Prospect Info: 2017 Rookie Camp/Penticton Youngstars Tournament

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Yamamoto is coming into camp at 155lbs...he said it was a challenge for him to reach that weight.

For his sake I hope gaining weight becomes much easier as he gets older.

He gained 9 lbs in 3 months.. not bad at all. Sounds like he took summer training and eating very seriously.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah...way too easy. :nod:

I think he needs to (at the very least) get into the mid 160's if he wants to be a full time NHL player.

I don't see that being that hard. Unless people expect him to be a full time player this year. For me I look at him as one of those 3-5 year down the road guys.

Using hockeydb(apparently my fav site) I opened all the drafts since 2012. You look at those 20-30 picks and really you are only looking at a handful of players that have made the NHL full time.

Fabbri
Pastrnak
Burakovsky
Matta
Laughton
Pearson

Really think when Rishaug was talking about taking out time with Benson that the same should be said with Yamamoto. Guys that our physically ready can barely make the NHL soon, so why should we be dissappointed if it takes this kid a few years?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Is he one of those players that won't be AHL eligible until 3 years post draft, or is he one of the lucky ones?

My understanding is that because of his birthday (he turns 19 in a few weeks and next season he will turn 20 before the season starts... he'll be able to play in the AHL next year).

It's too bad he couldn't play in the AHL this year (like Puljujarvi did last year) because the AHL would be perfect for Yamamoto to take that next step up in competition for his development.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Yeah...way too easy. :nod:

I think he needs to (at the very least) get into the mid 160's if he wants to be a full time NHL player.

If it was hard for him to get to 155 lbs. then chances are he'll lose a few pounds once he's playing regularly in season. Maybe he's up to 160 lbs. for his playing weight next September and 165 lbs. the year after.

Even then it might be challenging for him to add weight that quick and maintain quickness/elusiveness that gives him an edge. I don't think it helped Gagner or RNH to add weight quick. He should find a training program that works for him and not feel pressured to gain weight faster if it compromises the strengths of his game.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Gaudreau is like 157 lbs. If he can play at that weight then Yamamoto should too. Don't really think he'll benefit too much from getting up to 165 or whatever, it's just gonna slow him down. No matter how much weight he adds he's never going to be "strong" with that tiny frame of his. Better for him to play to his strengths, being quick and elusive.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't see that being that hard. Unless people expect him to be a full time player this year. For me I look at him as one of those 3-5 year down the road guys.

Using hockeydb(apparently my fav site) I opened all the drafts since 2012. You look at those 20-30 picks and really you are only looking at a handful of players that have made the NHL full time.

Fabbri
Pastrnak
Burakovsky
Matta
Laughton
Pearson

Really think when Rishaug was talking about taking out time with Benson that the same should be said with Yamamoto. Guys that our physically ready can barely make the NHL soon, so why should we be dissappointed if it takes this kid a few years?

Absolutely. If he was drafted a few years ago then he likely would have been rushed into the lineup.
Its a welcome change that this team doesnt have to rush young players like Yamamoto.

If it was hard for him to get to 155 lbs. then chances are he'll lose a few pounds once he's playing regularly in season. Maybe he's up to 160 lbs. for his playing weight next September and 165 lbs. the year after.

Even then it might be challenging for him to add weight that quick and maintain quickness/elusiveness that gives him an edge. I don't think it helped Gagner or RNH to add weight quick. He should find a training program that works for him and not feel pressured to gain weight faster if it compromises the strengths of his game.

I agree.
He doesnt need to add weight just for the sake of adding weight. Its the added strength that I was referring to (which usually comes with added weight) but it shouldnt be at the expense of the other parts of his game.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gaudreau is like 157 lbs. If he can play at that weight then Yamamoto should too. Don't really think he'll benefit too much from getting up to 165 or whatever, it's just gonna slow him down. No matter how much weight he adds he's never going to be "strong" with that tiny frame of his. Better for him to play to his strengths, being quick and elusive.

Gonna sound stupid, but him being 160 in 2-3 years from now is probably better than him being 170 today.

You get to that age where you get some man strength and just utilize your muscle a lot better without really realizing it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Excited for the main board thread about this tournament to get going.

One of the best pit fights of the year. :laugh:

Just the worst. Bunch of fans who have relatively zero clue on other teams prospects, making conclusions based on essentially a preseason warm up tournament. Yet another year Flames fans will go in thinking no other team has good depth prospects, and yet another year they lose the tournament (not that it means anything, but just ironic to see)

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The least amount of hype/promotion this year in the history of the rookie tournament for us by far. Not hearing much about it at all.

Will we even be able to stream it this year?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Waiting for a certain poster's prospect comparisons :naughty:

There are already Flames fans strutting around saying they have the best defensive prospects in the league :laugh: I saw Adam Fox referred to as a franchise prospect the other day.

The overrating starts early with them...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
There are already Flames fans strutting around saying they have the best defensive prospects in the league :laugh: I saw Adam Fox referred to as a franchise prospect the other day.

The overrating starts early with them...

A few years back I was ok with their overrating because this was the first time in a decade they actually had prospects with upside. Poirer was next Hossa, Wothersppon was top pairing, Klimchuck was for sure top 6 etc. I thought "ok well with Bartschi busting and other busting- after these guys bust theyll experience whats its like to have intriguing prospects and then have them bust, and thatll temper expectations in the future" But nope.... Klimchuck busted, Bennetts busting, Poirer busted, Wotherspoon busted, most of all those guys busted- and instead of reigning in expectations, things only got worse. Now its Fox, Magipane, Jankowski (still..) etc as these future top line players forsure

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
The least amount of hype/promotion this year in the history of the rookie tournament for us by far. Not hearing much about it at all.

Will we even be able to stream it this year?

yep

oilers website will have it

but I assume that means they're streaming on YouTube

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
A few years back I was ok with their overrating because this was the first time in a decade they actually had prospects with upside. Poirer was next Hossa, Wothersppon was top pairing, Klimchuck was for sure top 6 etc. I thought "ok well with Bartschi busting and other busting- after these guys bust theyll experience whats its like to have intriguing prospects and then have them bust, and thatll temper expectations in the future" But nope.... Klimchuck busted, Bennetts busting, Poirer busted, Wotherspoon busted, most of all those guys busted- and instead of reigning in expectations, things only got worse. Now its Fox, Magipane, Jankowski (still..) etc as these future top line players forsure

Who the hell called Wotherspoon a top pairing prospect so I can give them a good smack...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Who the hell called Wotherspoon a top pairing prospect so I can give them a good smack...

Just from one thread doing a quick search:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1515047&highlight=wotherspoon+top+pairing&page=3

Wotherspoon will be a number one dman. Suter lite.

Book it.

I think Wotherspoon has played his last AHL game where an NHL game is an option. Ofcourse after our season he'll head down to help the Heat.

But the strides that TW has made in the last few months is astounding.

I actually almost like his upside better then Brodie's. I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out.

Brodie and Wotherspoon are quite similar. Brodie is a bit more dynamic and offensive, whereas Wotherspoon has the potential to be more polished defensively while still having plenty of mobility and two way ability.

I guess my point is this, both of these guys have the upside of Top 4 guys, really being a Top 3 guy (stronger player on your number 2 pairing) And honestly both guys will probably be decent Top pairing guys too.

Wotherspoon - Brodie
Sieloff - Kulak
Kanzig - Breen

Its clear to me that Bart and Mono will be top line guys, and Poirer looks (to me) like he'll be joining them. Russell looks like he'll establish himself as a top 4 defensemen, and I believe Wotherspoon, Seiloff, and Ramage have that potential as well.

Although, every fan (including myself and all Oiler fans) are wrong and often overrate prospects future ability. Even from this rookie tournament, maybe 3 will make it to the NHL in the future if lucky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad