2017 NBA Offseason Thread

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I thought we might as well get this thread started for non-playoffs news, rumours, and speculation. There will probably be more news coming out now that teams have been eliminated from the playoffs.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Former all star Brandon Roy was shot in the leg in Southern California apparently protecting kids from the gunfire.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

He might leave but going to the West because you can't beat LeBron would be an interesting decision, if that's what Stein is implying there. Its going to be even tougher to get past the Warriors out West. I'd still be surprised if he turned down a 5-year max contract if the Raptors offer it.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
If the Raps can get him to sign for 3 years, they gotta do it. It's a well-constructed roster on paper that can't really up its game in the playoffs, so I'd give it another go with a new coach. Unless that coach plans to use the heck out of JV, he may be expendable to them. Try and bring back Tucker and Ibaka (I have no idea how the cap works so I'm just spitballing here). Ship Carroll off to anywhere that will take him.

They've been in existence for over 20 years and are currently in an era of their best team ever. Don't really agree with blowing that up to fall into mediocrity for who knows how many years. They're too good to just bottom out unless they trade anything that moves.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Good column from Lowe, as usual.

I don't think Lowry is taking three years but I agree they should bring him back because even though the last year or two of the deal will likely be ugly, he's still their best player. I think there's only so much you can do offensively with DeRozan's style of play but bringing in a new HC certainly wouldn't be a bad idea. They have to make some changes.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Would be huge for them if DeRozan could become a solid 3pt shooter, even on low volume. They need shooters.

Would also be huge if they could move DeRozan for some good assets. Yes, I still believe they can build a more well-rounded team without their 27 PPG all-star.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Would also be huge if they could move DeRozan for some good assets. Yes, I still believe they can build a more well-rounded team without their 27 PPG all-star.
I'm not sure how they can move a 27 year old DeRozan in his prime and build around a max contract Kyle Lowry, whose already 31. Unless they're getting a more well rounded player for DeRozan, but I'm not sure who that could be.

I like this quote from the article: Staying good is safer. Staying good is OK. There is honor in competing, even if no one in the East can compete with LeBron. Chasing rings and living in the toilet are not the only two choices.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm not sure how they can move a 27 year old DeRozan in his prime and build around a max contract Kyle Lowry, whose already 31. Unless they're getting a more well rounded player for DeRozan, but I'm not sure who that could be.

I like this quote from the article: Staying good is safer. Staying good is OK. There is honor in competing, even if no one in the East can compete with LeBron. Chasing rings and living in the toilet are not the only two choices.

You probably can't move him if Lowry is coming back. I just like how the Raptors play when they put some more defense and shooting around Lowry. More pleasing to watch and it's pretty effective. DeRozan is obviously very good but he's not my type of player.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Some interesting comments from Masai Ujiri today.

Raptors president Masai Ujiri: ‘We need a culture reset’

I don't know how you truly accomplish that if you bring back Casey along with both of DeRozan and Lowry. Masai made it clear he doesn't like the style of play and it's much easier to change the HC than star players.

Masai was addressing the offense in general but him talking about needing less one on one play, less standing and dribbling, more movement, and turning long twos to threes just screamed DeRozan.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Some interesting comments from Masai Ujiri today.

Raptors president Masai Ujiri: ‘We need a culture reset’

I don't know how you truly accomplish that if you bring back Casey along with both of DeRozan and Lowry. Masai made it clear he doesn't like the style of play and it's much easier to change the HC than star players.

Masai was addressing the offense in general but him talking about needing less one on one play, less standing and dribbling, more movement, and turning long twos to threes just screamed DeRozan.

Casey needs to go. Lucky for him they made the ECF last year and it saved his job, regardless of LeBron playing amazing a sweep is unacceptable. Ujiri thought this was the year LeBron could be beat to, they need a fresh voice in the locker room who can input new systems and try something new.

If the Raps can get him to sign for 3 years, they gotta do it. It's a well-constructed roster on paper that can't really up its game in the playoffs, so I'd give it another go with a new coach. Unless that coach plans to use the heck out of JV, he may be expendable to them. Try and bring back Tucker and Ibaka (I have no idea how the cap works so I'm just spitballing here). Ship Carroll off to anywhere that will take him.

They've been in existence for over 20 years and are currently in an era of their best team ever. Don't really agree with blowing that up to fall into mediocrity for who knows how many years. They're too good to just bottom out unless they trade anything that moves.

Good luck. He just had arguably his best season and this is his last chance to get a lucrative contract, especially with the cap ballooning.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Amazing trading Gay was the first step for a tank job by Ujiri, along with the Lowry/Knicks deal that fell thru yet his team turned around and went on the best run in franchise history.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
"Basketball hell". I'm not sure what kind of contract he'll get though. Coming off a major injury, 31 when next season starts, and his game is becoming a part of the NBA's past.
Poor Rudy had it so tough here.

Hope he gets as little as possible.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

That's big.

They were saying back in March that if this exact situation happened the Pacers would pretty much lose all chance of keeping PG13. Because now the money they can offer vs say the Lakers isn't as far apart of what it could have been.

Boston is reportedly putting all its effort into signing Hayward. With his mentor Stevens as HC, I don't see how they wont end up signing him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not surprising. The league has to give the Lakers as many chances to succeed as possible.

200.gif

Unless you forgot the :sarcasm:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Lakers are NBA's cash cow, if you don't think it's in the NBA's interest to see them do good you're as naive as they come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->