2017 HFNHL Mock Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
We're a week out from our big day. Let's do some mocking. Would love to see a few other people do one too.

1. Boston Bruins - Nolan Patrick
Nico or Patrick, that is the million dollar question facing Mr. Krueger. Both would fit well into the Bruins' future plans. But something tells me that Rob's love for size will win out and make his selection Patrick.

2. Dallas Stars - Nico Hischier
At this point, I think it's an easy decision for Tom Baker in Dallas. Take the player Boston does not. In this case, it's Nico, the Swiss wonder kid who looks like a future star at both ends of the ice.

3. Tampa Bay Lightning - Miro Heiskanen
Tampa, with a strong stable of young players is in a position to simply take the best player available here. Who that is, is anyone's guess. I could see Tampa going for another quality center here with a guy like Glass, Vilardi, or Mittelstadt, but I think they go back to Finland and take the talented two-way defender who can play in Tampa's top four in the next few years.

4. Washington Capitals - Casey Mittelstadt
Definitely see the Capitals going for one of the quality centers available at this spot. Howell has certainly shown some bias towards the U.S. in his drafting philosophy at times, and I think he goes for the talented Minnesota Hockey man here.

5. Arizona Coyotes - Elias Pettersson
Pettersson has been a favourite of a particular scouting company all season long and his offensive upside will be alluring to a Coyotes team that continues to need help at forward. Of course, adding Gabe Vilardi after taking Logan Brown and Logan Stanley last year, will be alluring. And they could role the dice on Cale Makar since they have two first rounders.

6. Las Vegas Golden Knights - Gabe Vilardi
The Vegas Knights will feel pressure to get a surefire NHL player with their first ever draft pick. At this spot, they will have options. But I think it's always smart to start your franchise with a center, and a guy with some size. His playmaking ability will be an asset for the Las Vegas franchise moving forward.

7. Philadelphia Flyers - Owen Tippett
The Flyers, under Alvaro Silvan, have always been a team who likes to draft highly skilled offensive players even if they have a few warts. Philadelphia has some highly skilled playmakers in the pipeline but lacks a true goal scoring threat.

8. New York Rangers - Cody Glass
Glass falls a little bit, since he seems to be getting a lot of love for the top 5-6 picks at this point. But the Rangers scoop up the speedy center in hopes to build around him down the middle.

9. New Jersey Devils - Timothy Liljegren
I think if Liljegren and Cale Makar are available at this spot, I see the Devils going for a defender to help rebuild an aging blueline. It all depends how you view the slick skating Swede's offensive potential, but the Devils jump on it and see him as a bit safer than Makar.

10. Edmonton Oilers - Nick Suzuki
Just screams a Drew pick as he looks to put his stamp on the Oilers' franchise. A solid two-way center who lacks size but has everything else.

11. Minnesota Wild - Cale Makar

Makar finally goes after a bit of a fall towards the back of the lottery. HFNHL teams were scared off by how long they may have to wait for him, but Minnesota and Dan Chan has never been afraid of a project, especially if he possesses high end potential. A great add for them here.

12. Chicago Blackhawks - Michael Rasmussen

Big, powerful center who brings size and goal scoring ability to the Hawks in the future. There are some who are skeptical because of his 5 on 5 numbers, but he's good value at this point for Chicago.

13. Columbus Blue Jackets - Martin Necas
The Jackets, rebuilding and looking to get younger, select Necas, a speedy playmaker from the Czech Republic who possesses a lot of offensive potential. A real boom/bust kind of player. Could also see the Jackets going Klim Kostin here since they've never been afraid of the Russian factor.

14. New Jersey Devils - Kristian Vesalainen
A big powerful winger who started the year as a potential top 10 pick, struggled, but finished the year strong at the U18's to save his draft status. The Devils are loving their Swedes and Finns this year.

15. Ottawa Senators - Robert Thomas
Maybe a tad early for Thomas here, but if there's one thing that Jeff Miller has been known for, it's taking his guy regardless of where he's ranked. I see Thomas as the type of player Miller usually targets. Strong at both ends, with more offensive potential he's being given credit for.

16. Nashville Predators - Lias Andersson

Strong two-way center who fits the mold of the type of player GM Tony K always seems to target. Late birth date. Offensive numbers were not terrific this year, but when he's played against his peers, he's been terrific.

17. Buffalo Sabres - Klim Kostin
Had a rough year with injuries and illness, so it's tough to gauge him going into the draft, but Kostin has long been considered one of the top offensive players available in this age group. Last year, GM Joe showed no hesitation in taking Russian players, so he jumps on the chance to take Kostin here.

18. Carolina Hurricanes - Callan Foote

The Canes opt to go defense in the 1st round, selecting the son of NHL great, Adam Foote. The team's prospect pool could use an injection on the blueline and Foote is probably the best defender available at this point. And as a Western Canadian, GM Solly can keep an eye on Foote in his backyard.

19. Florida Panthers - Isaac Ratcliffe

One of the things that GM Brock Otten is looking to accomplish is adding size to the forward ranks, especially on the wing. Ratcliffe is a monster of a kid who has great scoring potential once he fills out. As an OHL pick, this one makes sense.

20. Calgary Flames - Erik Brannstrom
Calgary jumps on Brannstrom, who as undersized as he is, is also one of the most talented offensive blueliners available this year. He has great value at selection #20 because some scouting agencies have him as a lottery selection.

21. Edmonton Oilers - Nic Hague
Another OHL selection for the Oilers and their new GM Drew Niece. Hague is a huge kid with a booming shot and a developing physical game. At this point, an argument could easily be made about him being the BPA at #21.

22. Toronto Maple Leafs - Eeli Tolvanen
Undersized scoring forward who had a very solid year in the USHL. The Leafs go for the high upside here with Tolvanen who could be a 30 goal scorer in the HFNHL in 5 years.

23. Vancouver Canucks - Pierre Olivier Joseph
A bit of an off the board selection, but Joseph is a massive riser in the second half of the season. The slick skating, two-way defender is a player who possesses great potential once he fills out. Fits the MO of Sean Keogh, who always targets upside over safeness.

24. Florida Panthers - Ryan Poehling
After going high upside with their first pick in the round (Ratcliffe), the Panthers opt for Ryan Poehling with their second first rounder. Poehling seems like a very safe bet to develop into a quality 3rd line center who can be a 20/20 guy.

25. Pittsburgh Penguins - Kole Lind

Hard nosed scoring winger from the WHL. Sounds like a Robb Doduck type of player.

26. Nashville Predators - Jason Robertson
Skating concerns aside, Robertson is a legitimate prospect for this year's draft. He was the offense in Kingston this year and has a great head for the game to go with his size on the wing. A solid selection by the Preds here.

27. Detroit Red Wings - Conor Timmins

GM Zac Niece opts for Timmins, a slick two-way defender with great vision. He plays bigger than his size and should develop into a quality #4 in the HFNHL. A defender seems like the smart thing to add for the Red Wings franchise that needs an injection of youth.

28. Montreal Canadiens - Urho Vaakanainen
Vaakanainen is a solid two-way defender who is one of the better skaters eligible for this year's draft. The Canadiens and Matt Kowachuk were impressed with him at the Under 18's this year.

29. Arizona Coyotes - Juuso Valimaki
Valimaki falls a bit in the draft, but the Coyotes are happy to take him late in the 1st round. He's a solid offensive blueliner who can run a PP and adds nicely to the stable of prospects Arizona has accumulated.

30. Los Angeles Kings - Josh Norris
A tremendous combine performance seems to be really elevating Norris as the top player available from the US NDP this year. LA is another team that has been very savvy when it comes to the draft and not afraid to take the player they want regardless of draft ranking.

31. Pittsburgh Penguins - Jake Oettinger
With two first round picks and not much in the stable other than an aging Cory Schneider, the Pens take the top rated goaltender available, knowing that someone will take him in that top 40 range in the HFNHL. He's a solid add for them at this point.

Brent Burns Beard