WC: 2017 Team Russia

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
In 1998 Russia was riding on the shoulders of healthy and phenomenal Bure. 2002 was a team that played horrible hockey, just managed to get to bronze somehow, nothing to write home about. Is that what you call fine?

Yet both 98 and 02 teams were MILES better than EVERY team that came after: 06, 10, 14, and 16. In both coaching and roster. Defense alone (Gonchar, Mironov, Yushkevich, Tverdovsky, Zhitnik, etc.) was better than anybody in 10 (including injured Markov), 14, and 16.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Yet both 98 and 02 teams were MILES better than EVERY team that came after: 06, 10, 14, and 16. In both coaching and roster. Defense alone (Gonchar, Mironov, Yushkevich, Tverdovsky, Zhitnik, etc.) was better than anybody in 10 (including injured Markov), 14, and 16.

Not so sure about Nagano, but I have been to every game in Salt Lake City and that team wasn't good. Insanely outplayed by Czechs in Q-final, hugely outshot as far as I remember they managed somehow to win 1:0. Before that they played Finns in the round robin and it was one of the worst Russia's game I have seen. Please don't feed me this non-sense.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

"98 and '02 were the last years of the Soviet-trained players (Bure, Mogilny, Fedorov, Zhamnov, Yashin, etc). Those players who came after the Soviet era were decidedly less well-trained and less skilled than their Soviet-era counterparts. They were probably equally talented, but far less adequately trained, prepared and conditioned. It made a huge difference.

jimstark

May 22, 2014
Still though, without Panarin and Kucherov Russia wouldn't have been nearly as good this time around.

I stand correct with what i suggestedet earlier
Russia should base their WC team mostly on KHL players and the pick out the right players from NHL that are availeble. I am not saying we should not use NHL players that would be stupid (hey look at Kucherov and Panarin in the scoring race they were our best forwards and still Young they are among the best players in the world right now)
But we should stop taking over Ovi and players who are over the hill just becuase of their name...its a team we have to build and this russian team was very very good and promising for years to come

Watching Canada and Sweden tonight i must say i cant belive we did not crush Canada going into the 3 periode...our offense is so much better than Sweden.. we should won but now we say thank you to Sweden and i am very happy for them winning this gold.

jimstark

May 22, 2014
I think he say it pretty Clear:

We are happy with a bronze but not satisfied," said Kiselevich. "We didn’t lose to Team Canada yesterday, we lost to ourselves. Canada was good, but we played a stupid third period. We didn’t play for the gold, but got a bronze."

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
I wanted to comment on Russian helmet stickers. What an awful name for a website. I have no idea what it is and I will not visit it, but after every time the camera zoomed into the player it was annoying to see a printed word which looks like a combination of hate and you know the other word. Whoever in the federation agreed to this sponsor should be fired right on the spot.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I wanted to comment on Russian helmet stickers. What an awful name for a website. I have no idea what it is and I will not visit it, but after every time the camera zoomed into the player it was annoying to see a printed word which looks like a combination of hate and you know the other word. Whoever in the federation agreed to this sponsor should be fired right on the spot.

It's a car aftermarket stuff dealer.

tsamolotoff

May 7, 2017
Moscow
I really don't get hate towards Tkachev (and Plotnikov too) - were they at fault that the beaver (Znarok) chose to play only 2 lines in offense and 2 lines in PK situations? In the 3rd they had to play 10 minutes almost non-stop due to SKA defenders (and Kuznetsov) taking dumb penalties and were obviously overworked (while intercepting several really dangerous cross-passes and defusing other situations). Blame Znarok, or the players like Belov and Zub, not the PK team which did what it could while the 'stars' were either taking dumb penalties in the attack zone or somewhere close to our own blue line.

Overall, I think this WC showed that this 'let's put all good Russians into SKA/CSKA' approach is a degenerate thing that should be dismantled as soon as possible. Only real struggle against the teams of the same class/strength can teach our players how to beat Canada / the US (SKA lost only 8 games in the regular season, just imagine such thing in the NHL).

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
KHL needs more quality players on Eastern teams.

I'm an Avangard fan (real good team as we know), but no one from that team really deserved a spot. Same for Ak Bars outside of Tkachyov, or Salavat. Well besides snub Kaprizov who is CSKA bound.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
With some parity all will arrive. If just ever...

Soviet highest division had 12 teams, with all Soviet top players playing there. Now the KHL has almost 30 teams... I mean, even NHL players' skill level has been dropping constantly since all those new teams influx, and the KHL is just a joke league... alright, it's good for a players development, but nothing else...

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Soviet highest division had 12 teams, with all Soviet top players playing there. Now the KHL has almost 30 teams... I mean, even NHL players' skill level has been dropping constantly since all those new teams influx, and the KHL is just a joke league... alright, it's good for a players development, but nothing else...

I have said the same all along. Too many teams. It should be noted that until 1967, the NHL had only 6 teams. That meant that you had to be really good to find yourself on an NHL roster, and you had to play against the best possible competition in every game. That forces a player to raise his level of competition.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
But it was pretty much all about CSKA Moscow during Soviet times and that worked out well, didn´t it? I think the chemistry you get from that may even outplay good opponents - if you train hard as well. I think that may be what they are trying, but SKA being the politically supported team nowadays rather than CSKA.

Maybe we could se some great SKA - NHL team summit series in the future if this continues and that could lead into something greater.

I think this might be a step in the right direction actually, we will see thought, won´t be easy to get a new Kovalchuk every 5th year.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Znarok is pissing me off. He's rude and is never capable of admitting his many blunders and brainfarts. He's not capable of making his team play in an organized way - they could've beat Canada - Znarok didn't prepare the team for the 3rd period properly. He is incapable of taking responsibility for his actions. And when asked about this, he starts whining and attacking the journalists instead of admitting his mistakes.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

27 teams and part of them are foreign. Also, keep in mind every Russian team has 5 foreigners

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
More teams also means that (theoretically) more players can play top line minutes. This is why we should have a strong roster limit and prohibit two-way contracts for players O-22. SKA has 12 first-team defensemen in their roster! Twelve!!

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Znarok is pissing me off. He's rude and is never capable of admitting his many blunders and brainfarts. He's not capable of making his team play in an organized way - they could've beat Canada - Znarok didn't prepare the team for the 3rd period properly. He is incapable of taking responsibility for his actions. And when asked about this, he starts whining and attacking the journalists instead of admitting his mistakes.

Agreed, but he shouldn't have invited in the first time. At this point firing him would do more harm than good imho

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
agreed, he's a disgusting human being but at least he's not a hypocrite. you get what you see. i can appreciate this. canada was somewhat crappy. we were the better team. sad to lose in such way, true.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
The players seem to like Znarok for whatever reason, can't dismiss that

Well, Znarok probably has the charm of being a 'simple Russian man', but we need something more. That's simply not enough. He isn't capable of motivating his team to play a full 60 minutes and to make them play more disciplined hockey.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
agreed, he's a disgusting human being but at least he's not a hypocrite. you get what you see. i can appreciate this.

I admit I get a kick out of him too sometimes, but at some point, when he keeps on blaming everyone BUT himself and his decisions, it starts to get annoying. And if he can't beat Canada, that's the not the kind of result fans of Team Russia expect and he should damn well admit his own share of the fault instead of blaming everything on the 'journalists' and on anyone who dares question his decision. Just admit it Znarok, you're not a good coach.

jimstark

May 22, 2014
Well this last 20 min from the Canada game has really turn it into many things from " maybe its bad to have KHL to get rid of Znarok and so on " ( tough i get the thing about maybe KHL is getting to many clubs and i know its been talked about in the NHL as well that you get less very good players to fill up the clubs "

On the other hands as mentioned here in the old days CCCP was mainly the players from CSKA and that worked out well but the times were different were you had your players for what was it 320 days a year almost locked into to a training factory only playing hockey. That will not happen today

I think there is a mental thing of some sort...my brother saw the to first periode and was not able to se the 3.When he called me seeing they had lost 4-2 he was i shock (he had been watching the game at a pub and people were talking about how much better the Russian were and then asked my what the **** happen..... " well its Russia i said.." without even at that point knowing what i exactly meant. Even beeing up 4-0 to Finland i had the feeling that everyting could happen and it almost did

So i ask is there a sort of arrogance among the russian players? Do you really have to tell professional players how to play beeing up 2-0 before the 3 periode? I have now seen several players say that they did not loose to Canda they lost to themself and i agrre with them 100 % we was better and this should not happen playing with so less disipline and taking a lot of penalties . And i for the most part the last 10 years felt then when Russia loose the loose first and foremost by themselfe. I am not saying we are always the best in 2015 Canada was much better and we had a really lousy deffence (heard Malkin said that they just knew before the game that they were ****ed..) but for the most part Russia loose to Russia

I dont remember who said it (think it was a finnish player ) some years ago something like " Russia is strange..it like when they push the pedal they overcome everybody playing hockey reminding us about the CCCP and then all of a sudden looks like they dont care and can loose to everybody and this change happen during games not from game to game but i the same game "

I can not say i follow the Junior hockey very closely but from what i understand Bragin has been a very good and big motivator even getting to the finals with less more talent so maybe Russia should work on this part

I still think we had a really good team and our deffence starting to look better (Provorov going to be very very importent for Russia in the years coming yes he made mistakes but hey he is 20 years old and this was his first tournament )
I must say that i was very very surpriced to se how good Kiselevich and Gavrikov was

I watch KHL games here in Norway but i dont have time to follow the League closely but they were great.

Our checking line was also great i mean during the first 2 periode against Canada they forechecked so hard making the canadien deffense doing errors and that is how you play hockey today. Short shifts and skate hard. Number 11 (forgot his name) was killed 2 times and yet came back playing hard every ****ing shift. Our star players did well Panarin and Kucherov so yes i see a lots of good things but back to my main point there has to be a mental thing

Kuznetskov said he learnt something from the 3 periode against Canada tough he did not say what it was...what did you learn Kuzy ??

Changing a Coach can be a good thing shaking things up a bit but i (who have been very very angry at Znarok the 2 last WC must say i saw some good signs and choice of players that i like tough i would like to se Kaprisov other than Nichuskin who 5 on 5 was struggeling i am afraid he never will be the player he could be before the injuriy. Playing one man down ha did a hell of a jobb i give him that

I think we only will get better now its the Olympic next year and from what i understand Znarok will be the Coach until then..?

Just curios what does he say to the Russian media? I have as mentioned seen several coments from the players but it would be interesting knowing what he says.

I have always had a dream that Larionov one they will take over the NT. Think he has the best from both world and when you are called the professor that must be a good thing

We can not take back the way we did things back in the CCCP days but we can learn from their training methods and foremost maybe somthing from their mental training and how they played their game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->