2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto - Signs ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Bear has been the better pro so far.
I think Jones for sure has the higher ceiling and will probably be the better NHLer. Most scouts don't put much stock in a first year players performance in the first half of their AHL season, they look to see how they adjust in the second half. Don't let the numbers and the +/- fool you when Jones is on he drives offence and sets pace, Gerry Fleming has talked very highly of Bears game but even he admitted on Oilers now that he doesn't have the offensive flash Jones has. Bear acclimated to the AHL quicker, especially on the defensive side as he is more positionally sound and posses incredible hockey sense. Jones has been relying more on his athleticism and high flying skating ability and some of the things he got away with in Juniors were catching up to him. Jones vs Bear is like Nurse vs Benning from last year.
I think Jones will be the better pro.
Agree, he's already got NHL quality tools. Still can't forget a sequence at the WJC were Jones got caught pinching, Barzal jumped over the boards and he still managed to chase him down and prevent an odd man rush; the kid is a phenomenal skater.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Can't forget though, that Bear missed a whack of games because of concussion issues, and it also takes time to come back from that even you are healthy enough to play. Prior to his concussion he was putting up points at a solid rate and looked very good. Tough to compare he and Jones based on this years play alone.

Reactions: nabob

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This kid is the real deal

Let's see how is looks in the AHL next year, or the NHL I guess if he makes it. He looked over-whelmed in most of the NHL games this year, and had zero finish to his game. I will admit that he was a little better than I anticipated he would be though as a 19 year old. Yamamoto is a long, long way away from being the "scoring winger savior" that the team needs.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Let's see how is looks in the AHL next year, or the NHL I guess if he makes it. He looked over-whelmed in most of the NHL games this year, and had zero finish to his game. I will admit that he was a little better than I anticipated he would be though as a 19 year old. Yamamoto is a long, long way away from being the "scoring winger savior" that the team needs.

I thought he looked good in the NHL. I was almost convinced they would keep him up. I don't doubt he will make the team next year. I think he complements either McD or Drai very well and finds a spot in the top 6. Sadly its more a comment to how poor our top 6 is now on the wing. Replacing a Lucic, Cammy, ect isn't hard.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I actually thought that he had looked good during his time up with the club

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Agree with others that he looked progressively weaker as the season wore on, and lost his confidence. Took a while in the Dub to it back. Hopefully they don't do the usual Oiler dumb move and rush him again next year. Let's see how does with some AHL time first.

Reactions: nabob

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the young players coming up that can skate and create like yamamoto do makes the ice spread out substantially. just look at barzal in NYI. hes bombing up the points but as soon as teams focus on him the ice will open up for everyone else. its actually the value that eberle offered even when he wasn't scoring last year. I would bet Yams plays for the oilers starting day 1 next season. the only AHL time he ever sees will be the end of this season if available.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
the young players coming up that can skate and create like yamamoto do makes the ice spread out substantially. just look at barzal in NYI. hes bombing up the points but as soon as teams focus on him the ice will open up for everyone else. its actually the value that eberle offered even when he wasn't scoring last year. I would bet Yams plays for the oilers starting day 1 next season. the only AHL time he ever sees will be the end of this season if available.

I would bet so, he looks NHL ready and we need him. He is exactly what we need, some speed and skill to complement McD or Drai on the wing.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I would bet so, he looks NHL ready and we need him. He is exactly what we need, some speed and skill to complement McD or Drai on the wing.

How do you figure he looks NHL ready? Because he's piling up some points in junior? Not saying we don't need speed, but how can you possibly compare what he's doing in junior to what we hope he can do two leagues up, (and pro leagues at that) in little over a year? A rather large difference between the Dub and the NHL, I would say.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
How do you figure he looks NHL ready? Because he's piling up some points in junior? Not saying we don't need speed, but how can you possibly compare what he's doing in junior to what we hope he can do two leagues up, (and pro leagues at that) in little over a year? A rather large difference between the Dub and the NHL, I would say.

He looked decent in his 9 games plus pre season games in the NHL. Also of course piling up points implies you are NHL ready. It doesn't guarantee it, but it sure helps.

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018

Just like how Mcdavid is a long long way away from being a 15 goal scorer and a top player in the league? Lmao. Your player evals are usually always way off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senor Catface

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I actually thought that he had looked good during his time up with the club

The adavanced stats (if you're into those) showed that he was good at creating chances and good at the other team not getting scoring chances. That could be skewed by zone starts, PP time and other factors I guess.

I think having him up for 9 games was just right and something the Oilers management actually did right for once.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Long time lurker. Literally made an account because his schtick was getting tiring and someone needed to call him out.

The guy bet against Mcdavid scoring 15 goals. People shouldn't forget that. And then praising Eichel and Matthews as being better for "scoring goals"

This is definitely tough to forget.

The guy took a position so outlandish that BBO won an avatar bet. ;)

Welcome to the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad