Speculation: 2017 Offseason/Expansion Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly, I think I'd rather use that pick to trade for a defenseman than a forward (not that I'm advocating trading what is hopefully a top 5 pick). Duchene would be nice, but if we then miss out on Shattenkirk, who is getting our forwards the puck? Greene isn't getting any younger and there's really nothing in the pipeline that'll be ready in the next couple years.

Top 5 pick this year is closer to a top 10 pick in most other years. Odds are no team gets a real top player out of this draft, at least not in the obvious spots.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
The question marks around the top 2 picks are alarming. Nico has been ice cold for a while, and Patrick has an alarming injury history.

We are in even less of a position to end up with a bust at a pick this early. If you can get a young 1C for it, you trade the pick. This simply isn't like the last two drafts.

Dude you read a couple of posts on the prospect board and act like that's all there is to it. Even though they're not matthews in terms of impact doesn't mean their addition won't be significant to this team. These guys would still be drafted high in other draft years.

Last year you wanted to trade the first before the devils even drafted anybody. Do you want to trade Mcleod now?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Top 5 pick this year is closer to a top 10 pick in most other years. Odds are no team gets a real top player out of this draft, at least not in the obvious spots.

I get that, but for a team that's where we are, I have a hard time moving a top 5 pick in general. For the right player obviously I'm up for it. I'm not sure Duchene is that player, or that what we'd end up paying for him would be worth it.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Sign me up for giving Jagr a 1 year deal. No downside, and if he's still decent and we're out of it at the deadline, we could grab a pick.

Hall - Zacha - Palmieri
JQ - Zajac - Jagr
Henrique - McLeod - Bennett
Wood - Blandisi - Noesen/Speers

I'm pretty sure time has finally caught him. His numbers dipped quite a bit this season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Dude you read a couple of posts on the prospect board and act like that's all there is to it. Even though they're not matthews in terms of impact doesn't mean their addition won't be significant to this team. These guys would still be drafted high in other draft years.

Last year you wanted to trade the first before the devils even drafted anybody. Do you want to trade Mcleod now?

I'm happy with McLeod, but I would of been fine if we shopped the pick.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I'm happy with McLeod, but I would of been fine if we shopped the pick.

But why? What trades have been made in the past that show a team is going to significantly improve by trading a lottery pick. Teams are built through the draft. If the devils missing the playoffs was a fluke I would agree with you but this team is missing significant pieces, pieces that teams just don't trade. Waiting for drafts is painful but it has to be done.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Jagr was just as good this year as last year, however his absurd shooting luck from last year swung in the other direction this season.

Jagr shot at 19.8% at ES in 2015-16, which is just insane. This year he shot at 6.5%, and the 14-15 season he shot at 9.4%. 7.7% in 13-14.

Jagr's possession stats were as strong as ever as well. Look at the company he's hanging out with over the last two years in Fenwick relative: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...mid=0&type=fenwick&sort=PCTRelTM&sortdir=DESC

I'd gladly take him on a one-year deal.

I stand corrected. I'd take him on again then. I do like the mentoring Zacha concept.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I wonder if Chicago.would consider something around John moore+something small like a mid to late round pick for TVR if they think TVR has a good chance of going to Vegas. He has decent possession numbers and is a RHD. then the devils can sign someone like Justin Schultz and all if a sudden the right side of the defense looks pretty good with Severson-Schlutz-TVR

To shore up lhd depth in the organization I think signing a guy like Eric Martinsson from the SHL or euro signings in general can help in that area. I also think Swedish Sebastian aho would be a good later pick in this year's draft because he's already 21 so the devils would know pretty soon whether he's an nhler or not. He has pretty.good numbers there, his downside is his size

Last edited:

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I wonder if Chicago.would consider something around John moore+something small like a mid to late round pick for TVR if they think TVR has a good chance of going to Vegas. He has decent possession numbers and is a RHD. then the devils can sign someone like Justin Schultz and all if a sudden the right side of the defense looks pretty good with Severson-Schlutz-TVR

To shore up lhd depth in the organization I think signing a guy like Eric Martinsson from the SHL or euro signings in general can help in that area. I also think Swedish Sebastian aho would be a good later pick in this year's draft because he's already 21 so the devils would know pretty soon whether he's an nhler or not. He has pretty.good numbers there, his downside is his size

Are you completely forgetting Santini?? I'm so confused with this ridiculous post. TVR isn't even good at all.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Are you completely forgetting Santini?? I'm so confused with this ridiculous post. TVR isn't even good at all.
What's ridiculous? Santini could be in the AHL. Justin Schultz is a potential ufa if the penguins don't tender him which they probably wont. TVR is a big upgrade on a guy like Lovejoy on the right side and would be playing bottom pair in this scenatio

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Santini's in the AHL next year the Devils either had a REALLY good offseason, or are really stupid (or both).

I think there are just more trade opportunities this offseason with the expansion draft, that's why I wasn't really for shopping our first rounders in the past but I would this offseason if it was the right deal. Nobody's advocating shopping one for a 30-year old forward though, it would presumably be a Cory-type deal. As it is, even in an absolute worst-case scenario they'll probably draft 6-7 and it's hard to just straight trade a top ten pick (though it happened with Cory) despite all the question marks around the top picks.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Trading our pick in the next draft would be an awful decision. We're a textbook example of a team that needs to add as young talent as possible, not trade for 26 y. o. Duchene, who will walk as an UFA in 2 years.

We have too many holes to fix atm:
- lack of franchise d-man,
- lack of legit top4 d-men,
- lack of bonafide #1 center,
- lack of top-six wingers.

This can't be solved this quickly, even with adding Shattenkirk and Duchene we would still be bubble team at best.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Trading our pick in the next draft would be an awful decision. We're a textbook example of a team that needs to add as young talent as possible, not trade for 26 y. o. Duchene, who will walk as an UFA in 2 years.

This can't be solved this quickly, even with adding Shattenkirk and Duchene we would still be bubble team at best.

That's too far ahead. I won't consider us a bubble team until we're actually a bubble team. Duchene + Shattenkirk would definitely change things for the better. The LHDs worry me the most.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And if we don't trade for anyone now then we have to worry about Hall being UFA in three years :sarcasm: (only half).

If you don't want to trade the first-rounder at all costs fine, then you have no right to complain about us missing out on a tier of players in the draft ;) Plus anyone we draft now probably wouldn't factor in until 2019-20 as a big contributor unless it's a top five pick. And that's IF they factor in as a contributor, picks aren't exactly sure things either.

I do think at SOME point you eventually have to package the assets you have (draft picks) into either trading for players or at least trading for better draft picks.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Including this year and next, we're adding some combination of Zacha, Blandisi, Wood, Quenneville, Santini, Speers, McLeod. Maybe some of Gignac, Coleman and Pietila, etc. surprise too.

Someone should photoshop the Devils logo turning into a big question mark because that's what this team is.

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
I refuse to watch another bottom-5 season. We should really really try to make the playoffs next year.

They may be a bottom 5 team, but they are unlikely to ever draft in the Top 5 - including this year - if that makes you feel any better.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
And if we don't trade for anyone now then we have to worry about Hall being UFA in three years :sarcasm: (only half).

If you don't want to trade the first-rounder at all costs fine, then you have no right to complain about us missing out on a tier of players in the draft ;) Plus anyone we draft now probably wouldn't factor in until 2019-20 as a big contributor unless it's a top five pick. And that's IF they factor in as a contributor, picks aren't exactly sure things either.

I do think at SOME point you eventually have to package the assets you have (draft picks) into either trading for players or at least trading for better draft picks.

The Devils have made two trades for players using draft picks at the draft (Palmieri and Bennett). I expect they'll make another one this year. But even thinking about trading 1st round picks does not make sense with where they are as a franchise.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I refuse to watch another bottom-5 season. We should really really try to make the playoffs next year.

That die was cast many moons ago by Lou Lams. Team will be lucky to not be bottom 5 as well. There will be no playoffs next year. Team should start showing improvement in 2018-2019 and possibly flirt with the playoffs in 2019-2020. There are no easy shortcuts in today's NHL.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

I would take one or two promising cost controlled players with intact ELC/RFA status over a patchwork player like Duchene who's almost at the UFA cutoff. I think you keep the draft pick unless a really special player becomes available.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I have always been of the belief to package Henrique and our 1st this year for a young top tier player and got killed for that. We need an immediate impact player with controllable years.

I have wondered if we could use an extra pick or two to get one of the Wilds defenders that they can't protect.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
For those not wanting to trade for Duchene, do you guys think we should trade Hall and Schneider?

In my opinion Shero has two routes to go:

Route 1 is to keep Hall and Schneider. Go HARD after Shattenkirk. Go hard after Duchene/Top 4 LHD/Top 6 winger. And try to make playoffs as early as next season.

Route 2 is to trade Hall and Schneider and go full on rebuild mode. 2018 tank for Dahlin.

In my opinion I would go route 1. Devils haven't made the playoffs in 5 straight seasons now. Its time to get back to the post season. The Pru Center will be EMPTY for the next two seasons if Shero goes option 2.

If he wants to go middle ground and keep Hall/Schneider but continue to just build through the draft, then we will most likely lose Hall due to a trade request.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I have always been of the belief to package Henrique and our 1st this year for a young top tier player and got killed for that. We need an immediate impact player with controllable years.

I have wondered if we could use an extra pick or two to get one of the Wilds defenders that they can't protect.

The problem is you're not getting the player you want for that package. What team trades a younger player (which is what we would want) for an older guy in Henrique and a first round pick? Those are packages that usually bring in all-star players like Thornton or Kovalchuk or Burns. In both of those trades, there was a quality middle-six (or second pairing defender) + more assets.

The only way that type of deal would make sense is if the Devils pulled in a similarly aged defender like the Burns trade. Getting a similar aged forward for Henrique would be a waste of extra assets.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
For those not wanting to trade for Duchene, do you guys think we should trade Hall and Schneider?

In my opinion Shero has two routes to go:

Route 1 is to keep Hall and Schneider. Go HARD after Shattenkirk. Go hard after Duchene/Top 4 LHD/Top 6 winger. And try to make playoffs as early as next season.

Route 2 is to trade Hall and Schneider and go full on rebuild mode. 2018 tank for Dahlin.

In my opinion I would go route 1. Devils haven't made the playoffs in 5 straight seasons now. Its time to get back to the post season. The Pru Center will be EMPTY for the next two seasons if Shero goes option 2.

If he wants to go middle ground and keep Hall/Schneider but continue to just build through the draft, then we will most likely lose Hall due to a trade request.

Duchene is not the right option for this team right now.

It's going to cost an important piece to the future to get him here and I just don't think that's worth it. UFA in 2 years as well and is likely going to command a big salary. I'd rather take my chance at the cost-controlled years of Zacha/McLeod/2017 pick because it's going to take one of them to get Duchene here.

Next off-season would be a better time to go for a Duchene-like player if our prospects continue to develop this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad