OT: 2017 American Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Jets going into full tank mode.

I hope that is the case honestly. The Jets aren't going anywhere beating their head against the wall the next couple of years making short-term signings to maybe get the second wild card while the Pats continue to dominate the division at least until Brady finally meets father time. Especially with no franchise QB readily available (Romo ain't coming here and won't stay healthy anyway, Cutler? Child please).

My worry is they'll just take all the money they're saving now and reinvest it on slightly less old players. Especially if the rumor's true they wanted to actually extend Marshall before he nixed it wanting to go elsewhere and granting his wish by cutting him. Trying to extend Marshall isn't something you do if you want to rebuild, especially still having Decker and a couple of the other young receivers that need reps (Enunwa, Robby Anderson). They don't have enough of a foundation to try to play the win now game, they have holes almost everywhere other than WR - even without Marshall - and a DL that only plays when it wants to.

Plus if you are going to play win-now then why on earth would you keep Bowles, who clearly lost the team last year? I actually would understand keeping him more if he was just a sacrificial lamb coaching out his deal for a bad team.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Kaepernick's an insignificant clown anyway. He didn't even vote after all his social sabre-rattling. He's not a good QB, if the Jets sign him it'll only show that Maccagnan's not a good GM.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Kaepernick's an insignificant clown anyway. He didn't even vote after all his social sabre-rattling. He's not a good QB, if the Jets sign him it'll only show that Maccagnan's not a good GM.

What do they do? Draft another QB after the last two sound like duds?

I guess they could go after TT if Buffalo cuts him loose, but other teams have bigger treasure chests.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I hope the Jets tank honestly. That team has no hope or future to look forward to. It's about time they're doing that. Draft some great O-Linemen in the drafts until there's a franchise QB available for them to take. I'm not a fan of any QBs this year, but in the next few years there should be a few solid ones to come through.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Cruz is done. Whatever team signs him will regret it. Both cuts today were predictable.

A 6'3" receiver will be in the top 3 on the depth chart next season (...but who knows with Reese). I called Marshall weeks ago so I'm sticking with it. Interested to see what the Rutgers product Britt fetches on the open market though.

:naughty:

First called it mid-January. Hopefully I'm right about Shattenkirk too!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Jets fans can continue to watch Marshall on local tv-but now see him win games.

Yeah because we didn't see him win games with us, including against the Giants 2 years ago. :laugh:

I wish him the best, I get him wanting to go to a team not trying to rebuild and he wants to keep his TV gig. It only made sense. No ill will towards the Giants. Just glad he didn't go to NE.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Definitely fills one of the Giants needs. Now they just need some O-line help, linebacker help, and a TE that can catch footballs.

1) O-line as top priority. LT main focus

2) linebackers, still think they could get by without major additions. And they'll have to because of the cap

Distant 3rd
3) Receiving TE. Not nearly as important with 3 solid WRs. A "nice to have", but not a focal point. I'd almost prefer a guy with TE size that can at least block. As oppose to FB sized Tye.

As for the draft, I don't see them going TE in the top 2 rounds but who knows. I would think o-line, LB, and d-line would take priority.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
1) O-line as top priority. LT main focus

2) linebackers, still think they could get by without major additions. And they'll have to because of the cap

Distant 3rd
3) Receiving TE. Not nearly as important with 3 solid WRs. A "nice to have", but not a focal point. I'd almost prefer a guy with TE size that can at least block. As oppose to FB sized Tye.

O line is definitely the biggest priority. I put a TE because of how Eli likes to play.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
O line is definitely the biggest priority. I put a TE because of how Eli likes to play.

Yea, I agree with that and I wanted one prior to the official Marshall signing. Now I don't see them having the cap and I don't see them taking one of the top 2 TEs.

With limited cap, might as well get a TE capable of helping out in run/pass blocking on the cheap.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Stills staying in Miami, which I'm sure pleases ZBC greatly.

More terrifying, rumor floating around that the Pats may offer Malcolm Butler to the Saints for Brandin Cooks. I'm mortified at the thought of what he could do in that offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad