NHL Entry Draft 2017 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Find it a bit hard to imagine Robertson falling as far as 30 (Mckenzie's ranking). He's one of the younger players in the draft, has a huge offensive skillset and good size. Imagine some team will take a flier on him a fair bit earlier. Big scoring winger in a weak draft.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Find it a bit hard to imagine Robertson falling as far as 30 (Mckenzie's ranking). He's one of the younger players in the draft, has a huge offensive skillset and good size. Imagine some team will take a flier on him a fair bit earlier. Big scoring winger in a weak draft.

Skating issues or he'd be higher I see him as a late first prospect, so it will depend.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Button has us taking Oettenger

Alot of people have us taking him.. and I mean alot.. It makes alot of sense.. But if we don't pick him Dallas does, so theres really no moving down to get him. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make it to our pick.. I think Arizona at 23 takes a longg hard look at him, St Louis and Chicago should too.

So if he really is our guy, Dorion may try and work the phones to move up.. Which will of course send half the fan base into a complete rage..

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Alot of people have us taking him.. and I mean alot.. It makes alot of sense.. But if we don't pick him Dallas does, so theres really no moving down to get him. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make it to our pick.. I think Arizona at 23 takes a longg hard look at him, St Louis and Chicago should too.

So if he really is our guy, Dorion may try and work the phones to move up.. Which will of course send half the fan base into a complete rage..

I look at it like it would be cool if he was there at 28 and the Sens really want him a lot more than any other goalie. If hes not there take the next one on the list with the 2nd. I would not bend over backwards for him

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
If Oettinger is gone at 28, barring any other moves I'd probably take Jokiharju(sp? I'm not looking it up right now) there. Then look hard at whether I want one of the other two goalies at the second spot. I'm not sure they're blue chip enough to take over some of the home run swings likely available at that second spot, or even a 'safer' defense pick ... Think it'd depend on which other players are available.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

If Vegas has two or three first run picks after tomorrow's expansion draft, they just might take a goalie of the future with one of those late 1st rd picks. It wouldn't surprise me if LV comes away from tomorrows draft with at least three first round picks if not more & maybe even Ottawa's & they take Oettinger with our pick. :shakehead

But somehow I doubt PD gives up our first to keep Methot, I think whoever LV takes PD will move on from there & look to replace him internally & then see where the team is after a few months. At that point it would make sense to make a deal if whoever they have assigned to replace Methot hasn't been able to, they may even wait until the trade deadline. We all know they have defencemen who are NHL ready but there will be growing pains. We saw a number of young guys step in the playoffs so why wouldn't they let them play in the regular season when there is much more time to make up for it. Should be another interesting day tomorrow.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Rather than try to project a guy that is available at our late draft position, I'd rather they just take the inevitable mysterious faller. I sometimes feel like teams come prepared with their list and then once a guy starts falling teams are afraid to take him, either because other teams passed or they didn't scout him enough.

If a guy falls on draft day I would take him. If a guy falls in his draft year (unless it was injury related), I would probably avoid him.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Under appreciated young players

Looking at a bunch of the rankings and draft guides, in addition to a stats based ranking that adjusts for different leagues and ages. Here is a list of six players who I believe are being underrated because of their birthdays being later in the year, AND are ranked in the range of our two picks.

Jason Robertson (July 22nd, 1999) – LW – Stats Ranking (F): 6 – Bob Mc Ranking: 30

Nick Henry (July 4th, 1999) – RW – Stats Ranking (F): 12 – Bob Mc Ranking: 73

Jaret-Anderson-Dolan (September 9th, 1999) – C – Stats Ranking (F): 15 – Bob Mc Ranking: 36

Erik Brannstrom (September 2nd, 1999) – D – Stats Ranking (D): 1 – Bob Mc Ranking: 29

Josh Brook (June 17, 1999) – D – Stats Ranking (D): 17 – Bob Mc Ranking: 47

Pierre-Olivier Joseph (July 1st, 1999) – D – Stats Ranking (D): 21 – Bob Mc Ranking: 33

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Looking at a bunch of the rankings and draft guides, in addition to a stats based ranking that adjusts for different leagues and ages. Here is a list of six players who I believe are being underrated because of their birthdays being later in the year, AND are ranked in the range of our two picks.

Jason Robertson (July 22nd, 1999) – LW – Stats Ranking (F): 6 – Bob Mc Ranking: 30

Jaret-Anderson-Dolan (September 9th, 1999) – C – Stats Ranking (F): 15 – Bob Mc Ranking: 36

Erik Brannstrom (September 2nd, 1999) – D – Stats Ranking (D): 1 – Bob Mc Ranking: 29

Pierre-Olivier Joseph (July 1st, 1999) – D – Stats Ranking (D): 21 – Bob Mc Ranking: 33
Not sure what "stats rating" means but I think you are right about Robinson. His team struggled to score, he had an insane # of points on a % of his teams goals.

He got a point on 45% of his teams goals. Insane number. He also scored 23% of his teams goals. He is a gifted goal scorer and an underrated playmaker.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I think we should consider trading up to select Brannstrom.

I cannot begin to explain how high I am on Erik Brannstrom. He is one of the best skaters in the draft, has high hockey IQ, amazing first pass ability. The only thing that holds him back is size, if he was 6'0 he would be going #1, I have no doubt about it.
He is also one of the youngest players eligible for the draft and is still growing. He doesn't turn 18 till September 7th!!!!
I know the Karlsson comparisons get thrown around but I believe he is the next Karlsson.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I think we should consider trading up to select Brannstrom.

I cannot begin to explain how high I am on Erik Brannstrom. He is one of the best skaters in the draft, has high hockey IQ, amazing first pass ability. The only thing that holds him back is size, if he was 6'0 he would be going #1, I have no doubt about it.
He is also one of the youngest players eligible for the draft and is still growing. He doesn't turn 18 till September 7th!!!!
I know the Karlsson comparisons get thrown around but I believe he is the next Karlsson.

Might not even be necessary to trade up to grab him.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Might not even be necessary to trade up to grab him.

i don't think he makes it to 30. teams are smartening up and realizing that size is overrated.

I would move up for him. He might be the most skilled player in the draft.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Anderson Dolan always becomes a star in NHL 16. I say we draft him

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
With so few picks in the draft, I would anticipate the Sens taking a 'safer' player than Brannstrom. I like him, and he'd be my pick if he were available, but I'd be surprised if they went that route. I'd avoid Oettinger for the same reasons, but I'm not sure how the Sens themselves feel about him.

This might actually be a year where it makes sense for us to move back and collect a few more picks. There's probably no functional difference between picking 28 and, say, 36 so if you can restock a little bit it might be worth it. We only have 4 picks this year, we've already traded next year's 2nd rounder and the guy we drafted in the 2nd round in 2015 - don't want to risk getting too thin.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Sounds like we won't be looking at a goalie with the first two picks, Dorion saying they'll try to get one in the mid rounds. Also said they would be making safe picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad