2017 NHL Draft | 4:00 PM | United Center | NBCSN

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's never too early to start discussing the draft.

Las Vegas is guaranteed to pick no lower than fourth overall. But hopefully fate is kind and they win the lottery.

I'll admit I don't know much about the top 5 players currently touted for this draft but from what I've read it's on the weaker end. So luckily we have a lottery pick.

Who do you guys think will be up there?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I know the defence will be far better than the forward group to begin with on the team itself but I'd draft a dman, especially if a couple of these guys like Liljegren or Cal Foote are as good as being stated. They take longer to develop and you can draft forwards in the first round in the next ocuple drafts' higher rounds.

I'd assume however that the team has at minimum, two first round picks by trade.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If they're franchise or superstar upside then yeah go defense. But forwards are more marketable. Just something to consider for a first pick ever.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I know the defence will be far better than the forward group to begin with on the team itself but I'd draft a dman, especially if a couple of these guys like Liljegren or Cal Foote are as good as being stated. They take longer to develop and you can draft forwards in the first round in the next ocuple drafts' higher rounds.

I'd assume however that the team has at minimum, two first round picks by trade.

If the team wins the 1st overall pick, would you still pick a defenseman over a guy like Nolan Patrick?

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I believen Nolan Patrick could be the right guy - if Las Vegas wins the lottery.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Maybe someone on here could figure out what teams may be giving up for the expansion draft, or at least what fans think the team will protect, then compile the names and see which parts would be good?

calvegas04

Jun 23, 2016
Las Vegas
question for everyone, I was watching the draft this year and a lot of kids were being drafted out of HS. Is that normal? Seems risky drafting someone that young and not knowing if they will pan out or not. Would seem better if they put in a rule like the NFL where they need a few years of college hockey before being drafted.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm not super strong with the prospect knowledge. Knowing that a year is a long time, does it seem today like Patrick is the type of player that jumps right into an NHL lineup as it sits today?

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
...but from what I've read it's on the weaker end.

I've heard this as well. I don't have any ability to measure and retort, so I just accept that it is true. I wouldn't be surprised if teams are willing to part with their picks to re-acquire players that they lost in the expansion lottery, or snag some other teams lost players in the expansion lottery.

LV is going to end up with 14 third and fourth line forwards, 9 second and third pairing defense, and three respectable goaltenders. I would think that LV could figure out how to trade back 4 of the defensemen, 5 of the forwards and one goalie for picks. Repackage the picks to move up in the draft, and get higher quality prospects. Refill any remaining holes with prospects and UFA signings.

One thing is for certain, June/July 2017 is going to be one of the most interesting times in hockey.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Maybe someone on here could figure out what teams may be giving up for the expansion draft, or at least what fans think the team will protect, then compile the names and see which parts would be good?

Well it's certainly worth a try but we won't have a clearer picture until the season starts. The clearest picture won't come till the end of the regular season.

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Lots of info here
http://www.startribune.com/las-vegas-will-be-nhl-s-31st-team-expansion-entry-draft-rules/384011961/

Part I wanted to point out:

2017 NHL Draft Lottery

The Las Vegas franchise will be given the same odds in the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season.

The Las Vegas franchise’s First Round selection in the 2017 NHL Draft will be determined in accordance with the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery and, as a result, the Las Vegas franchise will be guaranteed no lower than the sixth overall selection.

The Las Vegas franchise then will select third in each subsequent round of the 2017 NHL Draft (subject to trades and other potential player transactions).

Jun 6, 2016
I'm just going to enjoy this season sitting back stressing about the Flyers before I dive in to Vegas potential signings and dealings. So far away (not really) in terms of season.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I've heard this as well. I don't have any ability to measure and retort, so I just accept that it is true. I wouldn't be surprised if teams are willing to part with their picks to re-acquire players that they lost in the expansion lottery, or snag some other teams lost players in the expansion lottery.

LV is going to end up with 14 third and fourth line forwards, 9 second and third pairing defense, and three respectable goaltenders. I would think that LV could figure out how to trade back 4 of the defensemen, 5 of the forwards and one goalie for picks. Repackage the picks to move up in the draft, and get higher quality prospects. Refill any remaining holes with prospects and UFA signings.

One thing is for certain, June/July 2017 is going to be one of the most interesting times in hockey.

Players moved in the expansion draft can't be traded back to their original team for a year.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm just going to enjoy this season sitting back stressing about the Flyers before I dive in to Vegas potential signings and dealings. So far away (not really) in terms of season.

Well it's worth discussing from time to time. First pick ever is the first chance to pick and grow a star.

Jun 6, 2016
Well it's worth discussing from time to time. First pick ever is the first chance to pick and grow a star.

Yes but the #2 consensus pick in this previous draft fell to the teens and some other team went off board early. Hard to guage so early. Except the guy previously mentioned as #1.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Vegas should get the first pick, kinda b.s. they're not guaranteed it.

Anyway, I'm hoping for the team's sake they get someone who is ready to step in and log minutes right away. Preferably a D.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'd say take BPA, not draft for need.

Unless he's a consensus top-three pick, taking a D-man early in the first round is usually not the best option - defensemen tend to take longer to develop and are less projectable than forwards.

It'd be fantastic if Vegas won the lottery - both because Nolan Patrick is the only prospect I know of who is a lock for a top three pick, and because winning at gambling would be a perfect move for a Las Vegas team... :naughty:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Unless there is an Ekblad like prospect at the top, I'd go with forward. We'll probably start out with a couple top four defenseman through the expansion draft, but our forwards will most likely be a lot weaker.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'd say take BPA, not draft for need.

Unless he's a consensus top-three pick, taking a D-man early in the first round is usually not the best option - defensemen tend to take longer to develop and are less projectable than forwards.

It'd be fantastic if Vegas won the lottery - both because Nolan Patrick is the only prospect I know of who is a lock for a top three pick, and because winning at gambling would be a perfect move for a Las Vegas team... :naughty:

Hehe.

Idk. I wasn't a Ducks fan when the Ducks drafted Kariya fourth overall but I was when he became a superstar with Selanne and I know that was the move that changed the landscape of the Ducks and gave them their first true star (they had Jarri Kurri but he was a shade of his former self)

This draft could be a huge opportunity to get Vegas a star right off the jump. Hopefully as the year progresses we see that any one of the top 4 guys displays superstar potential.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Patrick had one of the best 17-year-old seasons in WHL history. He will be #1 unless something major happens. Timothy Liljegren is an elite young puck moving defenceman who would be a great building block.

However if LV dips to around 6th spot I think C Scott Reedy (6'1, 187 lbs) will be a fine pick. He has a bit of Jeremy Roenick in him- great compete, soft hands, wicked shot. As an American-born star he would also be an easy sell as well.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Patrick had one of the best 17-year-old seasons in WHL history. He will be #1 unless something major happens. Timothy Liljegren is an elite young puck moving defenceman who would be a great building block.

However if LV dips to around 6th spot I think C Scott Reedy (6'1, 187 lbs) will be a fine pick. He has a bit of Jeremy Roenick in him- great compete, soft hands, wicked shot. As an American-born star he would also be an easy sell as well.

Never mind. My info was bad.

I'm confused as to how the lottery works then? Are the only possible picks available to this team 1st, 5th, or 6th? I don't get how Vegas' pick is supposed to get slotted in. According to that article we have only an 11.3% chance of winning. Seems kinda minuscule. At least the expansion draft has been shaped up in a way that looks to be a competitive team from the jump.

Last edited:

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
This is the 2016 vs 2015 odds to move up.
They draw three times and those three teams move up. That pushes up to three teams back
Next year the LV?s will be the #3 team before the lottery. The overall odds may change a little because there will be 15 teams eligible. Sorry if it is formatted funny
Odds Under Former Allocation
1 20.0% 25.0%
2 13.5% 18.8%
3 11.5% 14.2%
4 9.5% 10.7%
5 8.5% 8.1%
6 7.5% 6.2%
7 6.5% 4.7%
8 6.0% 3.6%
9 5.0% 2.7%
10 3.5% 2.1%
11 3.0% 1.5%
12 2.5% 1.1%
13 2.0% 0.8%
14 1.0% 0.5%

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Never mind. My info was bad.

I'm confused as to how the lottery works then? Are the only possible picks available to this team 1st, 5th, or 6th? I don't get how Vegas' pick is supposed to get slotted in. According to that article we have only an 11.3% chance of winning. Seems kinda minuscule. At least the expansion draft has been shaped up in a way that looks to be a competitive team from the jump.

Vegas essentially is the 3rd last team, so Vancouver of this year. Can win 1/2, win 3 to keep their spot, or drop to 4/5/6 depending on who else wins the lottery spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad