Prospect Info: 2017 HF Devils Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #13

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I'm going straight eye test and picking Gignac. He is going to put it together this year or next at the pro level. He will be top 10 by Christmas.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
nate has fallen so far

i'm good with that, i'd rather keep expectations low. i get the feeling that he's going to be associated with mcleod for a long time as it is, and he's going to need more time in the oven.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Personally every time I saw the Steelheads play I found myself wanting to be impressed with Bastian but always walking away wanting more. Not to say he's a lost cause or anything but I just rate others a bit higher. For this poll I really considered Gignac and Zetterlund but I just like Zetterlund's shot and playstyle a little more.

Last edited:

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Personally every I saw the Steelheads play I found myself wanting to be impressed with Bastian but always walking away wanting more. Not to say he's a lost cause or anything but I just rate others a bit higher. For this poll I really considered Gignac and Zetterlund but I just like Zetterlund's shot and playstyle a little more.

That is kind of how I felt every time I watched him. He will make a good play here and there but really I would never have guessed this guy was a 2nd round pick without knowing anything about him. He just leaves a lot to be desired. He doesn't really have a high ceiling and potential that some of these other guys have

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
walsh's shooting up confuses me right now. love him, but confused. nate has fallen so far

Nate just helped lead missy to the finals of what is often called the best development league in the world. Whereas Walsh played for a high school(?) team and had an uninspiring stint in USHL. walsh seems somewhat undersized to be a top prospect at defence in the NHL. Maybe someone can better explain the love for him. I would even take White over this guy right now. Sounds way like shiney new toy syndrome.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Being 6th in playoff scoring on your team following sub-par point production in the regular season isn't really that impressive especially for someone in their draft+1 year as a second round pick. He's also an early birthday for his draft year as well. Not to say he won't recover or can't be an NHL player but it's pretty easy to see why he hasn't got that many votes. It's not recency bias if a guy like Popugaev has a season like that next year he'll probably fall in people opinions too.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
to be fair to Rykov, he's already playing in a men's league, and has shown he can hold his own

Rykov is a fine prospect, I just think his impressive WJC combined with our urgent need for LHD make people value him higher than they normally would.

I would have had him at 7-8 so I suppose 6 isn't really that big of a deal. IMO he should be behind both Anderson and Boqvist.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Being 6th in playoff scoring on your team following sub-par point production in the regular season isn't really that impressive especially for someone in their draft+1 year as a second round pick. He's also an early birthday for his draft year as well. Not to say he won't recover or can't be an NHL player but it's pretty easy to see why he hasn't got that many votes. It's not recency bias if a guy like Popugaev has a season like that next year he'll probably fall in people opinions too.

Not sure I've seen a single clip of Walsh from HS last year. That high school stuff is usually pretty pedestrian anyway. The one goal Walsh scored at the scrimmage was on a play that was all Nate. Lets say perhaps Walsh did have a successful college career. He would certainly become a free agent and likely sign elsewhere? Should this not push him down farther?
These polls are somewhat silly but fun I guess. I still can't believe the rough ride Wood was given. He has already played more NHL games that 90% of the prospects probably will :sarcasm:

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I'm not defending Walsh in that way. I have barely seen these guys that are left on the list play. It's just not so unreasonable that a player drafted in the 3rd round in 2017 to be viewed better by fans than a guy drafted in the 2nd round in 2016 who had a subpar d+1 year. Zetterlund has barely got any votes so far and he was drafted ahead of Walsh and Pop. Can you claim bias there? People have different preferences. It's just a fan list and at this point there is really no right answer because none of the guys left are sure fire NHLers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->