Prospect Info: 2017 CFHF Prospect Rankings: #10 RUN-OFF POLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Nope he literally just called him AHL caliber in the post we are quoting.

He was playing at the level of an AHLer but I said he was a 3C because there was still two years of him playing at a better level than whatever liability we had to subject ourselves to for October/November. I never once said he was an AHLer, someone else said that. I did agree that his level of play around that time was AHL-caliber, which is different. Even Hamilton's level of play in early 2015-16 was AHL-caliber.

He took a huge step forward in the second half of the season, and I would consider him an average 2C based on where he left off in April. Easily the best hockey he's ever played to end the year.

But that doesn't mean he didn't have a solid two months of literally being a facepalm-fest. We can blame his back injury for it though.

Point, that was ignored because Monahan defenders get up in arms any time you make any statement about him that isn't glowing praise, was that players who play big minutes aren't considered inconsistent even when that's exactly what they are, and players who play small minutes' consistency is going to be question regardless of how they're playing. Consistency is just a convenient buzz word most of the time as most hockey players are not consistent. The ones that are consistent can probably be counted on one hand, and most of them have multiple Hart trophies.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Monahan was almost a healthy scratch at one point in the first half of the season; that's how bad he was playing. Only a last minute injury to someone kept him in the lineup. But he was still demoted to the fourth line to start the game, so yeah, AHL calibre was absolutely fair.

He did have a terrific second half though. Most likely, the terrible start was just a combination of that back injury, no training camp, a brand new system and the pressure of a much bigger contract to live up to.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Accidentally voted for Klimchuk without realizing Kulak was still there. For posterity, my vote should have been for Kulak.

edit: SHAME ON ME

Last edited:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Starting* 1 game on the 4th line != AHL caliber for 40 games. Had he been AHL caliber for that kind of stretch he would've been scratched.

Not to mention his game turned around mid-November. Love how some people feel the needs to completely fabricate things to try and prove their worthless opinions

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Scratched in favour of who? Horak? Granlund? Blair Jones? Any other number of players who weren't good enough for the NHL? The Flames had literally two established NHL centres that year: Backlund and Stajan. And Stajan was injured for a quarter of the season.

They're talking about this oast season aren't they?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
They're talking about this oast season aren't they?

Yeah, I read "first half of the season" and thought someone said "first season" or something, then went on a tangent because I love arguing. My bad.

I may as well weigh in on the actual argument: Monahan wasn't that bad. He certainly wasn't playing at replacement/AHL level any more than a lot of the rest of the team was. Everyone was terrible and discombobulated (excepting Baecklund and Brolik), but Monahan didn't stand out as much worse than the bulk of the rest of the team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't like putting ceilings on players. Go with the data you have (accomplishments) and not the data you think there will be in the future (perceived potential). Not that I think he's going to be a high end player. To me he's likely a David Schlemko. But putting ceilings on players in their early 20s is foolish. Anybody think Brodie or Giordano were potential top pair guys at that age?

He's 23 and the guys that become top pairing guys are the ones that get better every year. He's going to surprise some people eventually. But it's always the same crowd coming to squash down our mid-round NHL ready prospects because they struggled getting their feet wet in the toughest league in the world (which all young prospect do).

Like I said I like Kulak, always have. I'm glad he's on the Flames and I expect him to play this year. I've just never seen anything from him that jumps off the page and wows me making me think he has top 3 upside. That said, there's lots of amazing #4 and 5's and I really like Kulak's upside for us.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Yeah, I read "first half of the season" and thought someone said "first season" or something, then went on a tangent because I love arguing. My bad.

I may as well weigh in on the actual argument: Monahan wasn't that bad. He certainly wasn't playing at replacement/AHL level any more than a lot of the rest of the team was. Everyone was terrible and discombobulated (excepting Baecklund and Brolik), but Monahan didn't stand out as much worse than the bulk of the rest of the team.

Good post and props for using discombobulated, it's not used nearly enough

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Good post and props for using discombobulated, it's not used nearly enough

Thanks. I think it kind of makes up for me ranting like this earlier:

297.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad