2017 CBJ Training Camp Thread (9/16-10/5)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

-----------------------
Mod Hijack

Schedule
CAMP SCHEDULE

Thursday, September 14
6:30 a.m. - Medicals/Fitness Testing, McConnell/NWA
9 a.m.-1 p.m. - Player Media Availability, NWA

Friday, September 15 (On-Ice Testing)
8-9 a.m. - Goalies On Ice (Ice Haus)
8-9:15 a.m. - Group 4 On Ice Testing (NWA)
10:15-11:30 a.m. - Group 3 On Ice Testing (NWA)
12:30-1:45 p.m. - Group 2 On Ice Testing (NWA)
2:45-4 p.m. - Group 1 On Ice Testing (NWA)

Saturday, September 16
9-10 a.m. - Team 1 vs. Team 4 (IH)
10-11 a.m. - Team 1 Off Ice, Team 4 On Ice (IH)
11 a.m.-12 p.m. - Team 1 On Ice (IH), Team 4 Off Ice
1-2 p.m. - Team 2 vs. Team 3 (NWA)
2-3 p.m. - Team 2 Off Ice, Team 3 On Ice (NWA)
3-4 p.m. - Team 2 On Ice (NWA), Team 3 Off Ice

Sunday, September 17
9-10 a.m. - Team 3 vs. Team 1 (NWA)
10-11 a.m. - Team 3 Off Ice, Team 1 On Ice (NWA)
11 a.m.-12 p.m. - Team 3 On Ice (NWA), Team 1 Off Ice
1-2 p.m. - Team 4 vs. Team 2 (NWA)
2-3 p.m. - Team 4 Off Ice, Team 2 On Ice (NWA)
3-4 p.m. - Team 4 On Ice (NWA), Team 2 Off Ice

Monday, September 18
9-10 a.m. - Team 1 vs. Team 2 (NWA)
10-11 a.m. - Team 1 Off Ice, Team 2 On Ice (NWA)
11 a.m.-12 p.m. - Team 1 On Ice (NWA), Team 2 Off Ice
1-2 p.m. - Team 3 vs. Team 4 (NWA)
2-3 p.m. - Team 3 Off Ice, Team 4 On Ice (NWA)
3-4 p.m. - Team 3 On Ice (NWA), Team 4 Off Ice

Tuesday, September 19
9-10 a.m. - Non-Game 1 On Ice (IH), Non-Game 2 Off Ice
10-11 a.m. - Non-Game 1 Off Ice, Non-Game 2 On Ice (IH)
10 a.m. - Pre-Game Skate (NWA)
7 p.m. - VS. CHICAGO, NATIONWIDE ARENA

Wednesday, September 20
10 a.m. - Morning Skate (NWA)
10-11 a.m. - Non-Game Group On (IH)
11 a.m.-12 p.m. - Non-Game Group Off Ice
8 p.m. ET - at St. Louis, Scottrade Center

Thursday, September 21
No Practice Scheduled

Friday, September 22
7 p.m. - VS. PITTSBURGH, NATIONWIDE ARENA

Saturday, September 23
8:30 p.m. ET - at Chicago, United Center

Sunday, September 24
No Morning Skate
3 p.m. - VS. NASHVILLE, NATIONWIDE ARENA

Monday, September 25
10 a.m.-11 a.m. - Group 1 On Ice (NWA), Group 2 Off Ice
11 a.m.-12 p.m. - Group 2 On Ice (IH), Group 1 Off Ice

Tuesday, September 26
10-11 a.m. - Non-Game Group On Ice (IH)
7 p.m. ET - VS. ST. LOUIS, NATIONWIDE ARENA

Wednesday, September 27
No Practice Scheduled

Thursday, September 28
10-11 a.m. - Non-Game Group On Ice (IH)
8 p.m. ET - at Nashville, Bridgestone Arena

Friday, September 29
11 a.m. - Practice (NWA)

Saturday, September 30
No Morning Skate
8-9 a.m. - Non-Game Group On Ice (IH)
9-10 a.m. - Non-Game Group Off Ice
3 p.m. - at Pittsburgh, PPG Paints Arena

Sunday, October 1
11 a.m. - Practice (IH)

Monday, October 2
No Practice Scheduled

Tuesday, October 3
11 a.m. - Practice (IH)

Groups

Last edited:

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Would have been great if Jarmo could have started the press conference with "we have a trade to announce." Seems there's starting to be more buzz about Duchene in general.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Torts just implied that if Anderson doesn't come to camp, he could lose his job.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Was the stream supposed to go from Torts directly to players? CBJ digital media team is having a rough day. First they post a 9 minute video of nothing, and now the stream just ends with Torts getting up and the guy saying players are next.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
They said they would be seated in different areas so I think they were all taking questions at the same time and those videos will be posted later rather then streamed kinda like the pre Superbowl interviews set up.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Was it a like a threat or more of a if you're not here, guys like Milano and Abramov could impress and steal your spot?

He didn't say Anderson's name out right, but who else would he be talking about? It was a threat, but it wasn't something Johansen esc. He even said after the statement that it wasn't a threat.

Did he imply it or did you infer it? Either way, seems like a no-brainer statement from the coach to me.

He implied it. His quote was along the lines of

"I got great reports up in Traverse, and with the competition in this camp I'm not going to focus on a guy who isn't here and could lose his spot if he's not here."

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
He didn't say Anderson's name out right, but who else would he be talking about? It was a threat, but it wasn't something Johansen esc. He even said after the statement that it wasn't a threat.

He implied it. His quote was along the lines of

"I got great reports up in Traverse, and with the competition in this camp I'm not going to focus on a guy who isn't here and could lose his spot if he's not here."

Hmmm. Seems like making a big deal out of nothing then, particularly because I assume he was asked a loaded question. Of course a guy who isn't in camp, and doesn't currently have a contract with CBJ, could lose his job.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm betting Abramov atleast gets a 10 game look, and he would gladly take Andersons job. Should be pretty cut and dry , so if Anderson or agent is trying to be silly , Jarmo may just trade him, sure the demand would be there

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I feel a lot better about our RW group when Bjorkstrand isn't the biggest of the three scoring line RW's. Maybe keep Anderson?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I feel a lot better about our RW group when Bjorkstrand isn't the biggest of the three scoring line RW's. Maybe keep Anderson?
Panarin-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Duchene-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Abramov
Calvert-Sedlak-Motte

I understand wanting players to have some size but what's wrong with that lineup? No line is going to be severely overmatched physically.

And for the record, I would prefer to keep Anderson. But if contract talks are stalling and he can make the Duchene trade happen, then it was nice knowing you Josh.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Foligno-Duchene-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Abramov
Calvert-Sedlak-Motte

I understand wanting players to have some size but what's wrong with that lineup? No line is going to be severely overmatched physically.

And for the record, I would prefer to keep Anderson. But if contract talks are stalling and he can make the Duchene trade happen, then it was nice knowing you Josh.

The first line would be overmatched physically.

I don't know how much it matters but I think having all small RW's would make it easier for other clubs to counter the Jackets strategically - they know there's more space on their left side of the ice, on all lines.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I'm open to a few options as to who we could trade for Duchene. Anderson is not one of them for me.

Anyway, I'd still like to see Abramov get a long look.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The first line would be overmatched physically.

I don't know how much it matters but I think having all small RW's would make it easier for other clubs to counter the Jackets strategically - they know there's more space on their left side of the ice, on all lines.
How did playing physical work against Pittsburgh? Maybe that first line is a little one dimensional, but they're also the most skilled and wouldn't have many problems passing and dancing around a bigger physical line.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
How did playing physical work against Pittsburgh?

I don't see the relevance to this discussion. "Physical play" can refer to an intentional strategy of pummeling the other team to weaken them, to the routine manhandling we see in parts of every game, and to a lot of other things. Not the same thing.

But for the record, the physicality in the Pens series is frequently misunderstood. It is an investment, it's not supposed to immediately pay off. Folks made a lot of comments about the Jackets playing better after they stopped hitting so much. Of course they did, and the Pens D predictably played worse as the series went on. That's how investments work.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Foligno-Duchene-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Abramov
Calvert-Sedlak-Motte

Where is Pld ?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I'm open to a few options as to who we could trade for Duchene. Anderson is not one of them for me.

Anyway, I'd still like to see Abramov get a long look.

Anderson would be tough to replace. We have a ton of skilled wingers coming up (I think Abramov is a darkhorse candidate to push for a spot), so I think including Bjorkstrand rather than Anderson would make more sense from Columbus' perspective. And honestly, I see a lot of Milan Lucic in Josh Anderson's game (but a better skater than Milan).

Our management is incredibly high on Bjorkstrand, but you know the saying...you've got to give to get. But Abramov could easily replace Bjork in the lineup...not so much Anderson.

Panarin-Wennberg-Foligno
Jenner-Duchene-Atkinson
Dubois-Dubinsky-Anderson
Abramov-Sedlak-Calvert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad