2017 Sleeper Thread

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Last years sleeper thread was pretty good

Looking for advice on your local teams this year.

I'll try to post Broncos later on this week. Only real glaring advice I've got right now - I'd steer clear of Paxton Lynch. He's getting beat every day in practice.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Since I won't reveal who my favorite team is, I will post about the two local teams around me since that is all they're talking about on the news lately.

Robby Anderson is my sleeper for the Jets. According to Fantasy Football Calculator's ADP, he isn't even in the top 224. A number one receiver hardly ever qualifies as a sleeper, but Anderson qualifies. He plays for a really bad team with no good receivers. The Jets should also be playing from behind almost every game. He had his best games with Bryce Petty starting, so if Petty starts some games, he could be a good play.

Shane Vereen is my sleeper for the Giants. His ADP on Fantasy Football Calculator is 190 (well, the 190th player according to ADP, but that isn't necessarily his ADP...). I don't think the coaching staff trusts Paul Perkins. There are a lot of mouths to feed for the Giants, but with Eli's arm strength declining, they'll probably focus on the quick passing game. Vereen hasn't done a whole lot since signing a contract with the Giants, but he was a great pass catching back with New England for awhile.

Remington 700

Jul 11, 2007
South Park, PA
I wouldn't buy into the James Connor hype from the Steelers. The hype is a mix of him going to school at Pitt and his cancer story. He doesn't have the same style as Bell and to a lesser extent Deangelo Williams did. He's more of a power bruiser who I don't think will fit as an every down back if Bell holds out. The o-line he played behind at Pitt was one of the best in the country as well.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
So.....Broncos

De'Angelo Henderson has been the story of camp this far at the RB position. I do t know that I would draft him unless you're willing to wait 2-3 years. He has Booker ahead of him and CJ Anderson will be the starter. CJ has a reputation for being a slow starter. You may want to pick up another RB with an easy schedule early in the year if you have CJ on your squad.

At WR, Demaryious Thomas and Emanuel Sanders are the regulars. Past those two, I wouldn't grab any Bronco WRs.

At TE AJ Derby will receive most of the passes. However Virgil Green will likely start. Virgil is more of a run blocker and AJ will be the third down pass catching TE. Even though he's 2nd string I consider AJ a fringe 2nd TE.

At QB Trevor Siemien has been beating out Paxton Lynch consistently. Paxton's best practice was today and they will spoon feed him easy plays this Saturday night. True be told I would avoid the Broncos QBs entirely if I had a choice. Paxton isn't showing the brain power to be a starting QB and Trevor checks down too much.

OL for Broncos is still somewhat of a mess. Still shuffling around guys. This will impact all positions.

Defense is still stout on pass defense but a number of DL has been lost to injury already. Broncos likely to get gouged on run this year - expect a little bit of decline from seasons past.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
My personal team is the Vikings. No sleepers jump out for them at the moment but here's my take on some guys:

Dalvin Cook
was never really a sleeper but his value is increasing by the day given his practice performance and Murray's injury. Guy has gone from a top 25 RB to Top 15 imo.

Adam Thielen
Not as under the radar as he used to be but still valued pretty low and going later in drafts. I think I actually prefer him to Diggs. Diggs will catch 10 balls one game and 2 the next. Thielen is going to give you 5 catches per game and is probably more likely to catch a deep one than Diggs. Treadwell doesn't scare me, I've practically already written him off as a bust, especially since he got hurt again. I wouldn't worry too much about Michael Floyd's return from suspension in October either.

Rest of the league:

RB
Packers RB not named Ty Montgomery -
This still isn't sorted out yet but whoever wins that number 2 job in GB between Jamal Williams, Aaron Jones and Devante Mays is someone I would look at.

Marlon Mack
Frank Gore is old and Robert Turbin isn't anything to write home abbout. Nice draft and stash guy.

Kareem Hunt
If he didn't already pass C.West on the depth chart, he will and think he eventually eats into Ware's carries.

Shane Vereen
Like someone said above, I don't think the staff is that high on Paul Perkins, he's someone I'd look at, especially in PPR.

Samaje Perine
Robert Kelley doesn't impress me, Chris Thompson is a 3rd down back and Matt Jones is going to get cut. I think he takes the job by midseason.

WR
Andre Holmes
Going to start on the outside for the Bills. I know they drafted Zay Jones and picked up Boldin and Matthews, but I think they bring Jones along slow, Boldin's role is probably going to be similar to that on Lions last year and Matthews is pretty much only a slot guy.

Robby Anderson
I know the Jets are god awful but someone has to catch the ball for them. He's the defacto #1 for now. ArDarius Stewart has been banged up in camp, but he might also be someone to look at.

Kenny Golladay
Another guy who's been tearing up camp. Tate and Jones are the starters, but he might grab that Anquan Boldin role for them. Might be TD or bust early on though.

Cameron Meredith
He was good last year when they still had Jeffery and is going to start. The rest of their WRs are underachieving/injury prone guys like Markus Wheaton, Kevin White and Kendall Wright.

I really liked Cooper Kupp for the Rams too, but then the Watkins trade happened. Might still keep an eye on him though because Watkins is injury prone, Robert Woods sucks and Austin is a gimmick player.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Steelers fan, but nothing to say on their team in regards to sleepers. Ben is a low-end QB1, Bell and Brown are studs. I do think Martavis Bryant will be a top-20 guy in a Desean Jackson boom/bust type of way.

Some overall "sleepers", though I don't really like that term. These guys will out-perform where they are drafted. I try to steer away from rookies/young guys for the most part, you can usually get value out of veterans.

QB:
Philip Rivers - Top 10 guy.
Andy Dalton - Low-end QB1, QB10-14.

RB:
Dalvin Cook - Still around RB30, will be top 20.
Doug Martin - Liked what I saw from him last night. Will be the Bucs starter when he gets back and be the top 20.

WR:
Amari Cooper - Rated as a mid WR2, will finish as a WR1.
Larry Fitzgerald - Nobody else to throw to in Arizona. Top 20 WR for the first half of the year, then he'll fall off like he has the last few years.
Kenny Britt - Rated as WR44 right now - I think he finishes in the top 30.

TE:
Kind of a reverse sleeper: I have Delanie Walker & Jack Doyle out of my top ten, which is where both are being drafted. Prefer Ertz, Henry, Ebron, Hooper out of that group.

DST:
Draft the Bengals DST. Start the year at home vs Baltimore & Houston, both with QB questions. Will light it up. Trade them after two strong weeks for another team with a better schedule.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
My personal team is the Vikings. No sleepers jump out for them at the moment but here's my take on some guys:

Dalvin Cook
was never really a sleeper but his value is increasing by the day given his practice performance and Murray's injury. Guy has gone from a top 25 RB to Top 15 imo.

Rest of the league:

RB
Packers RB not named Ty Montgomery -
This still isn't sorted out yet but whoever wins that number 2 job in GB between Jamal Williams, Aaron Jones and Devante Mays is someone I would look at.

Kareem Hunt
If he didn't already pass C.West on the depth chart, he will and think he eventually eats into Ware's carries.

What are your thoughts on the Vikings RBs in general as fantasy options? The Vikes O-Line isn't that great and Latavius Murray didn't perform like a hero last year with an incredible Raiders O-Line. Moving to Minny with a weaker O-Line, I think Latavius is a potential bust candidate.

That worry about Murray sort of transfers over to Dalvin Cook. I do think that Cook will take control as the RB1 from Murray before this season finishes, but at the same time, with that O-Line, I'm not sure if there is a whole lot to expect from him.

My money is on Jamal Williams winning the RB1 job in GB. From the sounds of things right now, the job belong to Montgomery, but I bet Monty gets banged up pretty quickly, and he's also TERRIBLE as pass protection, so whenever GB wants to do a pass play, they are going to take him off the field. That's going to seriously limit the plays he does get because GB loves to pass that ball. And who wouldn't with that group of WRs?

Kareem Hunt is my top sleeper pick right now, but I don't think he's going to be a secret for much longer.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
What are your thoughts on the Vikings RBs in general as fantasy options? The Vikes O-Line isn't that great and Latavius Murray didn't perform like a hero last year with an incredible Raiders O-Line. Moving to Minny with a weaker O-Line, I think Latavius is a potential bust candidate.

That worry about Murray sort of transfers over to Dalvin Cook. I do think that Cook will take control as the RB1 from Murray before this season finishes, but at the same time, with that O-Line, I'm not sure if there is a whole lot to expect from him.

I honestly wouldn't touch Murray unless I also have Cook. Cook is too talented and the OL even if still bad should be improved this year. Plus Cook is much better than both McKinnon and Asiata who they had last year who couldn't do anything with the bad line.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
For the redskins

Crowder is poised for a big yr. Will be the number 2/3 option for cousins. If he progresses and improves upon last yr he'll hit 1k yards.

Perine will be the starter at rb by the end of the yr. Question is when he takes the reigns from fat rob.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
Chargers don't really have any sleepers coming through this year (at least not on offence) but there should be some decent bounce-back options that you could maybe get at a discount.

Keenan Allen - Currently going around round 5-6 in Yahoo leagues the obvious injury concern will cause many to avoid him all together but from all reports he's looked great in practice and will go back to being Rivers #1 guy. I honestly believe that when he's healthy he's a top 5 WR in the league.

Philip Rivers - I wouldn't take him as an every week starter because I think most weeks the offence will run through Gordon but he'll certainly be a good streaming option against certain matchups I'd expect the interception number to drop from last season and he has a lot of weapons (if they stay healthy)

Hunter Henry - Already being taken ahead of Gates so not really a sleeper but I'd expect his role to expand drastically and he could be a sleeper to get into the pro-bowl by the end of the year.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
WR:
Amari Cooper - Rated as a mid WR2, will finish as a WR1.

Yeah, I feel like this will be his huge breakout year where he could challenge for top 5. He was on pace for close to 1,600 yards 8 games into last season then showed up on the injury report going into the week 9 Denver game and was a complete disaster the rest of the way.

I guess the main concern would be TDs though. Crabtree is just really effective in the red zone, and Lynch probably won't help too much in that regard.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm also adding Julius Thomas to my sleeper list.

He's a super late pick (I think going around 170th overall right now) and he's always an injury concern, but in Miami, with Cutler and Adam Gase, both of those guys love using the TE, and when healthy, Julius Thomas is really good passing option and has pretty freakish athletic ability.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
What's the deal with Seattle's RB situation? Whos going to get the most touches? Lacy? Prosise?

From what I'm reading, Lacy looks like he will be the top RB, and then it's Rawls, then Prosise. Prosise is banged up right now so I don't think he has had many reps this preseason so far.

Lacy does fit the Seattle style of play best though (in my opinion) and I think he will be the primary RB for red zone carries, so if I were to pick a Seattle RB I'd go with Lacy first.

I did a mock draft on Yahoo last night and none of them are highly ranked, but Lacy is WAY ahead of the other two. I think Prosise isn't even in the top 180 picks.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
If you buy into the hype coming from Tampa Bay beat reporters, Doug Martin could be a steal with an ADP in the high 90s right now. He does have a 3 game suspension to get through first though. I'm doubtful that Jaquizz Rogers will impress enough during those 3 games to take the job from Martin.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
If you buy into the hype coming from Tampa Bay beat reporters, Doug Martin could be a steal with an ADP in the high 90s right now. He does have a 3 game suspension to get through first though. I'm doubtful that Jaquizz Rogers will impress enough during those 3 games to take the job from Martin.

Someone has been watching Hard Knocks :sarcasm:

While I agree that he won't take the job away from Martin, Jacquizz produced decent RB2 fantasy numbers while the Muscle Hamster was out last season and with a better offense he could help a team a lot in those first 3 games if you can draft the Martin/Rodgers combo.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Bills:
Defense: should be top 10 this year. If you don't pick up a defense in the draft you may want to see if they are available. They're switching back to the 4-3 that made them successful before Rex Ryan got there and though it's only preseason have dominated teams 1st string (problem is the offense)
Zay Jones: He's really the only credible option at WR the Bills have and he has looked impressive; not someone I draft until maybe the last round but I'll keep him on my bench to see if he becomes anything

That's really it for the Bills. Obviously McCoy is a top 10 pick and Tyrod Taylor is a nice backup but these are the only draftable players imo. I'd pick up Jones over Mattews btw

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Bills:
Defense: should be top 10 this year. If you don't pick up a defense in the draft you may want to see if they are available. They're switching back to the 4-3 that made them successful before Rex Ryan got there and though it's only preseason have dominated teams 1st string (problem is the offense)
Zay Jones: He's really the only credible option at WR the Bills have and he has looked impressive; not someone I draft until maybe the last round but I'll keep him on my bench to see if he becomes anything

That's really it for the Bills. Obviously McCoy is a top 10 pick and Tyrod Taylor is a nice backup but these are the only draftable players imo. I'd pick up Jones over Mattews btw

I was eyeing that Bills defence post-draft, especially with that week 1 matchup against the Jets. This post probably gets me to take the plunge!

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm purposely not drafting Hunt in my mocks to get a sense of where he's going. The earliest I have seen so far was 2nd pick in the 3rd round (12 team draft), and the latest was he just wasn't taken.

But on average he's being taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

If he's still there when my pick rolls around in the 3rd (10th pick in the 3rd round) I will definitely be taking him then

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
I'm purposely not drafting Hunt in my mocks to get a sense of where he's going. The earliest I have seen so far was 2nd pick in the 3rd round (12 team draft), and the latest was he just wasn't taken.

But on average he's being taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

If he's still there when my pick rolls around in the 3rd (10th pick in the 3rd round) I will definitely be taking him then

He probably won't be there now that he is the day 1 clear cut guy, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad