Prospect Info: 2017 HF Devils Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #16

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
[table="head;width=4000]Rank|Player|POS|Draft Position|2016-17 Team(s)|Vote %|2016 Result|2015 Result
#1|Nico Hischier|C|2017 #1|Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)|---|Pavel Zacha|Pavel Zacha
#2|Michael McLeod|C|2016 #12|Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)|82.02%|Michael McLeod|Steven Santini
#3|Steve Santini|D|2013 #42|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|71.26%|Steven Santini|John Quenneville
#4|John Quenneville|W|2014 #30|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|68.18%|John Quenneville|Reid Boucher
#5|Blake Speers|RW|2015 #67|Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)|33.3%|Mackenzie Blackwood|Stefan Matteau
#6|Yegor Rykov|D|2016 #132|SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)|22%|Joseph Blandisi|MacKenzie Blackwood
#T-7|MacKenzie Blackwood|G|2015 #38|Albany Devils (AHL)|30.61%|Miles Wood|Blake Coleman
#T-7|Jesper Boqvist|C|2017 #36|Brynas IF (SHL)|30.61%|Josh Jacobs|Josh Jacobs
#9|Joey Anderson|RW|2016 #73|University of Minnesota-Duluth (NCHC)|50.63|Blake Speers|Blake Speers
#10|Miles Wood|LW|2013 #100|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|56.16%|Nathan Bastian|Joseph Blandisi
#11|Mirco Mueller|D|2013 #18|San Jose Barracuda (AHL)|41.56%|Nick Lappin|Raman Hrabrenka|
#12|Nikita Popugayev|RW|2017 #98|M. Jaw Warriors/P. George Cougars (WHL)|37.66%|Mikhail Maltsev|Miles Wood
#13|Reilly Walsh|D|2017 #81|Proctor Academy (USHS)/Chicago Steel (USHL)|43.04%|Scott Wedgewood|Ryan Kujawinski
#14|Nathan Bastian|RW|2016 #42|Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)|57.53%|Brandon Gignac|Seth Helgeson
#15|Brandon Gignac|C|2016 #70|Shawnigan Cataractes (QMJHL)|61.82%|Joey Anderson|Kerfoot/Kalinin|

[/table]

Please remember to vote for who you want to add to the poll next. Most votes gets included in the next poll

[table="head;width=150]Eligible Prospects
Michael Kapla
Ken Appleby
Colby Sissons
Yegor Zaitsev
Matthew Hellickson
Evan Cormier
Brett Seney
Josh Jacobs
J.D. Dudek
Brandon Baddock
Ryan Kujawinski
[/table]

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
For 21-25, I'm likely going to make one poll with all of the remaining options and have people pick 5 options and then sort them by whoever gets the most votes.

Not ideal, but it's likely the easiest way to decide.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
you know what, i think i gotta give it to dyblenko. in looking, he's actually held it down fairly well on a pretty subpar spartak/oblast team over the last few years

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
feel like next year Zetterlund ends up making the same type of jump in our rankings that Joey did this year

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
you know what, i think i gotta give it to dyblenko. in looking, he's actually held it down fairly well on a pretty subpar spartak/oblast team over the last few years

To be honest, I'm quite sceptical about Dyblenko. I mean, the last time a more-or-less mediocre KHL defensman was rather successfull in the NHL was Nikita Nikitin and it didn't last too long. Obviously I will be very happy to be proven wrong.

Interesting to see that Maltsev was, imo, quite overrated here a year ago, but he had a good season since then and now he is kind of underrated. :)

Add Zaitsev, as I hope for some upside there.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
To be honest, I'm quite sceptical about Dyblenko. I mean, the last time a more-or-less mediocre KHL defensman was rather successfull in the NHL was Nikita Nikitin and it didn't last too long. Obviously I will be very happy to be proven wrong.

Interesting to see that Maltsev was, imo, quite overrated here a year ago, but he had a good season since then and now he is kind of underrated. :)

Add Zaitsev, as I hope for some upside there.

It is not really that Maltsev is getting underrated, it is kind of just that we now have more prospects that are better than him. No one is going to deny that he had a solid year

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Zetterlund. The add's have dried up. But I'll go draft position and take Jacobs.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It is not really that Maltsev is getting underrated, it is kind of just that we now have more prospects that are better than him. No one is going to deny that he had a solid year

Solid for a 4th rounder, but when he was picked I was hoping we found a sleeper in the later rounds, so I did probably overrate him in this poll at that time. But his #'s this past year didn't really jump out. 2 goals in 34 games in the russian minor leagues? Fairly disappointing actually.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Solid for a 4th rounder, but when he was picked I was hoping we found a sleeper in the later rounds, so I did probably overrate him in this poll at that time. But his #'s this past year didn't really jump out. 2 goals in 34 games in the russian minor leagues? Fairly disappointing actually.

2 goals in 34 games is no big deal, I agree, but those 13 assists are pretty impressive. ;)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
2 goals in 34 games is no big deal, I agree, but those 13 assists are pretty impressive. ;)

Is the wink poking at me for leaving that out, or for you admitting 15 total points in 34 VHL games is not that impressive?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I never quite got why everyone seemed so high on Malstiev. I liked Giggy more.

He had a fine season, but it is really hard to figure out how his stars transfer from the leagues he currently plays in.

Don't get the Bratt votes at all. Yeah he had a good day yesterday, but he is a long shot compared to Zetterlund.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Bratt makes no sense here over Zetterlund or even Studenic.

If you go back to when each was 16. Bratt was better. He played twice as many games in the super elite, and put up 4 X's as many points.

They've been pretty even on the Int'l stage.

But bratt has struggled playing in the minor leagues. Last year you might give him a mulligan, he was 17, he was small, but his #'s didn't progress. I think it will be good for him to get his confidence against kids again, he could have a big year, but eventually he will have to prove it against men.

Zetterlund also didn't do much in the pro's, but he skipped right over minors and played the SHL.

Truthfully just going by the stat sheet, Bratt holds his own pretty well with Zetterlund. Certainly makes one wonder why he fell as far as he did in the draft. But his +1 season in the pros does raise some red flags.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I am going Bratt over Stud's though. I'm not seeing much on Stud's stat sheet.

This is another case where Bratt(and Zetterlund for that matter) is only a bit older then a guy drafted a year later.

Bratt born July of 98, Stud's in Oct of 98.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

I think it's more so the fact that no one has any idea how to evaluate those numbers in the Russian leagues. I know I for one really don't have a point of comparison for the VHL or what constitutes "good" in a draft+1 season.

What would be Maltsev's upside from your perspective?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think it's more so the fact that no one has any idea how to evaluate those numbers in the Russian leagues. I know I for one really don't have a point of comparison for the VHL or what constitutes "good" in a draft+1 season.

That is definitely my take. There might be something there but I have no clue how to interpret VHL numbers.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Is the wink poking at me for leaving that out, or for you admitting 15 total points in 34 VHL games is not that impressive?

I just meant that being almost 0.5 ppg in a pro league at his age while getting mostly 4th line minutes is actually impressive, even though there were only 2 regular season goals.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

I think he might become a quality middle-six center if everything goes well (although to be honest I still have doubts about his offensive upside).

That is definitely my take. There might be something there but I have no clue how to interpret VHL numbers.

Well, it's always like that when working with any foreign league, the most common VHL comparable is ECHL, don't know if that makes it any easier, although I never compared stats/scoring of those leagues.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think he might become a quality middle-six center if everything goes well (although to be honest I still have doubts about his offensive upside).

Well, it's always like that when working with any foreign league, the most common VHL comparable is ECHL, don't know if that makes it any easier, although I never compared stats/scoring of those leagues.

That definitely doesn't make me want to vote for him very high in our poll. Haha

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yeah, I now see that in terms of scoring ECHL is a bad comparison for VHL, as only 5 VHL players went over ppg last season, while it's something like 50 for the ECHL. :D

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah, I now see that in terms of scoring ECHL is a bad comparison for VHL, as only 5 VHL players went over ppg last season, while it's something like 50 for the ECHL. :D

It is a really low league too. Comparing men leagues and Canadian juniors is easier and why Malsteiv is going to be low until he makes it in a men's league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad