2017 Football Thread III: End of an Eli

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
You basically said the Browns would buy him over everyone. The Jets are a worse team than the Vikings and the Browns significantly worse than both. The idea that the Browns were ever a contender him died very early on.

He IS passing on money. He’s trying to win. Which is why he surely wouldn’t go to Cleveland.
You're putting words in my keyboard. I never said he'd go to the Browns over the Vikings, I said the Browns should go after him and take Barkley #1. I did say he's better off in Cleveland than the Jets because the Jets have not improved the team while, the Browns, at least in theory, would have a better chance than the Jets to be competitive with Cousins and all their draft picks (plus the division will be crap). Browns have a decent core of young players as well with their prior picks and recent signings. Tyrod Taylor will have much better targets than McCown. Meanwhile the Jets finally have a decent TE and a ton of cap space but at least for now are unwilling to spend any of it on him.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
At the current time, what would you say is 90 cents on the dollar for OBJ?
Trading OBJ while drafting a QB at #2 is beyond stupid. It might make you feel better about the character of your team but he is an irreplaceable talent and the Giants will be worse for it for the next 5+ years. That said, the Giants offense over the past 2 years stunk even with him but was much much worse without him.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Trading OBJ while drafting a QB at #2 is beyond stupid. It might make you feel better about the character of your team but he is an irreplaceable talent and the Giants will be worse for it for the next 5+ years. That said, the Giants offense over the past 2 years stunk even with him but was much much worse without him.

I'd trade him ONLY if it was like Herschel Walker/Glen Wesley level five first round picks. Still, it's going to be interesting to see how Gettleman/Shurmur deal with his potential shenanigans.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Two 1st round picks (2018 and 2019), a 2018 2nd round pick, and a 2019 2nd round pick. That is the bare minimum I would want for him.
Is there any comparable to trading a guy like OBJ? Because Landry just went for squat, obviously the value for OBJ should be higher than Landry, but what you're requesting is significantly higher.

And I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'd want a ransom for OBJ, too, if the Giants are stupid enough to trade him. I'm just curious what would realistically be the return.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Is there any comparable to trading a guy like OBJ? Because Landry just went for squat, obviously the value for OBJ should be higher than Landry, but what you're requesting is significantly higher.

And I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'd want a ransom for OBJ, too, if the Giants are stupid enough to trade him. I'm just curious what would realistically be the return.

Because OBJ is an exponentially better talent. The gap between OBJ and Landry is about the width of the country from NY to California.

Landry is a decent WR. A really nice complimentary piece or a low-end top guy (he's basically ONLY a slot player). OBJ is a generational talent. Landry has played 17 more games than OBJ yet OBJ has 16 more TDs and 400 more yards.

It's just astounding how good OBJ is. His level of play is legitimately mindblowing.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Mathieu isn't happening with Collins needing a raise next year and limited cap space right now.

I would love Mathieu in Bettcher's defense though. He's so versatile and athletic.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Jets brought back Mo Claiborne for a year. Secondary will be pretty good. Now they need some pass rush.

Also replaced Catanzaro with Santos. If Santos is healthy that's probably a small upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad