2017 Draft - 4th Pick: Ostap Safin (03/06/18: Signed to ELC)

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
I would have been pretty excited with it if it had of been a year sooner.

Saint John isn't going to be very good this season. They're losing their starting goalie and likely 11 of their top 12 scorers.

I think he'd be better off staying in Europe.

I would say the opposite. IMO development in junior hockey is all about ice time. Last year, he would have been on a 4th line playing less than 15 minutes a game. By the end of this season, he'll be playing low to mid-20's. The coaching staff here is top-notch, and the team's track record for developing pros is pretty impressive. Wins are going to be hard to come by for this team, but ice time for Safin won't be.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I'm excited to hear that he's going to Saint John. It would have been nice to be able to watch him out west, but Saint John has great coaches and Joe Veleno is a pretty special player.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
On a side note, the brilliant Saskatoon Blades passed with their Euro Draft selection... must have better players in house. OMG the Blades could possibly be the worst franchise ever in the history of sports. Have never so much as won a WHL title nevermind made a sound in the Mem Cup... So insignificant and they gripe about crowds... then pass on the opportunity to get a solid young player.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
On a side note, the brilliant Saskatoon Blades passed with their Euro Draft selection... must have better players in house. OMG the Blades could possibly be the worst franchise ever in the history of sports. Have never so much as won a WHL title nevermind made a sound in the Mem Cup... So insignificant and they gripe about crowds... then pass on the opportunity to get a solid young player.

Yeah, they're a strange franchise. Friends of mine in Saskatoon are huge hockey fans, but haven't been to a game since the Mem Cup.

How the Hell is Dan Tencer qualified to be their Head Scout?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they already have their two import slots filled with Libor Hajek and Mark Rubinchik, unless Rubinchik isn't planning on coming back...?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why not OilKings?

Could Edmonton not have traded up with one of these teams passing on prospects and snatched him? Not sure if trades are allowed.

Liljegren went right after Edmonton's pick... we should have drafted him and messed with his development just to spite TML fans :)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Outstanding news today.

Saint John is a great junior program.

I was hoping Stan Butler would've drafted him. He would've turned him into a 200 foot beast. :laugh:

If he gets Chytil to report, they'll be an interesting team this year though.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they already have their two import slots filled with Libor Hajek and Mark Rubinchik, unless Rubinchik isn't planning on coming back...?

Zags you could be right... I thought Rubinchik was gone this year but I won't lie, don't follow the inner workings of the team that close anymore. We'll watch Midget AAA or UofS hockey before I pay thru the nose to sit with 3000 other fans in a 15000 seat arena... horrid franchise.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why not OilKings?

Could Edmonton not have traded up with one of these teams passing on prospects and snatched him? Not sure if trades are allowed.

Liljegren went right after Edmonton's pick... we should have drafted him and messed with his development just to spite TML fans :)

I like the guy the Oil Kings picked actually. Lots of talent.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why not OilKings?

Liljegren was picked just to keep him away from London.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Ostap Safin was named to the first U20 camp/tournament of the season. Probably has a good chance of making the Czech WJC team.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
Ostap Safin was named to the first U20 camp/tournament of the season. Probably has a good chance of making the Czech WJC team.

I'd guess leverage to try and keep him from going to the CHL.

"Stay in the Czech Republic, you can make the WJHC team. Go across the ocean, we cross your name off."

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

"Stay in the Czech Republic, you can make the WJHC team. Go across the ocean, we cross your name off."

Huh?

They have a lot of CHL players listed. The Czechs aren't really like the Russians and Americans in that way. They'll take the best players that they have available.

Safin is going to Saint John and will likely make the WJC team.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

In what world does this make sense to you? When have countries like the Czech Republic passed up on good young players for the WJC team? They need all the help they can get. He will play in NA and play at the WJC team, just like mostly every other foreign hockey player that plays here..

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
Huh?

They have a lot of CHL players listed. The Czechs aren't really like the Russians and Americans in that way. They'll take the best players that they have available.

Safin is going to Saint John and will likely make the WJC team.

Wouldn't be the first time. Heck, it wouldn't even be the first time with a Czech player playing for the Sea Dogs. I know it's normally not an issue, but it's happened in the past to one guy in SJ and another in Moncton, that I know of.

I know SJ normally has their Euros on lock, but there's been no word here yet about an official signing.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray

I just realized that the dude who was behind the "**** Edmontonians Say" and used to be a car salesman at Norden is the the Blades ****ing co-owner/GM. WHAT IN THE HELL.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So proud of my team here in Niagara for doing that. So sick of how the league continues to allow London to operate.

To be fair, London does a fine job of developing young players. I rather talents go there than to a talent graveyard like the Oil Kings

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Ostap Sapin - 4th round in 2017 at 115 - I had him at 33. Based on last night, he should have been at least mid-first. He was a man amongst boys - huge (listed at 6'5 but he looks more like 7'0 compared to the others), excellent skater, great shot and a good passer. But what I liked best was that he competed till the final buzzer in not a close game (Halifax 4, Saint John 1). He ended up with just one assist but should have had more. He missed on a penalty shot. So why was he available to the Oilers in the 4th round - the answer being his mental game was no where close to his physical game last year - issues of compete, concentration and consistency. Nice to see that those issues did not crop up last night - granted, only one game; still nice to see.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ostap Sapin - 4th round in 2017 at 115 - I had him at 33. Based on last night, he should have been at least mid-first. He was a man amongst boys - huge (listed at 6'5 but he looks more like 7'0 compared to the others), excellent skater, great shot and a good passer. But what I liked best was that he competed till the final buzzer in not a close game (Halifax 4, Saint John 1). He ended up with just one assist but should have had more. He missed on a penalty shot. So why was he available to the Oilers in the 4th round - the answer being his mental game was no where close to his physical game last year - issues of compete, concentration and consistency. Nice to see that those issues did not crop up last night - granted, only one game; still nice to see.

Those issue you talk about were certainly there at times in the rookie games with the Oilers, but theres no denying this kids got great skills. As you mentioned he's a great skater with size, a wicked shot, great hands (albeit somewhat inconsistent likely due to him growing into that massive lanky frame). Looked fantastic in the highlights I saw from that game. Definitely a boom/bust prospect imo, but given his skill set he's definitely worth the risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->