He has two extra-base hits all season, six hits in total, and hasn't really come close to a homer. A single RBI, which was on a sac fly.

But more than that, he keeps coming up in situations with either a guy on second and none out or a guy on third with one out. And he keeps failing to make a productive out.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Bautista is a slow starter usually though. It's more the fly balls i could catch on my couch that zoom over his head that gets me.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Bautista is a slow starter usually though. It's more the fly balls i could catch on my couch that zoom over his head that gets me.

Slow starter, sure, but not like this. It's so weird after the WBC that he had to see him basically be minor-league level right now. He has zero timing.

I have no problem with his fielding so far, though. His arm/shoulder looks a ton better than last year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Jason Grilli sucks, too. I like him, but he's going to cost us too many games if he's relied upon in high-leverage situations.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bautista has always been streaky. He's not "done" :laugh:

He's not what he was 2 years ago, but it's pretty clear he can still play when you look at what he did at the Worlds. However without question he's currently playing like hot garbage at the plate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad