2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto - Signs ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
He'll represent Team USA at the WJC this holiday season.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Sweet I like it.

His dad looked super pumped when the Oilers made the pick

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yamamoto has the speed and grit that Eberle never had.

Honestly I think he's going to be the steal of the draft. He is small but he's an insanely good skater, loves forechecking and being physical, and doesn't shy away from contact.

People comparing him to a guy like Eberle are out to lunch.

Hows he compare to Gallagher?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Happy we took a skilled forward. 99 points in his draft year and leading scorer on his team. Happy with this pick!

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Not who I would have taken. Hope he works out. He is tiny.

He's similar in size to johnny hockey down the road who seems to handle it, johnny is listed at 5 9 but those who play with him says there's no way he's much bigger then 5'7, the NHL used to be size and trap hockey, I think the next decade is headed towards speed and skill

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Having Thomas and Chytil going just before our pick makes me feel a little better about taking Yamamoto. Definitely preferred him over Vesalainen.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Having Thomas and Chytil going just before our pick makes me feel a little better about taking Yamamoto. Definitely preferred him over Vesalainen.
yeh cant complain... for everyone knocking his size just know that he would be going top 5 if he was a couple inches taller.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yamamoto has the speed and grit that Eberle never had.

Honestly I think he's going to be the steal of the draft. He is small but he's an insanely good skater, loves forechecking and being physical, and doesn't shy away from contact.

People comparing him to a guy like Eberle are out to lunch.

This . He will be better then Eberle with in 3 years . I said the same when comparing Draisaitl to RNH in his rookie year when he was sent down . Some fans focus on the negative instead of focusing on all the little things a players does right . Yamamoto will run circle around Eberle and will take a hit to make a play .... and he bigger then Johnny Hockey

Maroon McDavid Yamamoto
Lucic Draisaitl Puljujarvi

That is 2 solid lines with size and speed . Second line can become the 1st line when need be

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Hows he compare to Gallagher?

Not sure what he will be like in 3-4 years, but he has far better offensive instincts from the clips/games I have seen.

Not as heavy on his stick, not as good in front of the net as Gallagher. More dynamic offensively, smaller, weaker. He is faster and more creative than Gallagher.

It's funny that he grew up skating with Tyler Johnson and his mom. He is a good comparable.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Like I said in draft thread. Like 2008, many had us picking Eberle at 22 because we needed a one shot scorer. Fast forward to today and it's the same thing. As expected, oil go with a scorer.

He's probably a more better fit than Eberle. We just need a few years to wait for him to get some man strength. If we didn't have guys like Maroon Lucic and Kassian, this pick wouldn't be made. But we are now balanced.

Obviously his size is a weakness but he's got good compete. Very high skill in late first is fine with me. Easy to inject when we need to add impact player on cheap ELC in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad