Prospect Info: 2017 HF Devils Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would like to put Wood higher than quite a few of these guys, I just think that the chances of Wood becoming a good player are not very good if we don't give him a bit more time to work on his game in the AHL.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
There has been very little recency bias this year. Only two guys from this draft are in the top 10 and Nico was obvious.

Assuming Anderson comes in at #9 i'll likely be voting for Walsh to round out the top 10, I was high on the pick to begin with and he had a very strong development camp.

But I agree that shiny new toy syndrome doesn't seem to be affecting these polls too much considering Hischier & Boqvist were pretty obvious locks for the top 10.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Assuming Anderson comes in at #9 i'll likely be voting for Walsh to round out the top 10, I was high on the pick to begin with and he had a very strong development camp.

But I agree that shiny new toy syndrome doesn't seem to be affecting these polls too much considering Hischier & Boqvist were pretty obvious locks for the top 10.

I think Mueller needs to start getting serious consideration now.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014

Same here, Walsh on my list to round out the top 10

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I like Walsh but he still needs to bulk up and he is years away.

Wood and Mueller should go ahead of Walsh

I think Wood should've gone ahead of Boqvist/Anderson IMO.

Wood - Boqvist - Anderson in that order.

The next tier after Wood/Anderson IMO, is Mueller, Walsh, Bastian, Popugayev, and Zetterlund.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I like Walsh but he still needs to bulk up and he is years away.

Wood and Mueller should go ahead of Walsh

I tend to vote based off what I perceive their projected ceilings to be rather than where they are currently in their development. Based off what I've seen so far i'm tapering my expectations for Wood a little.

Mueller hasn't been overly impressive in my (admittedly limited) viewings of him, but he definitely has the tools. It's very hard to place him since so much of his development has already taken place outside of our organization.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Addressing some of what was said on the last thread, it's just a fun exercise that kills some time in the dog days of the summer.

Everyone has different criteria for ranking prospects. The hope is that we get enough to vote that all of that different criteria balances out to something close to a consensus. Not every list will be the same, but this will end up being something close to the average of all the lists.

There is definitely some recency bias and weight towards the newer prospects. In my opinion, the guys that get drafted typically have impressive seasons or resumes that end up getting them drafted. There's more hope for them or someone who had a strong draft +1 like Anderson than a guy that had a mediocre draft +1 year like Bastian or someone whose development has stagnated a bit like Jacobs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Addressing some of what was said on the last thread, it's just a fun exercise that kills some time in the dog days of the summer.

Everyone has different criteria for ranking prospects. The hope is that we get enough to vote that all of that different criteria balances out to something close to a consensus. Not every list will be the same, but this will end up being something close to the average of all the lists.

There is definitely some recency bias and weight towards the newer prospects. In my opinion, the guys that get drafted typically have impressive seasons or resumes that end up getting them drafted. There's more hope for them or someone who had a strong draft +1 like Anderson than a guy that had a mediocre draft +1 year like Bastian or someone whose development has stagnated a bit like Jacobs.

Again there has been very little recency bias this year. 2016 draft is getting all the love right now.

Honestly if people want to be grumpy about it just don't bother. This is just some fun.

The prospect pool is just much healthier right now. There are a bunch of kids that could easily jump into the top 10 that aren't right now.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Again there has been very little recency bias this year. 2016 draft is getting all the love right now.

Honestly if people want to be grumpy about it just don't bother. This is just some fun.

The prospect pool is just much healthier right now. There are a bunch of kids that could easily jump into the top 10 that aren't right now.

The only recency bias is really Boqvist, but I think he slots in close to where he should be. Development camp may have skewed his rank a bit, but that's only because he looked very strong there.

Anderson put up close to a PPG as a freshman. Rykov played on a stacked SKA team and performed very well at the WJC. Blackwood turned pro at 19/20 and put up very respectable numbers (especially the last half of the year).

Wood is the only one at this moment who should probably be higher. Even then, if you compare him as a prospect in his draft +1 year to a guy like Anderson, they both made the WJC and Anderson played a more important 1RW/1PK role on a gold medal team. You have to juggle whether you think Anderson's most reasonable projection is better than Wood's, which I think there's a decent argument for.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The only recency bias is really Boqvist, but I think he slots in close to where he should be. Development camp may have skewed his rank a bit, but that's only because he looked very strong there.

Anderson put up close to a PPG as a freshman. Rykov played on a stacked SKA team and performed very well at the WJC. Blackwood turned pro at 19/20 and put up very respectable numbers (especially the last half of the year).

Wood is the only one at this moment who should probably be higher. Even then, if you compare him as a prospect in his draft +1 year to a guy like Anderson, they both made the WJC and Anderson played a more important 1RW/1PK role on a gold medal team. You have to juggle whether you think Anderson's most reasonable projection is better than Wood's, which I think there's a decent argument for.

I think this is the lowest a 2nd rounder in their draft year has done in these polls. They almost always go higher.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
20 yrs Miles Wood - 35 points in 37 games (H-East 0.37)
18 yrs Joey Anderson - 37 points in 39 games (NCHC 0.41)

Not to mention one is very smart in all zones where the other is Woods.

How in any world is Miles Wood better than Anderson...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
20 yrs Miles Wood - 35 points in 37 games (H-East 0.37)
18 yrs Joey Anderson - 37 points in 39 games (NCHC 0.41)

Not to mention one is very smart in all zones where the other is Woods.

How in any world is Miles Wood better than Anderson...

Anderson also played on a pretty stacked and experienced top line. Wood produced those #'s while not on a top line. Also not sure what the pp breakdown is on those #'s. Kind of assume Anderson played and produce more with the man advantage then did Wood.

And of coarse judging the potential of a player goes beyond their respective #'s at a similar level of play.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well we finally have prospects who have had good developmental seasons after getting drafted. :laugh:

Speer's junior #'s have actually trended downward. Bastian certainly took a step back in his +1 year.

And guys like Wood, Boucher, Sev's etc showed big progression after they were drafted.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

I think it's great that we finally have enough quality players that we can have disagreements on who deserves to be in the top 10 etc.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Anderson also played on a pretty stacked and experienced top line. Wood produced those #'s while not on a top line. Also not sure what the pp breakdown is on those #'s. Kind of assume Anderson played and produce more with the man advantage then did Wood.

And of coarse judging the potential of a player goes beyond their respective #'s at a similar level of play.

Wood played on a stacked BC team where he was the 5th leading scorer. He had 3 power play goals, so he clearly played on the PP and I'm not going to go through and count the assists on the power play.

Anderson had 9 PP points which ranked 4th on his team. He had 28 ES or SH points.

Anderson is clearly a better prospect but his upside is lower. But Wood so rarely reaches his potential peak. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Anderson all day.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He still has no idea how to play hockey.

I honestly wouldn't mind him starting out in the AHL this year. The speed and chaos he brings is entertaining, but he needs to figure out that there's more than just going full throttle all the time. I did think he showed signs of improvement as the season went on though, so that's a positive sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad