Prospect Info: 2017 HF Devils Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
2013 top 10

1. Jon Merrill
2. Reid Boucher
3. Damon Severson
4. Eric Gelinas
5. Stefan Matteau (forgive me father, for I forgot this epic bust even existed)
6/7. Steve Santini
6/7. Alexander Urbom
8. Scott Wedgewood
9. Brandon Burlon
10. Reese Scarlett

2015 top 10
1 Pavel Zacha
2 Steve Santini
3 John Quenneville
4 Reid Boucher
5 Stefan Matteau
6 MacKenzie Blackwood
7 Blake Coleman
8 Joshua Jacobs
9 Blake Speers
10 Joseph Blandisi

I'm having a really hard time finding the 2014 threads for some reason. I know we had one of these that year, but I'm not sure why I can't find them?

The 2015 list isn't so bad, with only Matteau, Coleman and Jacobs not being NHL caliber. Boucher still remains to be seen, as does Blandisi, though I like what I've seen from Blandisi so far.

The 2013 top 10 is really bad. Merrill looks to be okay. Only Severson and Santini look pretty good, and them and Wedgewood are the only ones left that are still in the organization from that top 10. No Helgeson, but ****in Urbom, Burlon and Scarlett all in the top 10. I was surprised Burlon was still in the top 10 by 2013.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Boqvist edges this for me, I'll definitely be voting Anderson & Blackwood next though, the three of them are very close.

After that it gets a little trickier, right now i'd probably lean towards Walsh, he looked fantastic at the development camp.

Wood is supremely overrated, i'm surprised he's getting any votes. I can't fault the intensity with which he plays, but his game has so many deficiencies that he'll need to overcome if he wants to be anything more than a fourth line sparkplug going forward. I simply can't overlook those in the context of these rankings, he really needs a full year in the AHL to develop the weaker aspects of his game in an easier environment, unfortunately I don't think he'll get that which may further pigeonhole him into the one-dimensional role he fills currently.

Agree that Walsh may be in the next grouping.

I don't get the Wood hate - granted, I didn't watch a lot of him last season. I've been a fan of this team a long time, but last season was probably the fewest games I've watched in over a decade. Was just too frustrating, as I was expecting them to be more competitive and with a family now, etc. it just wasn't worth the time.

That being said, he must be doing something right to make the jump straight from college after only a year (granted, he was older) and play 60 games in the NHL as a 21-year old. His stats from last year aren't all that bad, so I'm not sure why so many people are already writing him off instead of seeing room for improvement. I just don't get it.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
And the way that prospect pool looked is why people didn't want this team to gun for the playoffs when it needed high picks. Thankfully Shero plays the long term game

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
remember when our future D was thought to be

larsson
gelinas
merrill
severson
santini
urbom

…still have 2 of them at least….and got hall from the oil.

still high on severson and santini

man, gelly was a one trick pony, damn that shot :laugh:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Agree that Walsh may be in the next grouping.

I don't get the Wood hate - granted, I didn't watch a lot of him last season. I've been a fan of this team a long time, but last season was probably the fewest games I've watched in over a decade. Was just too frustrating, as I was expecting them to be more competitive and with a family now, etc. it just wasn't worth the time.

That being said, he must be doing something right to make the jump straight from college after only a year (granted, he was older) and play 60 games in the NHL as a 21-year old. His stats from last year aren't all that bad, so I'm not sure why so many people are already writing him off instead of seeing room for improvement. I just don't get it.

I think it is more that people believe that playing in the NHL so quickly has stunted his growth. I agree he is young and has more upside. That said it seems unlikely to me he will get much better playing fourth line minutes rarer than on a top line with Bingo. I won't say he can't but it will be much harder and require something of an organizational commitment to making it happen.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think it is more that people believe that playing in the NHL so quickly has stunted his growth. I agree he is young and has more upside. That said it seems unlikely to me he will get much better playing fourth line minutes rarer than on a top line with Bingo. I won't say he can't but it will be much harder and require something of an organizational commitment to making it happen.

Wood should start the season in Bingo, IMO.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
It's a little humbling to look around the league and its history of drafted players and think how few of them will make any sort of meaningful NHL impact, but despite that, this still feels a hell of a lot better when we were all clamoring to see Tyler Eckford or Alex Urbom get a taste of the NHL. Shero's done a really great job so far.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well the big difference is you have 10 guys that actually have a chance to become impact players vs like 3 or 4 at best.

Plus I imagine we might be sleeping on a few guys who are going to go outside the top 10

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We didn't have a poll for 2014.

If we did, whoever did it did not use the prospect tag.

Well that explains that.

I figured that had to be the case because I couldn't find it for the life of me.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
remember when our future D was thought to be

larsson
gelinas
merrill
severson
santini
urbom

…still have 2 of them at least….and got hall from the oil.

still high on severson and santini

man, gelly was a one trick pony, damn that shot :laugh:

Were correct on 3 of them. Merrill is the real disappointment there. If he had worked out our D situation would, obviously, be a lot better.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Anderson for the 3rd time. I don't think people are really looking at what he's done, because if they had they'd be taking him a lot more seriously.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Anderson for the 3rd time. I don't think people are really looking at what he's done, because if they had they'd be taking him a lot more seriously.

I think it's more that we actually have other prospects worth considering. Blackwood has done really well for a young goalie. Boqvist could have been considered a first round talent this past season and has shown well in multiple different competitions/leagues. Anderson has been really impressive since his draft for sure, I just prefer someone else.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well, if you're going to add anyone from the 2017 draft class he should be the next one since he was the highest drafted player this year not currently on the list.

Given he is way older then the other guys from that draft I'm not sure that holds water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad