2017 Draft - 4th Pick: Ostap Safin (03/06/18: Signed to ELC)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Wow he looks like a safe bet to pan out even if as just a 3rd liner. Very pleased to get a player like this, I wonder if he's planning on going to the KHL and if that's why he was taken so late?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Wow he looks like a safe bet to pan out even if as just a 3rd liner. Very pleased to get a player like this, I wonder if he's planning on going to the KHL and if that's why he was taken so late?

Looks like he's slated to play for Sparta Praha in the top Czech league next season.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
He's the player i'm really stoked we've drafted him. Huge kid, good hands and can hit. Saw him play (without knowing about him) in CZ last year, stood out for me and was excited to see him being draft eligible this year. Never thought it would actually happen, weeeee! :hockey:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

He's a fan of Alex Ovechkin and Jamie Benn. Guess he's molding his game after those guys.

Also said he is waiting for the CHL Import Draft to happen before he knows where he'll play next year and that he'd like to go to North America.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
He looks to be a much better skater than Zharkov did if my memory serves me correctly.

The scouting report on Zharkov's skating ability was above average.

I believe it was lack of both consistency and hockey sense that killed his development. He wasn't really committed I guess.

Zharkov was listed at 6'3 194 lbs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I believe it was lack of both consistency and hockey sense that killed his development. He wasn't really committed I guess.

Zharkov was listed at 6'3 212 lbs.

Going off of what I recall seeing from Danill. Safin can flat out move for a big man.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011

Zharkov was listed at 6'3 194 lbs.

I don't think commitment was as much an issue as the fact that the dude kept getting serious injuries. Hard to develop when you do not play.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No one should love the Oil Kings developing our prospects

Junior players: Great at junior level, help win Memorial cup, lauded for character and work ethic.

Players turn pro and struggle: 'It was all the junior organization's fault!'

Mmmkay.

Never mind all these players are 22-24 years old still.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Could end up as a huge steal. He's a big body with big skill to go along with it, but quite raw. If he can put everything together, look out!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad