2017 Football Thread III: End of an Eli

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Heavy sigh

Each week that passes, I believe more and more that no matter what, the Giants will be taking a QB with their pick. I maintain this is not a terrible decision, but it would've been nice to get some good looks at Davis and see if he's got it. Not every day you get a top-3/5 pick.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Heavy sigh

Each week that passes, I believe more and more that no matter what, the Giants will be taking a QB with their pick. I maintain this is not a terrible decision, but it would've been nice to get some good looks at Davis and see if he's got it. Not every day you get a top-3/5 pick.

It would be quite ironic if they were to take Mayfield and see him and Webb battle it out once again.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Giants should be poised for a rather quick turn around once they get healthy and get a good draft pick this year

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I expect they’ll probably end up 3rd. I would be amazed if they drop both of these remaining games and the Colts aren’t winning another one

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The Pats just won the superbowl again. Another Jets like end zone call goes in their favor. Steelers choked it away...at home.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It’s really not this year though. Prior years it’s been a complete laughing stock

It’s terrible. You guys have just gotten by somehow. The rest of your defense is fine, which is why it masks the fact that your DBs can’t stop a slant to save their life. Good front line and good LBs can mask a garbage secondary.

When the 2017 Eli Manning torches your secondary for over 400 yards, it’s an issue. :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Pats just won the superbowl again. Another Jets like end zone call goes in their favor. Steelers choked it away...at home.
That was frustrating. The right call, but frustrating. Cost me a net of 7 points in a fantasy game I'm losing by 8. I have Devonta Freeman tonight hoping to win it and move onto the finals. I'd already be there if I stuck with my gut and flexed Crabtree instead of Burkhead.

Reactions: bl02

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It’s terrible. You guys have just gotten by somehow. The rest of your defense is fine, which is why it masks the fact that your DBs can’t stop a slant to save their life. Good front line and good LBs can mask a garbage secondary.

When the 2017 Eli Manning torches your secondary for over 400 yards, it’s an issue. :laugh:
I mean if you’re going to use yesterday’s game as your arbiter for evaluating them, then sure. That was Schwartz’s worst-coached game all season with how he gave the Giants WR 7 yards of cushion every single play.

Overall for the entire season, I’d say they’ve been league average, which is obviously a huge improvement from the burnt toast years led by Bradley Fletcher. Robinson has been a really solid depth signing, the Darby trade will work out in the long run, and they drafted Douglas (who I know you like) and still have Sidney Jones in the pipeline. They get an obvious boost from their d-line’s ability to pressure the qb, but when you look at the overall numbers, they’re really not that bad as a group. The biggest knock I’d say is the inability to get interceptions.

Props to Eli though. Dude is smart and took advantage every time it was open to him.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I mean if you’re going to use yesterday’s game as your arbiter for evaluating them, then sure. That was Schwartz’s worst-coached game all season with how he gave the Giants WR 7 yards of cushion every single play.

Overall for the entire season, I’d say they’ve been league average, which is obviously a huge improvement from the burnt toast years led by Bradley Fletcher. Robinson has been a really solid depth signing, the Darby trade will work out in the long run, and they drafted Douglas (who I know you like) and still have Sidney Jones in the pipeline. They get an obvious boost from their d-line’s ability to pressure the qb, but when you look at the overall numbers, they’re really not that bad as a group. The biggest knock I’d say is the inability to get interceptions.

Props to Eli though. Dude is smart and took advantage every time it was open to him.

I'm just being honest, man. I have seen about 1/2 of the Eagles games this year and I have never once walked away impressed with the secondary. I think the deficiencies of it are completely masked by a great line and a solid linebacking group. If they are only "league average" while getting great play out of their line and backers, that's not a good sign.

You guys are 22nd in pass yards per game and 1st in rush yards per game. I think the numbers basically agree with my assessment. Awesome group of DL and LB and a really sketchy secondary. If you can stop the DL, you beat the Eagles.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm just being honest, man. I have seen about 1/2 of the Eagles games this year and I have never once walked away impressed with the secondary. I think the deficiencies of it are completely masked by a great line and a solid linebacking group. If they are only "league average" while getting great play out of their line and backers, that's not a good sign.

You guys are 22nd in pass yards per game and 1st in rush yards per game. I think the numbers basically agree with my assessment. Awesome group of DL and LB and a really sketchy secondary. If you can stop the DL, you beat the Eagles.
I guess we’ll just agree to disagree on this topic. A lot of those yards are inflated because they’ve spent some of the longest time leading in games this season. And for what it’s worth, I 100% agree thar they get propped up by a great d line, but I’m still sticking to my original assessment that this group is right around league average, if not slightly better. Douglas has been one of the best rookie CBs, and Robinson has been a great value guy. I’m iffy on Mills, but tend to like him overall. I love Jenkins and McLeod at S.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad