2017 New Logo/Jersey News And Concepts | Part 2 | Disappointment Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I remember talk that the first 3D in 98(?) was modeled after Daigle.

I'd like to think it was of our Captain Randy Cunneyworth. By '98 Daigle was a nobody in the SENS eyes, and was traded that year to Philly!

randycunneyworth.jpg

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'd like to think it was of our Captain Randy Cunneyworth. By '98 Daigle was a nobody in the SENS eyes, and was traded that year to Philly!

View attachment 118925

I've never heard that it was modelled after Daigle, but it does make at least a bit of sense. A logo/jersey change takes quite a while from start to finish, so even if the 3D logo debuted in 1997, it might have been in production since 1995.

The Senators also owned the marketing rights to Daigle as part of his contract. That was part of the justification of paying him so much out of the draft.

ottawa-senators-logo-993F318464-seeklogo.com.gif

vs

file-photo-november-18-1993-alexandre-daigle-ho.jpg

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Daigle must be top 3 biggest busts ever?

feelsbadman
He's up there. I'd put Patrik Stefan, Rick DiPietro ahead of him, which would leave him at 3. Unless we're including guys like Alexander Volchkov and Pavel Brendl. But even then, Daigle probably edges them out based on expectations vs. reality.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Daigle actually put up decent points, especially when you consider how god awful the Senators teams were back when he played. the problem with him was the hype machine around him was bonkers. We were drafting the next Mario Lemieux! Cant miss! Superstar player! Then they gave an 18 year old a $12M contract (I think it was around $4M per season?), which was a huge contract back when that was signed.

Hardly anyone could live up to the hype, and he wasn't mature enough to handle it...or the millions of dollars burning a hole in his pocket.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I suspect you're right that he'll end up there when all is said and done, but I'm a bit reticent to include currently active players. He's certainly well on his way to out-busting Daigle though.

Yeah, I can totally understand wanting to avoid active players. I get it.

Man... I still wonder what Daigle could have done if he gave two craps about hockey, and it wasn't "just a job" to him. Guy is still one of the most talented players ever to wear a Sens jersey from a pure-skills perspective.

It's a shame he had almost zero passion for the game. I still think he could have been a borderline HHOFer with his skill if he had Crosby's drive. He was a better version of Pat Lafontaine if he'd wanted to be, instead he was just happy to cash his rookie contract out and coast on natural skill until no one wanted him anymore.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Daigle actually put up decent points, especially when you consider how god awful the Senators teams were back when he played. the problem with him was the hype machine around him was bonkers. We were drafting the next Mario Lemieux! Cant miss! Superstar player! Then they gave an 18 year old a $12M contract (I think it was around $4M per season?), which was a huge contract back when that was signed.

Hardly anyone could live up to the hype, and he wasn't mature enough to handle it...or the millions of dollars burning a hole in his pocket.

Daigle was also never the same after he crashed into the net and destroyed his should or whatever it was. I don't think Daigle is a top 5 bust player, just never lived up to expectations.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Daigle was also never the same after he crashed into the net and destroyed his should or whatever it was. I don't think Daigle is a top 5 bust player, just never lived up to expectations.

Isn't not living up to expectations the definition of busting. If McDavid only ended up being a mediocre second line player wouldn't that be busting, but if Yakupov became that wouldn't it not be busting due to much lower expectations? At least that is how I view it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well, I just bought two game-worn Team Canada jerseys at a garage sale for $30 each.

I am now the proud owner of Brendan Morrow and Patrick Marleau's game worn jerseys, black alternates, from the 2005 World Championships. For a total of $60.

I don't know if that means I have to retire from garage sales forever, seeing as how they are the greatest Garage Sale find I will ever have, ever, for the rest of my life, and I will never top this moment - the pinnacle of Garage Sales for ever and ever.

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
Well, I just bought two game-worn Team Canada jerseys at a garage sale for $30 each.

I am now the proud owner of Brendan Morrow and Patrick Marleau's game worn jerseys, black alternates, from the 2005 World Championships. For a total of $60.

I don't know if that means I have to retire from garage sales forever, seeing as how they are the greatest Garage Sale find I will ever have, ever, for the rest of my life, and I will never top this moment - the pinnacle of Garage Sales for ever and ever.

That is awesome ! Looking back at the roster that year, the lockout must have helped all the teams - Canada even had Heatley, Fisher, Phillips and Redden #goodoldays

Reactions: BonkTastic

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think it's safe to put Yakupov in the top-3 right now.

The only mitigating factor on Yakupov is that the 2012 draft year turned out to be pretty weak at the top of the first round. It's not like the Oilers passed on a generational or elite player to take him. Daigle, on the other hand, was taken over guys like Pronger and Kariya, which really stings.

Back to our unis - it certainly appears as if the drive back to the "O" was a Tom Anselmi driven exercise, whereas Melnyk loves the current 3D Centurion. With Anselmi out of the picture, I sense that the drive back to the "O" has cooled significantly...

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I think it's safe to put Yakupov in the top-3 right now.

Yakupov is definitely on his way to out-busting Daigle imo. Daigle was never able to meet the sky high expectations that most had for him, but he still had some productive years in the NHL and played more than 600 games in the league. Yakupov has never even hit the 20-goal mark and looks close to finished at the 350 game mark of his career. He's absolutely brutal. It's remarkable that his game hasn't translated to the NHL.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

My pinnacle of garage sale buys so far is a road hockey net for my kids. It's one of the high end ones though. I looked it up. Around $120-$140 at Cdn Tire just for the net, and they threw in one of those goalie mats that hang from the net (4 corners and 5 hole open) and one of those slippery plastic sheets so you can shoot pucks on the driveway too. All in, it was at least $180 worth of stuff, and I got the whole lot for $25.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I don't recall Yakapov as ever being considered the next Lemieux or next superstar. I remember that draft as being considered quite weak and no true superstar available. Am I misremembering?

Daigle on the other hand was considered the next superstar ala Lemieux. Significantly higher expectations for his performance than Yakapov. Yes Yakopov is on his way to being a massive bust, but Daigle is a whole other level of bust imo.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't recall Yakapov as ever being considered the next Lemieux or next superstar. I remember that draft as being considered quite weak and no true superstar available. Am I misremembering?

Daigle on the other hand was considered the next superstar ala Lemieux. Significantly higher expectations for his performance than Yakapov. Yes Yakopov is on his way to being a massive bust, but Daigle is a whole other level of bust imo.

There were some Bure comps being tossed around if I remember correctly.

That being said, obviously nothing compared to the hype train that was Alexandre Daigle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad