Prospect Info: 2017 HF Devils Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #14

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
How many guys go from .92 ppg to .77 ppg in their draft+1 year and have NHL success?

That's almost the exact same spread as Quenneville who also was injured(concussion) Draft +1...a lot of the exact same unwarranted criticisms were said about Quenneville too.

Quenneville Draft year .95 PPG
Draft +1 .82 PPG.

-.13 for Quenneville
-.15 for Bastian

People on this board were relentless with Quenneville even though he was awesome in the playoffs that year and was selected for team Canada WJC team.

Lots of similarities here.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
That's almost the exact same spread as Quenneville who also was injured(concussion) Draft +1...a lot of the exact same unwarranted criticisms were said about Quenneville too.

Draft +1 .82 PPG.

-.13 for Quenneville
-.15 for Bastian

People on this board were relentless with Quenneville even though he was awesome in the playoffs that year and was selected for team Canada WJC team.

Maybe in their numbers but they're rather different players.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Draft +1 .82 PPG.

-.13 for Quenneville
-.15 for Bastian

They are not unwarranted. Q's +1 season, much like Bastian's was not good. I think where people go wrong is to completely write off a guy coming off a bad season. Or by saying 98% of previous 2nd rounders in similar situation bust, thus there is a 98% chance that these guys bust. I think that is a faulty. In both of these guys cases injuries probably played a part, maybe usage played a role as well. Q bounced back and we again are optimistic, now we have to hope the same for Bastian.

But right now? I'd rather rank a kid coming off a good season then a guy coming off a bad one.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh

Draft +1 .82 PPG.

-.13 for Quenneville
-.15 for Bastian

Except JQ's way better playoff. Not to dismiss what Bastian did, but JQ was a ppg in the playoffs on that Brandon team while Bastian was .7 ppg. The comparison is fair during the regular season but not during the playoffs. That's where JQ made his living, Bastian was 6th (someone can fact check that) in playoff scoring on the Steelheads team. I believe JQ was second on that Brandon team. That doesn't factor in scoring differences between leagues either.

Not trying to knock Bastian, I just think the idea he wasn't disappointing this year is ignoring the facts. I think we all expected more from him.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Bastian for me because of his combination of size and skill. His down year offensively doesn't worry me in the least and I also believe he's one of our more sure things prospect wise when it comes to making it in the NHL. Even if he only projects as a bottom 6 guy.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
It's just amazing to me how much our prospect pool has improved since Shero took over. I've been on this site since 2002 and this is far and away the best prospect pool we've ever had in all that time. I truly believe we have a top 5 prospect pool and this is without Zacha being recognized as one. even though I consider anyone who hasn't played 82 games to be a prospect still. He's played 71 games and Miles Wood has played 61 yet Zacha isn't a prospect but Wood is. All because of a random number this site decided on years ago.

It's whatever though we still have such a great forward group regardless and a solid goalie group - all we lack is a few more higher end defense prospects and we will have evey group covered. I expect after next years draft for us to sure up the defense. Plus the fact we still have all our picks plus one or two extra will enable us to keep up as best we can with the probable graduations of Santini, Wood, Quennville, Mueller and of course Hischier. The future bright and exciting that's for sure.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Given we have a ton of picks next year, and don't look to be a very good team this upcoming season, if we are not top 5 now, we very well could be next off season. Of coarse we are in danger of losing some of our top prospects to graduation, even if they are in the under 20 category.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I think we're easily top 5 forward prospects, possibly top 3. Depending on whether you rank Zacha as a prospect or not.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
He was also playing out of position a lot of the year, the Steelheads had him at C rather than RW.

I agree his stock has dropped, but he's still a good prospect.

It might currently be out of position for him but I remember reading a quote from him where the Devils want him to play C in the bigs. Still, learning a new position in the fly couldn't have been easy. I'd imagine wing-to-center is much more difficult than center-to-wing

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Bastian for me because of his combination of size and skill. His down year offensively doesn't worry me in the least and I also believe he's one of our more sure things prospect wise when it comes to making it in the NHL. Even if he only projects as a bottom 6 guy.

I think he's a solid bet for a bottom6 forward spot. Other than that who knows. Some other forwards probably have more upside but also have higher bust potential.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Bastian, add Jocktan.

If Bastian bounces back this season in Binghamton, he'll jump up a few spots, but his drop was warranted. Hopefully he'll pull a Quenneville.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I think definitely top10. With our lack of defensive prospects I can't see the Devils top5. If we had 1 or 2, you could argue the Devils are now as good as anyone besides Philly.

so grossly jealous of philly's pipeline

patrick, allison, rubtsov, konecny (if you want to count him), lindblom
frost, provorov, sanheim, morin, hagg
hart, sandstrom

they've done well the last 4 offseasons

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh

hart, sandstrom

They've done a fantastic job drafting. Patrick fell into their laps out of luck, same with Hischier for us but they've done a solid job in general.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

hart, sandstrom

Yeah, they've done well...hopefully they find a way to screw it up though.

At least the Rangers appear to be on the decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad