2017 New Logo/Jersey News And Concepts | Part 2 | Disappointment Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Both teams jerseys will have the cup years embroidered into the silver stripes on the arms of the jersey as per the teaser images.

We've had banners hanging for those cups, retired Finnigan's number, the entire 'Bring Back The Sens' campaign was based on the historical relevance of the prior team. So for a heritage game, I think it's par for the course to acknowledge those cups. They aren't really this franchise's cups, but this franchise has always acknowledged them as a piece of NHL hockey history.

The Sens were "reinstated" opposed to being an expansion team. Thus they were allowed to lay claim to all the prior championships.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The Sens were "reinstated" opposed to being an expansion team. Thus they were allowed to lay claim to all the prior championships.

Fair enough, I guess I've just never got the impression that the org or fanbase takes ownership of those cup wins in the same way that if you tell a MTL fan that David Desharnais sucks they might comeback with "BUT WE'VE WON X AMOUNT OF CUPS".

It's always felt like they acknowledge the history because it's important and deserves recognition, and it's there, but they aren't "our" cups.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think it's because no one is as obnoxious as a Habs fan when it comes to past Cups moreso than us feeling bad about having had a good team in the city a long time ago ;)

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
red O shoulda been our rebrand. i feel like we missed the boat on this jersey. trying something more unique or full retro (barberpole, 2D...) would be fun.
(i mean its not ugly, but i was personnaly expecting different and new)

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Fair enough, I guess I've just never got the impression that the org or fanbase takes ownership of those cup wins in the same way that if you tell a MTL fan that David Desharnais sucks they might comeback with "BUT WE'VE WON X AMOUNT OF CUPS".

It's always felt like they acknowledge the history because it's important and deserves recognition, and it's there, but they aren't "our" cups.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm with you on this one.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, nothing wrong with recognizing that the city has a rich hockey history that includes Stanley Cups. No Sens fan I've ever known or spoken to takes ownership of those cups personally, in a way that 20 year old Habs fans would take ownership of some old Howie Morenz-led Cup champs team. Nobody is rocking Cy Denneny or King Clancy or Frank Nighbor jerseys in Ottawa.

I like the fact that we have the old cup banners - not in an attempt to keep count with the Habs or Leafs or anything, but it celebrate's the city's history with the game. We've been a very hockey-relevant city, historically, for over a century... why not embrace it?

If we weren't geographically smack-dab in the middle of the two oldest and most celebrated hockey franchises in the world, no one would have a problem with it. If Seattle gets a team in the next few years and hang some old Seattle Metropolitans banners (one Cup win, one Cup loss, and 5 PCHA championships), with their unique old striping, I bet the rest of the league would think it's cool, but that would be OK because Seattle is a non-traditional hockey market (by hockey-snob standards, at least - it clearly has a rich hockey history, but without an NHL team, it is relegated to being a quaint little eccentricity of the hockey world by many). But with our proximity to Montreal and Toronto, we get flack because people think we're trying to "keep score" out of a sense of rivalry and pettiness rather than just celebrate the city's history.

Last edited:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
From the Habs teaser, I'm guessing it'll look something like this (white one) with silver.

Canadiens13.png

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah, nothing wrong with recognizing that the city has a rich hockey history that includes Stanley Cups. No Sens fan I've ever known or spoken to takes ownership of those cups personally, in a way that 20 year old Habs fans would take ownership of some old Howie Morenz-led Cup champs team. Nobody is rocking Cy Denneny or King Clancy or Frank Nighbor jerseys in Ottawa.

I like the fact that we have the old cup banners - not in an attempt to keep count with the Habs or Leafs or anything, but it celebrate's the city's history with the game. We've been a very hockey-relevant city, historically, for over a century... why not embrace it?

If we weren't geographically smack-dab in the middle of the two oldest and most celebrated hockey franchises in the world, no one would have a problem with it. If Seattle gets a team in the next few years and hang some old Seattle Metropolitans banners (one Cup win, one Cup loss, and 5 PCHA championships), with their unique old striping, I bet the rest of the league would think it's cool, but that would be OK because Seattle is a non-traditional hockey market (by hockey-snob standards, at least - it clearly has a rich hockey history, but without an NHL team, it is relegated to being a quaint little eccentricity of the hockey world by many). But with our proximity to Montreal and Toronto, we get flack because people think we're trying to "keep score" out of a sense of rivalry and pettiness rather than just celebrate the city's history.

From my recollection some bitter leafs and habs fans had done the research on this whole situation, it was discussed a few years back on the mains?

I remember getting a laugh because the rival fans lead the charge on this historical exploration and determined 2 things: the cups had no link to the current franchise and that the team sucked in general.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Mmm yes, I'm sure that elite & unbiased team of crack field reporters really got to the bottom of that case. :laugh:

Was advised it was a completely impartial fact based mission to end the spread of mis-information....lol

Anyways, now is that perfect sweet spot time in the morning on the east coast to drop a bit of joy into some fans lives, lets go Adidas/NHL!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I wonder what the reaction would be among he general fanbase if the Sens Twitter account trolled us by releasing a fake image of a beautiful barberpole jersey... with the old alternate SNES logo on front, minutes before releasing the real images of the new jersey, haha. :laugh:

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
No official release yet but this mockup(based on the teasers and leaked logos and such) are probably pretty close to what we'll get imo.

3d7fb3_8a19d0529cca41048db287353f0a78d1~mv2_d_5190_3000_s_4_2.webp

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
No official release yet but this mockup(based on the teasers and leaked logos and such) are probably pretty close to what we'll get imo.

It's not the greatest alternate jersey of all time, but it's still pretty OK all things considered.

I'd take that over our current home unis, though that's a real low bar to clear.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
It's not the greatest alternate jersey of all time, but it's still pretty OK all things considered.

I'd take that over our current home unis, though that's a real low bar to clear.
Yea It doesn't "wow" me but I think it's pretty alright. Wouldn't buy one immediately but might eventually depending on if we do rebrand and go full heritage.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It looks fine. The silver O is a bit wacky, I'm holding out hope that it is white as some people have mentioned being a possibility. I'll wait until I see a picture of the actual jersey being worn before I judge it though since concept pictures don't always do jerseys justice.

I think we're looking at our future home jersey, and in 2 years time they'll just give it the proper black O. I think they probably take away the extra silver trim entirely when it becomes our home jersey, but it would be interesting to see how that trim would look as gold with a black O.

Where as I'm not in a rush to buy the Adizero home/away, I am definitely going to look out for one of these on the discount rack after the Outdoor game is over with.[/cheapass]

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Welp, first they have to have practice. Then they have to eat lunch. Then the social media people need to clean up after the players eat because Melnyk fired all the cleaning staff. Then they have to chase Garrioch out of the trash as he hisses at the staff. Hose him down so the smell doesn't drive away the other reporters. Don Brennans handler has to come in from their other job at petting zoo and make sure that Brennan is muzzed and well behaved. All these things take time.

Reactions: Deku

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Silver O looks bad, and I really dislike the collar. Lack of bottom stripe bothers me but is more in line with the classic look.

Overall another mediocre jersey that I won't be buying. Gimme the white classic from our last outdoor game, please.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Silver O looks bad, and I really dislike the collar. Lack of bottom stripe bothers me but is more in line with the classic look.

Overall another mediocre jersey that I won't be buying. Gimme the white classic from our last outdoor game, please.
I personally like it. Anything better than the 3D faced centurion. We don't have a red 'heritage' styled jersey either.

A pure white heritage classic would be nice. Our current light version of the heritage is a cream color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->