2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto - Signs ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Yamamoto keeps trending up.

Now if he had played the same amount as most of his teammates (60) he would have about 102 points.

A pace of 1.7. (He doesn't have 2ppg what a bust lolol)

102 points is good for top 5 in the league.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yamamoto keeps trending up.

Now if he had played the same amount as most of his teammates (60) he would have about 102 points.

A pace of 1.7. (He doesn't have 2ppg what a bust lolol)

102 points is good for top 5 in the league.
Are the players who would be top four his age or still draft eligible?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
So all are older or his age. Nice! Thank you.

I think Yamamoto is just too smart to not cut it in the NHL. As long as he figures out how to avoid/absorb big hits, I think he could trend the same way Gaudreau did

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think Yamamoto is just too smart to not cut it in the NHL. As long as he figures out how to avoid/absorb big hits, I think he could trend the same way Gaudreau did
I think that’s a little lofty but he is a skilled player who could put up some numbers no doubt about it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm lukewarm on Yamo. I feel like he's skilled but not skilled enough to overcome his size. Too much of his points rely on effort, speed, and strength rather than puck possession and stickhandling. He has a Gallagher style as opposed to a Kane/Gaudreau style.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I'm lukewarm on Yamo. I feel like he's skilled but not skilled enough to overcome his size. Too much of his points rely on effort, speed, and strength rather than puck possession and stickhandling. He has a Gallagher style as opposed to a Kane/Gaudreau style.
This is exactly why I like him. I'd rather have a guy like this than a guy like Eberle who had great mits but no desire to work hard 100 percent of the time.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This is exactly why I like him. I'd rather have a guy like this than a guy like Eberle who had great mits but no desire to work hard 100 percent of the time.

Well Ebs never had that gamebreaking skill Gaudreau/Kane have which is why he would have benefited with alittle more effort in his game. I like Yamo's motor, but motor can only get you so far if your constantly being knocked off the puck. But I'm not writing him off, just not super excited about his prospects, he could easily prove me wrong.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The issue with small skilled guys who don't have to work hard to succeed is unless they are being sheltered for a while or are high end elite, the move to the NHL becomes extremely hard and slow. Yamamoto is a hard worker and that will allow his transition to be easier.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kailer getting that stretch of meaningful games this year should help too. He can review and see exactly what he needs to work on to be successful at the next level.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rattie hasn't proven anything. The sample size is miniscule.

Maroon is a better example, but I think even he has pretty underrated skill. He's just slow.
Even in small sample size, it's the theory behind it. Don't need a star to play with McDavid. It's not like PIT and WSH aren't doing the same thing the past few years. Get skilled players that have a head on their shoulders. Don't need the 5mil sniper.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Even in small sample size, it's the theory behind it. Don't need a star to play with McDavid. It's not like PIT and WSH aren't doing the same thing the past few years. Get skilled players that have a head on their shoulders. Don't need the 5mil sniper.

This is going in a somewhat offtopic direction, but I reject the idea that Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin don't play with highly skilled players.

Backstrom, Kuznetzov, Kessel, and Guentzel(obviously a notch below the other 3) are all for real. Yes playing with superstars makes them better but they're all really good NHL players on their own. A player like Ty Rattie is not.

Reactions: oljimmy and Aerrol

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I think Rattie has proven that we won't need a star winger for McDavid and RNH. Someone smart enough process the game is probably all we need. IMO, Kailer is that guy.

Rattie filled in for 14 games and did ok. However the season is 82 games and until he can hang on a line with McDavid for more than a couple weeks he hasn't proven any theories to be true.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Well Ebs never had that gamebreaking skill Gaudreau/Kane have which is why he would have benefited with alittle more effort in his game. I like Yamo's motor, but motor can only get you so far if your constantly being knocked off the puck. But I'm not writing him off, just not super excited about his prospects, he could easily prove me wrong.

I have him pegged as a more skilled Tyler Johnson. If anyone notices, he fashions his play style with how Johnson's is.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is going in a somewhat offtopic direction, but I reject the idea that Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin don't play with highly skilled players.

Backstrom, Kuznetzov, Kessel, and Guentzel(obviously a notch below the other 3) are all for real. Yes playing with superstars makes them better but they're all really good NHL players on their own. A player like Ty Rattie is not.
I'm not saying they are all plugs, but who was Guentzel? Who was Sheary? Who is Stephenson? Lars Eller got a jump to top line yesterday. Maybe a guy like Guentzel was destined to be a top line NHLer, but last year he was no name 2013 3rd round draft pick that started to click with one of the best in the world.

If you have RNH and Mcdavid, you shouldn't be looking to find some sort of superstar.

We lucked out and had our needle in a hay stack, but even so fans still ripped on Maroon for no real reason. Yet I really have to wonder how long he played with that herniated disk ,could be why he was having off nights for us.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rattie filled in for 14 games and did ok. However the season is 82 games and until he can hang on a line with McDavid for more than a couple weeks he hasn't proven any theories to be true.
I think what we potentially have in Rattie is a guy that can fill in if whoever they find for that top slot gets hurt or is struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad