Speculation: 2017-2018 Trade Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I can't see how the Ducks could fit Kane, would have to send Bieksa to Buffola in order to do so. Maybe at the deadline then?

I think with LTIR room we could now, but there isn't much sense in that. Might as well give Roy and Blandisi a shot right now.

Gotta hope Vegas falls out and decides to sell, otherwise could be a sellers market come the deadline.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
With Montour on the third pairing they wouldn’t necessarily be playing behind our top 4, there’s a spot wide open alongside one of Lindholm/Fowler right now.

Right, but Bieksa is playing there now. As much as he struggles during the season, he becomes a different player in the playoffs. When the whistles get swallowed he comes alive. Considering how good he was in the playoffs last year, how much would we have to pay to get a player better than that? I see a depth signing, but nothing more than that personally.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Right, but Bieksa is playing there now. As much as he struggles during the season, he becomes a different player in the playoffs. When the whistles get swallowed he comes alive. Considering how good he was in the playoffs last year, how much would we have to pay to get a player better than that? I see a depth signing, but nothing more than that personally.

Bieksa has grown on me more and more the last couple of seasons. Sure he has his share of mistakes but he also brings it every night and stands up to anyone... might be the toughest player in the NHL. Of course he's a beast in the playoffs which is really what matters anyways.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Let’s not overstate his playoff contributions. He went from completely sucking in the regular season to playing passable third pairing quality hockey in the playoffs. He was far from a force out there.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Would you pay Larsson + 2018 1st?

I probably would not move our 2018 1st for Kane if we were including Larsson, but I probably would send that package to Ottawa for Hoffman if they decide to really blow it up. For Kane, I'd probably be comfortable moving a conditional 2019 2nd that would turn to a 2019 1st if we win the cup or re-sign Kane, as well as a prospect not named Steel, Jones, or Larsson.

I doubt this would be the best deal Buffalo would get, but a package of Ritchie, the conditional 2019 2nd, and something else like one of our 2018 3rds wouldn't hurt my feelings too much to add another weapon of Kane's talent to our top six. Our forward corps would be seriously stacked for a cup run.

However, my hangup with Kane isn't the fact that we would likely be giving up a lot for a pure rental...it is the fact that I don't know where he is with those off-ice issues and whether that is all in the past or not. In a vacuum, I'd move a hell of a lot to add a LW with 40 goal potential to our top six given how few years we have left with Getzlaf and Kesler in their primes. We need to win now and IMO the Western Conference will be just as tough to get through this year as it was last year if not more so.

I tend to agree with the posters above who said that that interest referenced by Bob Mackenzie may just be carry-over from before the Henrique deal. But if Murray is looking to add another top six winger Kane would be one of the best talents available for sure and I would not be opposed to moving pieces to do that.

91Fedorov

Dec 30, 2013
Let’s not overstate his playoff contributions. He went from completely sucking in the regular season to playing passable third pairing quality hockey in the playoffs. He was far from a force out there.

I respect your opinion, but I think labeling him as "passable third pairing" is unfair. He made people pay a price for coming into our zone. There was one game in particular where I thought he was our best defender that night. When he can be an unchecked thug, the other team needs to account for him. I definitely considered him a top 4 defender for us in last year's playoffs. I also think that teams need players like that once the playoffs start.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If Eaves comes back next year & plays in 75-80 games, do you think they'll trade him after that point ? If he has a healthy season in 2018-19 they'd be selling high on him.

Oct 18, 2011
Would you pay Larsson + 2018 1st?
That is a non starter for me. We're eating away at our D depth. Next year kb and bieksa are gone, Larsson should slot in somewhere. If we do make a trade i prefer to get a real top pairing D, Anaheim is an awful defensive team. Just a thought..

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
bieksa does play better in the playoffs. I can see some of the young guys stepping up and playing decent enough.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I respect your opinion, but I think labeling him as "passable third pairing" is unfair. He made people pay a price for coming into our zone. There was one game in particular where I thought he was our best defender that night. When he can be an unchecked thug, the other team needs to account for him. I definitely considered him a top 4 defender for us in last year's playoffs. I also think that teams need players like that once the playoffs start.

I just can’t agree with that assessment. I do agree he stepped it up but it was far from the level I would expect from a top 4 D.

Also FWIW in the games he did play in the playoffs he was playing sheltered minutes and only averaging 17 minutes per game which was lowest out of everyone except Holzer.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
My bad guys I misread the Hanzal trade from last year - it was a 2017 1st, 2017 2nd, and a minor league player. Kane would cost more than that wouldn't he?

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
My bad guys I misread the Hanzal trade from last year - it was a 2017 1st, 2017 2nd, and a minor league player. Kane would cost more than that wouldn't he?

The full deal was:

The Minnesota Wild acquired center Martin Hanzal, forward Ryan White and a fourth-round draft pick in 2017 from the Arizona Coyotes for a first-round draft pick in 2017, a second-round draft pick in 2018, a conditional fourth-round draft pick in 2019 and forward Grayson Downing.

You can't really pull the other stuff out of the deal and say Hanzal went for a 2017 1st and 2018 2nd last year. It was part of a larger package with several lesser value pieces involved. Also at the time of the trade Minnesota was in a good playoff position and likely forecast that their 1st rounder would be late in the round. It ended up being 23rd, which is a hell of a lot different than a top ten pick or even top 15 pick in last years 1st round in terms of value.

Also - Teemu Pulkinnen was mysteriously traded from the Wild to Arizona the very next day for future considerations, which in my mind means he was essentially a part of this deal as well, as it is highly unlikely the two GMs never mentioned moving him during their talks to trade Hanzal. So there is that to potentially consider as well.

All that being said, I would expect Kane to draw something around the general value of Hanzal (somewhere slightly less than a 1st and 2nd round pick). He is on pace for 35-40 goals and is young enough that a GM could acquire him with the intention of signing him long term. 2018 is supposed to be a pretty great draft, but if your team has a cup window open, bringing in a guy who could score at a 35 goal pace down the stretch and through the playoffs could be worth it, especially if you think you can re-sign him. That may be worth more to your organization over the next 5 years than a late 1st round pick who will be developing through much of that time and may not ever pan out.

91Fedorov

Dec 30, 2013
I just can’t agree with that assessment. I do agree he stepped it up but it was far from the level I would expect from a top 4 D.

Also FWIW in the games he did play in the playoffs he was playing sheltered minutes and only averaging 17 minutes per game which was lowest out of everyone except Holzer.

Him being sheltered could have been related to the fact that he was playing injured. We disagree, but not by a huge margin and that's ok. I still respect your opinion.

The D that I'm actually worried about in the playoffs is Beauch. He really faded down the stretch the last time he played for us in the post season. He has also clearly regressed since then as well. I'm not sure I see him playing every game for us in the playoffs. We may need someone to cover for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->