Line Combos: 2017-2018 Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Its hard to comprehend his spot is secure when his performance was so underwhelming. Pretty mixed message to send to the group when performance isnt rewarded.

Even worse when this "mixed message" has been sent to the players for a few years now.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
I am actually starting to worry. Offseason is to make team better. All we do is switching Methot to Odya and Stalberg to Thompson. This is regression. Other than that, its a same team again. Some can say, its a team that was one goal away of SCF. But I think Sens maded PO only cause Tampa and Boston sucked last season. This season its much harder. I was hoped for some major trade in a offseson. Even adding Jagr would be profit.
Now I predict many head scratching nights and questions about why our PP sucks.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I am actually starting to worry. Offseason is to make team better. All we do is switching Methot to Odya and Stalberg to Thompson. This is regression. Other than that, its a same team again. Some can say, its a team that was one goal away of SCF. But I think Sens maded PO only cause Tampa and Boston sucked last season. This season its much harder. I was hoped for some major trade in a offseson. Even adding Jagr would be profit.
Now I predict many head scratching nights and questions about why our PP sucks.

Jagr is done. He wasn't needed here.

Logan Brown will help our PP immensely if he sticks. I don't think the Sens needed much changing this season.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Its hard to comprehend his spot is secure when his performance was so underwhelming. Pretty mixed message to send to the group when performance isnt rewarded.

People need to understand that they're not just playing the "best" 6 D, they each have their own roles and ice time. Ben Harpur or Chabot wouldn't benefit playing 10 minutes per game on the third pairing.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Jagr is done. He wasn't needed here.

Logan Brown will help our PP immensely if he sticks. I don't think the Sens needed much changing this season.
I hope someone is targeted on waivers... Terrible depth up front. Thank god McCormick was sent down he is not an NHL player. Sending Chabot down without giving him a single chance to play his natural position to me is mind blowing. Like I get sending him down when he doesnt perform but he certainly wasnt given a great opportunity. The 'system' excuse to me is strange, Oduya is not a big player is not physical why is it ok to have him in the left D role and not Chabot?

This entire training camp has been very strange to me. Is Paul skating at all? If so why wasnt he kept up with the team to have a chance to play? Having Boro in the top 6 after his training camp also goes against performance based evaluations. He was terrible and wasnt played out of position like Claesson and Chabot were.

Also, why, as many people have said here, do some players "need time' to adjust and adapt to "The System", while Johnny "Far from elite" Oduya is fully able to step in to our first pairing on opening night. Is he a smarter player than Chabot? How does anyone even know this?

I am not the biggest Nick Paul fan, but the fact that he was sent down immediately when healthy without any game action is very bizarre. Seems to me that this roster was set in stone from the very beginning. Very little intrigue, very little competition, probably a good reason why the last 3 preseason games were so terrible. Players already knew where they stood.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
People need to understand that they're not just playing the "best" 6 D, they each have their own roles and ice time. Ben Harpur or Chabot wouldn't benefit playing 10 minutes per game on the third pairing.

Injuries will happen, if not to the Senators then to other teams who may then covet someone like Wideman, and the players in the AHL will get their chance.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I understand roles plenty thanks. Fact of the matter is those players aren't necessarily better than Chabot or Harpur in fact they performed worse.

Second of all the irony in one post saying Jagr is done but Logan Brown will help the pp is incredibly contradictory considering the style both players play. Which is very similar. I'll take the second leading scorer of all time over the teenager who needs to get stronger and faster.

While I like Brown's skill set this team is better off signing Jagr and having Brown return to Jr to get faster and stronger.

Reactions: krapsik

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Second of all the irony in one post saying Jagr is done but Logan Brown will help the pp is incredibly contradictory considering the style both players play. Which is very similar. I'll take the second leading scorer of all time over the teenager who needs to get stronger and faster.

While I like Brown's skill set this team is better off signing Jagr and having Brown return to Jr to get faster and stronger.

I think the cautionary tale here is that Florida let Jagr walk despite his offensive contributions.

I'm not sure he's a great fit for this team (think Kovalev with the Senators) because the only way we can be competitive is if everyone is on-board with our system. It's the same reason I'm leery about a guy like Iginla.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Logan Brown has officially picked his permanent jersey number - #21

Good number for him.

Kinda reminds me of Nicky, when he scored his first goal with the Sens and did his fathers patented Foligno jump. Nice to see the kids honoring their dads.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think the cautionary tale here is that Florida let Jagr walk despite his offensive contributions.

I'm not sure he's a great fit for this team (think Kovalev with the Senators) because the only way we can be competitive is if everyone is on-board with our system. It's the same reason I'm leery about a guy like Iginla.

AFAIK, Florida was thoroughly committed to dumping as much salary as they could this offseason, outside of retaining the obvious core players. Reilly Smith, Jason Demers and Jagr were all casualties of a team trying to reign in its budget.

From how I remember it - The old regime had promised Jagr a contract, but reneged on that promise after deciding to shrink the payroll.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
AFAIK, Florida was thoroughly committed to dumping as much salary as they could this offseason, outside of retaining the obvious core players. Reilly Smith, Jason Demers and Jagr were all casualties of a team trying to reign in its budget.

From how I remember it - The old regime had promised Jagr a contract, but reneged on that promise after deciding to shrink the payroll.

I went to read what the Florida fans were saying about it, and you're right.

There are a few who think he's not fast enough to play in the top 6 anymore, but in the same breath they acknowledge that no one was brought in to replace him either.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Bouchers comment in todays citizen talking about "losing his top two guy" (in reference to Karlsson and Oduya), is vey telling.

No doubt in my mind Boucher envisions those two guys together or at minimum Oduya in the top 4 with Ceci

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bouchers comment in todays citizen talking about "losing his top two guy" (in reference to Karlsson and Oduya), is vey telling.

No doubt in my mind Boucher envisions those two guys together or at minimum Oduya in the top 4 with Ceci
I kind of did a double take when I heard that, because I have a hard time believing he has definitively Oduya ahead of Phaneuf and Ceci. I had suspected he meant two top guys, not his top two guys, but that's just my assumption.

Either way, Boucher definitely liked Oduya in his top 4. Don't blame him from what I've seen thought.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Also, why, as many people have said here, do some players "need time' to adjust and adapt to "The System", while Johnny "Far from elite" Oduya is fully able to step in to our first pairing on opening night. Is he a smarter player than Chabot? How does anyone even know this?

I am not the biggest Nick Paul fan, but the fact that he was sent down immediately when healthy without any game action is very bizarre. Seems to me that this roster was set in stone from the very beginning. Very little intrigue, very little competition, probably a good reason why the last 3 preseason games were so terrible. Players already knew where they stood.

This has kind of been my opinion too since the summer especially given that almost the entire roster had one way contracts to start the yr. The fact that MacArthur & White both got hurt opened up two rooster spots for Brown & Formenton but given Chabot is supposed to be their best prospect he got sent down fairly quickly IMO because Ottawa has 7 defencemen on one way contracts ahead of him, not to mention Harpur who GB seems to like. I wasn't that surprised by the roster moves tbh.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think all the talk about adjusting to the system was more for a) when the whole team had to adjust when Boucher first started, and b) when guys were acquired at the trade deadline and had no training camp or practices.

Oduya had a full training camp, and wasn't playing with a full roster of guys who didn't know the system, so while he may still need to work his way through learning a new system, it's not as bad as everyone figuring it out at the same time, nor is it as bad as coming in to game action with no run up.

Chabot currently isn't adapting to a system, he's adapting to playing his off side, and the pro game (he mentioned being told in Bingo that he can't do rim arounds anymore like he could in junior). There are things that become habits in CHL that don't work in the NHL or the AHL, so he needs to get those out of his system.

Wrt very little intrigue or competition, what about Formenton making the team out of nowhere? That doesn't sound like set in stone from the beginning to me.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I kind of did a double take when I heard that, because I have a hard time believing he has definitively Oduya ahead of Phaneuf and Ceci. I had suspected he meant two top guys, not his top two guys, but that's just my assumption.

Either way, Boucher definitely liked Oduya in his top 4. Don't blame him from what I've seen thought.

Personally feel like Oduya is better than Phaneuf. He makes it a lot easier on his partner at the very least because he can skate better than Phaneuf and I find that Phaneuf often plays hot potato with the puck while Oduya knows how to manage the puck better.

Now of course this is in very limited viewings of Oduya, we'll see if he can keep it up.

I actually think he might be our 2nd best defensemen. The way he see's the ice and doesn't give the puck away/ doesn't make a free pass is better than all of our D other than Karlsson. Defensively he's always well positionned. Could be a bit faster, could be a bit more physical but his fundamentals are solid and better than our other Dmen.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So we're getting close to having all our regular D healthy. How do we think they'll line up now?

I'm thinking something like this could work;

Claesson-Karlsson
Oduya-Ceci
Phaneuf-Wideman/Boro/Chabot

My preference is Chabot with Phaneuf, at least if he works out some kinks in his game before everyone is healthy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So we're getting close to having all our regular D healthy. How do we think they'll line up now?

I'm thinking something like this could work;

Claesson-Karlsson
Oduya-Ceci
Phaneuf-Wideman/Boro/Chabot

My preference is Chabot with Phaneuf, at least if he works out some kinks in his game before everyone is healthy.
I respectfully disagree. My guess is that Wideman does not last the yr in Ottawa & this would be the defence with a healthy lineup.

Oduya - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boroweicki - Claesson/Wideman/Harpur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I respectfully disagree. My guess is that Wideman does not last the yr in Ottawa & this would be the defence with a healthy lineup.

Oduya - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boroweicki - Claesson/Wideman/Harpur

Guess or wishful thinking?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, I know the Ryan Brass Stone line has been fantastic, but Ryan and Dzingel have shown some chemistry, while Turris' line has had a slow start; what if we tried something like this to get Turris going:

Dzingel-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Brass-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Pyatt
Formenton/Thompson/Brown-Burrows

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What do you think we look like now after the trade? I'd like to see this once healthy;

Hoffman-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-Brassard-Stone
Smith-Pageau-White
Burrows-Thompson-Pyatt

Claesson-Karlsson
Oduya-Ceci
Phaneuf-Wideman/Chabot called up

Reactions: Sensinitis

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think management will want to do everything they can to assure this deal ends up in success for this organization at least for this yr & will put their best forwards with Duchene. I'm still not sold on this team even with the addition of Duchene, I'm not a fan of the bottom six, the bottom pairing or the goaltending. I also think they need more of a finisher to replace Dzingel in the top 6 like James Neal. Maybe switch Smith with Hoffman to spread out the offence, it's not that much different than with Turris here tbh.

Hoffman - Duchene - Stone
Dzingel - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Pyatt
Burrows - Thompson - DiDomenico/Rodewald

Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Oduya - Wideman/Boro

Anderson - Condon

Reactions: Icelevel and Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad