WC: 2017 Team USA

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Though Eichel was good today, more so on the defensive side of the puck. Great cross ice pass on the PP winner as well.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
For those of you that have caught most of the tournament. If you don't mind me asking a few Larkin related questions:

1) Who has he played with most of the time?
2) Is he lining up at Center or Wing?
3) General thoughts on how he has played?

As a Wings fan I was underwhelmed by his play this year for the Wings after having a pretty good rookie season. I've heard from multiple people that he's had a pretty good tournament but unfortunately I have not been able to catch any of the games. I'm wondering if he seems to be pushing the pace and taking any sort of control or is his better play a product of playing for a WAY better team.

Thank you in advance.

Aug 6, 2012
PHP:
For those of you that have caught most of the tournament. If you don't mind me asking a few Larkin related questions:

As a Wings fan I was underwhelmed by his play this year for the Wings after having a pretty good rookie season. I've heard from multiple people that he's had a pretty good tournament but unfortunately I have not been able to catch any of the games. I'm wondering if he seems to be pushing the pace and taking any sort of control or is his better play a product of playing for a WAY better team.

Thank you in advance.

Larkin is currently playing up the middle between Nelson & Schmaltz. He's been the teams workhorse up front, playing considerable minutes in every situation. He is definitely pushing the pace but less on the rush as usual which is a nice surprise.

He had a very good tournament last year too but it's a night and day difference in the maturity of his game since then. He hasn't been as flashy with entries and such but is playing a very dependable game in all three zones, part of why he's averaging the most minutes up front.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
PHP:

Larkin is currently playing up the middle between Nelson & Schmaltz. He's been the teams workhorse up front, playing considerable minutes in every situation. He is definitely pushing the pace but less on the rush as usual which is a nice surprise.

He had a very good tournament last year too but it's a night and day difference in the maturity of his game since then. He hasn't been as flashy with entries and such but is playing a very dependable game in all three zones, part of why he's averaging the most minutes up front.

I guess what I mean by pushing the pace is not necessarily using his speed but being a force on his line. I am basically hoping he isn't the passenger on this team. Based on your comments it appears he is not. Not that he is that on the Wings or anything but what I'm hoping he gets out of this tournament is a take charge type attitude. To not defer and realize he can be a star. I hope he continues to use his speed but I just was hoping to see some intelligence growth to his game because this NHL season to me it appeared he forced his speed way too often and got pushed outside where he is less effective. It's good to see that he has matured night and day since last years tournament I just hope the confidence carries over into the NHL season.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Thank you in advance.

He's a center and probably the team's best forward.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This team can be scary good with how young they are. They simply outworked this Russia team and really never let up, though stretches in the third was worrisome.

They need to shore up a few things like making sure a man is back and minimizing odd-man rushes, but overall not much else I can say about a team that beat Sweden and Russia and now holds it's fate against a Fin team that has played very sub-par so far.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Damn it Gaudreau where was this a month ago

The puck just wasn't going in a month ago. He's playing with some better players and this is the result.

6g 5a in his last 6gp of this tournament, all primary points.

And it's not like he was feasting off of weak teams; 2g and 2a came in big games vs Sweden and Russia.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
PHP:

Don't forget he's also centering the 1st PP unit of Hanifin, Lee, Eichel and Gaudreau. He's been terrific in all situations and deservedly plays the most and the most important minutes of all forwards. I didn't expect this to happen though. I'm surprised since he had a rough season and Blashill clearly lost trust in him. That changed pretty quickly in a different environment. I think since he's probably the fastest skater of the tournament, he's a much better player on European ice so that may helped his confidence. In the NHL he didn't have too much room since the rinks are smaller, defenders taller and I think many figured him out after his strong rookie campain. This World Cup may be just what he needed to get going again.

Same for Blashill btw. He had to take some heat after missing the playoffs with the Wings. The way he relied on Howard and Larkin during this tournament, this win over Russia was huge for him as well. He was under quite some pressure after losing the 1st game vs Germany but all of a sudden, it looks like he may be coaching the best team of the tournament.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
That was a really fun game. This team's resilience is impressive. It could have been really easy to lose focus when they went into the first intermission down 1-0 despite dominating the opening 20 like they did, but it didn't phase them.

Dylan Larkin is having a hell of a tournament. I know it was a bit of a down year for him, but Detroit's brass must be pumped about his performance so far. He's also the type of guy that's able to elevate his game in a Team USA jersey. I'm okay with that for the next 10-15 years.

Hayes and Skjei have been huge additions. The coaches need to get Skjei on the ice more.

Eichel is frustrated. With a few breaks he could easily be leading the team in scoring, but he's not getting any bounces right now. He's also been really sloppy with the puck for certain stretches, but hopefully he can pot a goal early in the QF. If he can get the first one, I imagine he'll rack up a few in short order.

Compher and Copp really struggled against Germany, but they've found their rhythm since that game. I'd like to see Bjork dress instead of Greenway as I think he's capable of contributing defensively at this level even in limited minutes.

If Hanifin can ever find consistency, he'll be great; otherwise, he's likely to be this generation's Bouwmeester. A guy with size, skating, and skill that can't consistently put it all together. He's been very inconsistent this tournament. He was bad against Germany, and then he's oscillated between okay and very good, and then today he really struggled. Unforced turnovers, awful pinches, etc. The pinches were the worst as so many of them were ill-timed. I counted multiple times where he pinched in long after his d-man partner had already moved up in the play, and it led to multiple odd-man rushes. He needs to be better.

It's an odd feeling going against Finland in the quarterfinals. It's not an impressive Finnish roster on paper, and they've struggled so far, but Finland tends to play us really well, and it has the makings of a trap game. Hopefully the team comes out prepared. If they're able to advance, they'd avoid Canada and Russia in the semifinals, which would be nice.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Again young US team choke against average Finland. I think biggest reason is that experienced teams have upper hand against young US teams when stakes are highest. Also Blashill failed with this team but i don't blame him too much.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Again young US team choke against average Finland. I think biggest reason is that experienced teams have upper hand against young US teams when stakes are highest. Also Blashill failed with this team but i don't blame him too much.

Experience yes, veteran pros, also they know how to play on the big ice. It's much more about positioning and constant discipline. You see the US give up at least one to two full breakaways per game because our d guys aren't paying attention for a second to their position.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Finland came out and got the game right were they wanted it. Get a lead, dump the puck to center ice or ice the puck when they got in trouble, counter attack, stack 3 or 4 players at the blueline and in the end get some good goaltending.

US isn't going to get a team like that in the Worlds for a while. Too bad.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Finland came out and got the game right were they wanted it. Get a lead, dump the puck to center ice or ice the puck when they got in trouble, counter attack, stack 3 or 4 players at the blueline and in the end get some good goaltending.

US isn't going to get a team like that in the Worlds for a while. Too bad.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. They accomplished nothing

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I kinda hope this is the last time we see Eichel at this tournament. Just an absolute embarrassment of a tournament for him.

You think of the talent and gifts this guy has, and see the lack effort he puts forward when representing his country. It's especially inexcusable because he's supposed to be looked to as a leader out there - he's​ one of the guys who sets the tone. With his talent, he should be taking this tournament apart. Instead he was the worst player on the team, with 0 goals in 8 games while being gifted 1st line / 1st unit PP ice time.

He was without a doubt our LVP.

satbank

Jan 11, 2014
I wonder if Eichel came here because his agent told him to so he can avoid the situation with coach/gm firing. Anyway, I said it before I hope they actually invite someone next time who wants to be there.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
That was utterly pitiful. It was so pitiful that I'm not even that upset about not being able to see Eichel and Gaudreau at the Olympics anymore. As far as I'm concerned these guys are retired after they turn 20 years old.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That was utterly pitiful. It was so pitiful that I'm not even that upset about not being able to see Eichel and Gaudreau at the Olympics anymore. As far as I'm concerned these guys are retired after they turn 20 years old.

I agree with you on Eichel.

But Gaudreau led the team in scoring and is still leading the tournament in goals . . . He didn't have a great game vs a stifling Finnish team (the whole team struggled), but at least he came to play this tournament. IMO he was the team's best player vs Germany, Sweden, Slovakia, and Russia and probably overall MVP. He's always played hard and produced when wearing the red white and blue.

WJC 7gp 7g 2a 9p +2
WC 16gp 8g 13a 21p +6

That's 23gp 15g 15a 30p +8 while representing the USA. If you include his World Cup experience, that jumps to 29gp 19g 20a 39p +12. I can't think of too many players with that sort of production, let alone American players. After a quick glance, it looks like Crosby, Panarin, Getzlaf, and Shipachyev are the only active NHL players who have played in at least 2 tournaments who have a higher career WC PPG average.

If he's not getting invited to international tournaments there's something wrong.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I wonder if Eichel came here because his agent told him to so he can avoid the situation with coach/gm firing. Anyway, I said it before I hope they actually invite someone next time who wants to be there.

I have to think it's something along those lines. Why else would he interrupt his summer to come all the way out to Germany when he clearly ​had no interest in playing?

The worst part is how infectious that attitude is. It only takes one guy to play a few lazy shifts to get everyone moving that direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad