WC: 2017 Team Finland Pt. 2

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I heard that 50% of WJC-2016 winners are retired, they didn't get contracts and moved on in life.
What HNA reporter told you this? Because the entire crop are still very much active players. And not in lower tier leagues either. 21/23 have a contract for Liiga or other pro league.

Marjamäki should be fired. Nothing changed with that one win. His teams has looked garbage for how long now? He's done.
Keep wishing. He isn't going anywhere.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
We are producing top quality young players, probably enough to keep us competitive for a generation, what I'm concerned about is are we producing enough "good enough" players?
I heard that 50% of WJC-2016 winners are retired, they didn't get contracts and moved on in life. I fail to see how half of them could not have been good enough to become basic Liiga-jyrä.
Which means one of two things, Liiga teams too conservative in taking youth onto middle line roles - or there being a coaching issue of some sort as those players are unable to step up. I think the latter.
25% retiring I could see happening, half no way.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=1608&year0=2016

:dunno: looks like a maximum of three don't have a contract for the next year. And they most probably will get it...

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
No it didn't. We barely made it to playoffs. There's no way this was the best effort this team could have done. We should have still beat the "small" countries easier.

Marjamäki should be fired. Nothing changed with that one win. His teams has looked garbage for how long now? He's done. :nod:

By result I meant the finishing position. Naturally some games could and should have gone better, but really, you think a coach should be fired because we did not beat some meaningless small team by high enough margin? That's frankly a ridiculous reason, nobody cares about these games, they are just preparation for the big decider games. In the 2014 tournament we almost fell out of the playoff as well, so firing Erkka would have been right I guess by the same logic. Or worse, Jukka Jalonen should have been fired after Finland had it's most embarrassing hockey loss against Hungary, in a pre-tournament game in 2009.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad