2017 Football Thread III: End of an Eli

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Every week in DFS it seems like my big ticket guys f*** me over. Brady, Cooks, Thielen... thanks for nothing today. Meanwhile, I nail the budget guys. Shoutouts to Cameron Brate and Kenyan Drake. So frustrating. Every damn week.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Man, it is painfully obvious that a mobile QB is an absolute must in the NFL right now. Say what you want about Geno (and I think it's safe to say that he's not really our future), but the fact that he can actually escape from a pass rusher is refreshing.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Man, it is painfully obvious that a mobile QB is an absolute must in the NFL right now. Say what you want about Geno (and I think it's safe to say that he's not really our future), but the fact that he can actually escape from a pass rusher is refreshing.
Definitely doesn't hurt. But also doesn't hurt to keep guys out of the backfield altogether. Mack is clowning the O-Line so far today.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Is that sack/fumble Geno's fault or Flowers' fault? :naughty:

Geno. How could it be Flowers? They lined up two speed rushers on him and he stopped one cold. Dude can't stop two guys.

They didn't line up a chip block next to him, so I'd put it more on coaching than anyone. If we want to blame a player, it's Geno for holding onto the ball too long.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Definitely doesn't hurt. But also doesn't hurt to keep guys out of the backfield altogether. Mack is clowning the O-Line so far today.

No, it's a must. Have you seen how bad NCAA offensive linemen are these days? There is a huge talk of talent in that realm right now. It's a major issue for teams going forward, too. The game is all about speed right now. Just like the NHL. NCAA schools haven't been able to adapt to that yet with their offensive linemen.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Geno. How could it be Flowers? They lined up two speed rushers on him and he stopped one cold. Dude can't stop two guys.

They didn't line up a chip block next to him, so I'd put it more on coaching than anyone. If we want to blame a player, it's Geno for holding onto the ball too long.
It was tongue in cheek because there are some people who if Eli was in the game would blame it on Eli and if not Eli was in the game would blame it on Flowers.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It was tongue in cheek because there are some people who if Eli was in the game would blame it on Eli and if not Eli was in the game would blame it on Flowers.

It's funny because there were two prior plays that would've resulted in a probably strip sack on Manning that Geno got out of. Just shows you why the mobile nature is so vital. Darnold would provide that. So would Mayfield.

One fundamental thing that Geno does that Manning does not is move up in the pocket naturally to move guys behind him. It buys you about 3/4 of a second or so.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Are you serious???? He was only the 4th coach in Giants history to make the playoffs in his first year.

When did "a while" begin? After the win in Washington that gave them an 11-5 record?

Nobody wanted this guy fired in August.

I can link at least a dozen pro-McAdoo articles from the beat writers after the Washington win. Hell, even Mike Francesa was lauding him the day after the win.

Defense imploding in two straight late drives was the difference between this team being 0-4 and 2-2. No coach survives a season with an entire WR corps getting injured and one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

McAdoo has a horrible persona and is far from an expert tactician or motivator but he is just part of the problem.

I didn't want the guy fired in August, but I wasn't on his bandwagon last year either. Anyone paying close attention to the Giants last year realized they were the luckiest 11-5 team in NFL history. They played a joke of a schedule, won a bunch of close games with their D, or when OBJ bailed them out (ravens game anyone?).

The head coach (whom I refuse to type his name) was not the reason they won 11 games. They had a top 10 defense playing like a top-5 defense at the end of the year which masked all the issues on the other side of the ball. The HC inherited a top 10 offense from 2015 & turned them into a bottom 10 offense that could barely get out of their own way. They went the last 6 games of 2016 without scoring 20 points in a game & barely avg 15 points a game this year.

He was a lazy hire by Mara & he's been smug since he got the job. He suffers from the same syndrome Josh McDaniels & Eric Mangini did. They all acted like they could treat their players & the media like Belichick, after winning exactly nothing.

What happened this week was the icing on the cake for most Giants fans, but make no mistake, he wasn't keeping his job based on his horrible game plans & predictable playcalling. Last year he was fortunate that the team stayed relatively healthy & the defense carried them into the playoffs.

Reactions: belford222

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So, I think the game showed you a few things.

1) Geno Smith is a NFL player, but he's not our future starting QB.
2) That Geno Smith, about as rusty as a player could possibly be, outperformed Eli Manning says a lot. It says that Eli clearly is not the future if we can get the same or better play for 1/10th of the cost.
3) Rosas deserves some more looks as a kicker for sure. Kid has a leg.
4) The defense is still really f***ing good when they aren't gassed.

And the most important thing:

5) We have to draft a mobile QB. It's a must.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
10 losses by week 13. What a time we live in right now.

It couldn't have been worse than that asteroid collision, piss-trough fire that was the Thanksgiving game against Washington. Geno's Myth was actually okay.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't see how he "outperformed" Eli at all. His mobility was a breath of fresh air, but most of his passes were off the mark, threw behind receivers a bunch. Threw only the one airmail pass that Engram went HAM on, got bailed out by a lot of YAC and some great catches. Penalties also kept some drives alive.

He played well enough, but to say that he "outperformed" Eli is a bit much, IMO.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Whatever, yo. Niners won and Big Blue lost.
I didn't want the guy fired in August, but I wasn't on his bandwagon last year either. Anyone paying close attention to the Giants last year realized they were the luckiest 11-5 team in NFL history. They played a joke of a schedule, won a bunch of close games with their D, or when OBJ bailed them out (ravens game anyone?).

The head coach (whom I refuse to type his name) was not the reason they won 11 games. They had a top 10 defense playing like a top-5 defense at the end of the year which masked all the issues on the other side of the ball. The HC inherited a top 10 offense from 2015 & turned them into a bottom 10 offense that could barely get out of their own way. They went the last 6 games of 2016 without scoring 20 points in a game & barely avg 15 points a game this year.

He was a lazy hire by Mara & he's been smug since he got the job. He suffers from the same syndrome Josh McDaniels & Eric Mangini did. They all acted like they could treat their players & the media like Belichick, after winning exactly nothing.

What happened this week was the icing on the cake for most Giants fans, but make no mistake, he wasn't keeping his job based on his horrible game plans & predictable playcalling. Last year he was fortunate that the team stayed relatively healthy & the defense carried them into the playoffs.

True or not, he was 11-5 in his first year as a head coach and went to the playoffs. Better rosters with better coaches have fared far worse.

In the NFL more than any other sport, wins and losses are how you are judged as a head coach. When McAdoo's first two years are assessed, most around the league will probably view this season as the perfect storm rather than a predictable outcome.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, saw this collapse coming. I think McAdoo will coach again in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad