2017 New Logo/Jersey News And Concepts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senzilla

Aug 20, 2016
Ottawa
As we all know, the NHL's contract with Reebok is expiring after this year, and Adidas is set to take over. I know it's quite early, but I'm curious to gauge the interests of the fan community on what direction Ottawa should go in. As it stands, Ottawa in the only team left that is still using the original Reebok design from 2007, so an update is probably overdue. I figured this could also be a place for the more artistically talented among us to post concepts, and maybe a place for when news on the new look inevitably comes.

Let me get the ball rolling by saying that I strongly support a continuation of the Roman theme in some fashion, while keeping the heritage jersey as a third jersey. I just don't think it works a permanent look. I favour a return to the 2D senator in some way. I've seen this concept floating around online, and perfectly sums up what I think should be the new look:

Ten.jpeg

So, I'm very curious to hear what the other thoughts out there are.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Revert back to the previous logo. Bring back the old white jersey. Something new for home.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Part of the reason why the Panthers ditched the 90s leaping Panther was because of how poorly it translated as an emblem when it had to be embroidered in smaller sizes.

http://www.icethetics.co/blog/2016/8/31/panthers-redesign-guided-by-in-house-uniform-geeks said:
Even Original Six teams haven’t gone without their share of logo evolution over the years. And as identifiable as the old cat was, no one can deny the logo was a little heavy on the minute details. It’s a design that’s difficult to reproduce particularly at small sizes and when embroidered onto shirts or hats.

“It was very difficult in a digital age to use in a lot of platforms because of the detail and style,†John said. “We wanted something that was more flexible and dynamic and could still respect the past.â€

Not to mention, the classic 2D logo fits and feels very weird on jerseys because of how big and oddly shaped it is. I can't say for sure, but maybe this is why the re-design of the classic 2D logo is almost entirely circular instead of having the huge sprawling points.

I'm a fan of that logo and design, but I wouldn't be surprised if those reasons are why we might never see it back.

If I recall correctly, some people in other threads have mentioned hearing about the Senators not making changes as a result of sitting on stock of the current home/away jerseys and wanting to move that prior to making it irrelevant with a design change. If that's true, this change over from Reebok to Adidas is a good opportunity for fans because the Sens won't have any excuses not to rebrand since any jerseys they are sitting on will become out of date anyways.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Move the chest patch to the shoulders for the 25th anniversary, and then drop the 25 on it after that and I think you have a winner.

I don't really like the Boomhauer centurion, I'd prefer the hybrids logo:

1e065d.png

b8k66a.png

357oger.png

swrc5l.png

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
If the former is the Boomhauer Centurion (never heard that, but I like it :laugh:), then the latter is definitely the Dale Gribble Centurion, aka: "Pocket Sand Centurion".

OMG. That can't be unseen. What have you done! :laugh:

The lack of details in the old centurion always reminded me of Boomhauer, and usually when I point it out, people agree.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I don't buy jerseys often (I only own 1 Sens jersey which I got on super sale)... but I can honestly say, I would buy both of these for full price in a second. Stunning, modern yet classic, pay homage to the past while looking forward. Perfect.

Yeah same here. Red or White are both beautiful.

This team has such a legacy of horrible jerseys. I've always wanted to love them, but the 3D logo is a joke. The old black one was pretty weird, the SENS one was ridiculous.

The only ones I remotely like are the original white and black, and the two new heritage jerseys.

We are clearly due for a refresh and I really hope they finally get it right.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Would love to see a more grown up sweater coming....the heritages were awesome but the marketing team took care of that swiftly the best they could....we have some of the worst garbage apparel available in the league or so it seems.....the hat game might be the most pathetic, I cant help but lol when I look at the hat rack at CTC

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is an unpopular take on these boards, but I am kind of "meh" on the old 2D logo. There's no detail to the helmet, and his face looks like he ran into a wall. ;-) Like others, I prefer our heritage jersey, but forced to pick between the Senturion logos I'll take our current dude in his hoodie over the 2D.

The off-white heritage was our best jersey ever, which is of course why the club smothered it in the crib. Doh!

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
This is an unpopular take on these boards, but I am kind of "meh" on the old 2D logo. There's no detail to the helmet, and his face looks like he ran into a wall. ;-) Like others, I prefer our heritage jersey, but forced to pick between the Senturion logos I'll take our current dude in his hoodie over the 2D.

The off-white heritage was our best jersey ever, which is of course why the club smothered it in the crib. Doh!

In my opinion the sign of a good logo is that it can be drawn by a child from their memory. I think that our current logo is probably the most complex logo in the league, I don't think that I could draw it from memory.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
If the former is the Boomhauer Centurion (never heard that, but I like it :laugh:), then the latter is definitely the Dale Gribble Centurion, aka: "Pocket Sand Centurion".
zDmGrzB.png

I don't like the "wings" on the centurion. The bottom one is supposed to be the cape but the top two are duuuuuumb. Get rid of them entirely I say.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
The Jerk Store concept posted in the OP (which is gorgeous imo) was rejected if I am not mistaken. He posted it here and basically admitted that wouldn't have happened if they were looking to move forward with his concept.

I think that red jersey would be top 5 in the league and I would buy one for my entire family of 4 the first day I could. I'd buy a white one too.

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
There is a poll on the Senators website right now asking "Which is your favorite Senator jersey to wear on a game day?", the Heritage is currently leading with 60% while the home red has just under 24%.

Any other team would have ditched their current home & away jerseys in favour of the heritage jerseys long ago. I even remember Melnyk doing an #AskMelnyk on twitter 2 years ago and he answered multiple people asking about using the Heritage jerseys full time.

If you want to participate in the poll make sure you have Ad Block disabled, I couldn't see it at first.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Ten.jpeg

So, I'm very curious to hear what the other thoughts out there are.

I actually don't like this jersey, and it's mostly because of the black shoulders. Should remove that entirely, then it might work but still comes off too busy. I am however in favor of going back to the 2D design with a minor update to it.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It's so simple. Go back to these:

CYXlnq6UAAEeoih.jpg

apr-1998-rightwinger-denny-lambert-of-the-ottawa-senators-in-action-picture-id271740

I like it with white stripes, but can live without them.

Then heritage 3rd's, and Bob's your uncle.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
It's so simple. Go back to these:
I like it with white stripes, but can live without them.

Then heritage 3rd's, and Bob's your uncle.

I could get behind that plan.

Melnyk would too - think of how much he'd save on graphic designers? JerkStore is living high on the hog and Uncle Euge is funding the whole thing

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
There is a poll on the Senators website right now asking "Which is your favorite Senator jersey to wear on a game day?", the Heritage is currently leading with 60% while the home red has just under 24%.

As of right now, when I answered, the poll looks like this:

kDf89DH.png

The Home Red is floundering in the poll, and basically everyone hates the white away jersey. Heritage jersey is the runaway winner, and rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad