2017 Draft - 4th Pick: Ostap Safin (03/06/18: Signed to ELC)

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
Quite the glowing comment.

Wow. He has Safin ranked at 21, seems like a huge fan of this kid.

No idea who this poster is, but he sounds knowledgeable :laugh:

But honestly, going into the draft I was a huge fan of Safin. I was hoping we would pick up a 2nd round pick to draft him, can't believe he fell to us.

Yamamoto and Safin make me absolutely thrilled about this draft, I've always like Skinner as well

Babula

May 31, 2012
I can not wait with the question about, what do you think Osťa will play for "who" this upcoming season ???

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I can not wait with the question about, what do you think Osťa will play for "who" this upcoming season ???

Eliteprospects has him with Sparta Praha in the Czech league next season.

I would love to see him in the CHL though. Have to think there's plenty of teams that would take him. Regina might be a good one. They're hosting the Memorial Cup and I believe both their import slots are open next season with Zborovsky and Ahl moving on.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Eliteprospects has him with Sparta Praha in the Czech league next season.

I would love to see him in the CHL though. Have to think there's plenty of teams that would take him. Regina might be a good one. They're hosting the Memorial Cup and I believe both their import slots are open next season with Zborovsky and Ahl moving on.

He said he's waiting for the CHL import draft (this coming Wednesday) before he decides where he will play next year.

If he's drafted in a good situation, he'll play in North America.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Based on what I could find on the Internet sounds like he's the type that will complicate McDavid. Whereas Yamamoto skillset will fit with Drai

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
I want to see a Safin-McDavid-Pulju line now.

If JP and Safin develop into the players that I think they can, that line would absolutely wreck the league.

Safin-Mcdavid-Puljijarvi
______-Draisaitl-Yamamoto

I have to keep reminding myself that the 3 of them are still prospects :laugh:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I want to see a Safin-McDavid-Pulju line now.

Yeah me too. Pulju as the energetic puckhound, McDavid as the playmaker and Safin as the finisher. The size, speed and skill of that line :amazed:

Was going to come here and post this. Really excited about this pick, have you followed him much Zaddy? I know you're usually up on the prospects more than most.

Not really no. He's credited with 23 international u18 games, and I must've watched at least 2-3 of those international tournaments but I don't think I have any notes on him whatsoever. I don't really know why haha. Guess he didn't stand out much, and I never keyed in on him in those tournaments either. The guys that I paid the most attention to and stood out to me when I watched the Czech team was always Necas (went 12th), Chytil (went 21st), Kvasnicka (undrafted, undersized offensive d-man) and Zadina (2018 top prospect).

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
Reminds me of Penner- same sort of fine touch in-close and a surprisingly heads-up playmaker for a north-south winger.

I appreciate your opinion, but I don't think he plays like Dustin at all(who lives 20 min away from me, so I followed him closely throughout the years)

Safin can absolutely fly for a big kid, Dustin could never skate like him even in his prime

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Is there anyone in the league that we could potentially compare Safin to?

Was doing some digging and danslabande.com listed Jeff Carter as his comparable.(french site?)

That's kind of a stretch IMO since Carter has such a nice release/shot. It's hard to compare Safin to Carter based on their playstyle altogether. Carter being an elite sniper back in his Philly days. While I haven't seen much of Safin just based on the youtube clips, he plays a physical game with quick hands in tight and attacks on transition.

He's a like a poor man's Marian Hossa to me. Does anyone else see that?

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
Sea Dogs have had a very good record with developing European players. I'm excited to see an Oilers prospect every day for the next year or two. The Dogs were a pretty old team last year, with tons of 19 and 20 year-olds in important spots. He probably slots as the 3C to start, and 2C by the end of the year. The team will probably sell at the trade deadline, so it's a great situation for younger players looking for ice time in all situations.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I would have been pretty excited with it if it had of been a year sooner.

Saint John isn't going to be very good this season. They're losing their starting goalie and likely 11 of their top 12 scorers.

I think he'd be better off staying in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad