Prospect Info: 2017-2018 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Estephan with 2 goals and 1 assist in his first game at the Memorial Cup. This guy will probably get a look at the AHL level next year.

I hope its in Bakersfield but we will probably sign another 34 yr old instead.
I heard rumours the other day Bakersfield is interested in Viveiros(Swift Current HC & GM)

Would be interesting if he pursued some of his players to play in Bakersfield(Estephan & Khaira)

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I heard rumours the other day Bakersfield is interested in Viveiros(Swift Current HC & GM)

Would be interesting if he pursued some of his players to play in Bakersfield(Estephan & Khaira)

Not sure where you heard this, but Jay Woodcroft has been hired to be the HC in Bakersfield. I can't see Viveiros leaving Swift for assistant job in the AHL. He's going for an HC job in the A or an assistant job in the NHL.

What Stauffer and a few others are saying, is that Viveiros is being looked at by a few NHL teams (including the Oilers) for an assistant coaching position.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Not sure where you heard this, but Jay Woodcroft has been hired to be the HC in Bakersfield. I can't see Viveiros leaving Swift for assistant job in the AHL. He's going for an HC job in the A or an assistant job in the NHL.

What Stauffer and a few others are saying, is that Viveiros is being looked at by a few NHL teams (including the Oilers) for an assistant coaching position.
Yikes, quite the brain fart :laugh:

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Skyler Brind'Amour and the Chilliwack Chiefs won the RBC Cup yesterday. He was tied for 4th in tournament scoring.

It's easy to forget about him and he's definitely a long term prospect. He has another year, I assume back in Chilliwack, before going to Michigan State.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
BCJHL champions Wenachee Wild crushed all of their opposition to get to the RBC semi-final only to be bounced 2-1 despite outshooting the Ontario champion something like 51-12.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Skyler Brind'Amour and the Chilliwack Chiefs won the RBC Cup yesterday. He was tied for 4th in tournament scoring.

It's easy to forget about him and he's definitely a long term prospect. He has another year, I assume back in Chilliwack, before going to Michigan State.

He has the pedigree but his stats to date have been less than impressive. I hope that he becomes a player for us at some point.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He has the pedigree but his stats to date have been less than impressive. I hope that he becomes a player for us at some point.
Yeah.... of course this is all just stat watching. But less than 1/2 a ppg in his draft+1 year in the BCHL is actually terrible. Even for a 6th rounder.

For comparisons sake, Khaira in his draft year as a 17 year old put up nearly 1.5ppg in the BCHL.

I'm confused as to why he was ever even drafted tbh. Seems like a complete hail mary shot in the dark. He barely even played any hockey in his draft year and it didn't seem like he could cut it in the USHL. It's the kind of pick where I'd love to hear the arguments that whichever scout was advocating for him had. Surely it can't just be blood lines?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah.... of course this is all just stat watching. But less than 1/2 a ppg in his draft+1 year in the BCHL is actually terrible. Even for a 6th rounder.

For comparisons sake, Khaira in his draft year as a 17 year old put up nearly 1.5ppg in the BCHL.

I'm confused as to why he was ever even drafted tbh. Seems like a complete hail mary shot in the dark. He barely even played any hockey in his draft year and it didn't seem like he could cut it in the USHL. It's the kind of pick where I'd love to hear the arguments that whichever scout was advocating for him had. Surely it can't just be blood lines?

Size and bloodlines maybe? Look at Josh Manson.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Stunning performance with a .963 save percentage. Hamilton could have easily had eight or more.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Manson had double Brind'Amour's points in the BCHL at the same age.

I usually try to look on the bright side with prospects, but I just don't get that pick.

More-so pointing to the bloodlines and being a later pick. That said, for every Manson there's probably 20 legit prospects with NHL ties that never get there.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
https://www.tsn.ca/report-oilers-prospect-likely-to-re-enter-draft-1.1091877

Edmonton Oilers 2016 third-round pick Markus Niemelainen is likely to re-enter the NHL draft pool next month, Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Sun reports.
According to Matheson, the defenceman hasn't progressed the way the Oilers had hoped over the past two seasons and it appears he's unlikely to a sign an entry-level contract with the team.

There's been speculation that this may be the case for a while. Matheson is so out of touch I don't take his word for anything at this point personally.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

There's been speculation that this may be the case for a while. Matheson is so out of touch I don't take his word for anything at this point personally.

Neither do I, I just don't see what he'd have to gain from making up this one. Although could just be him trying to put two and two together.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Matheson either doesn't understand how prospect rights work or can't be bothered to look up what is actually correct before writing an article. Last month he claimed Cooper Marody was a UFA.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nick Ellis announces retirement:

Liked him as a prospect, especially after his rookie AHL season. But good on him. I think its great that players are realizing at a younger and younger age that leaving hockey to build a life long career is super important, and the younger you do it, the better. Riding the bus in the AHL and ECHL when you are 30 years old was once glorified, but can put you behind the eight ball in life.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-30_17-31-53.png
    upload_2018-5-30_17-31-53.png
    273.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: LaGu

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Nick Ellis announces retirement:

Liked him as a prospect, especially after his rookie AHL season. But good on him. I think its great that players are realizing at a younger and younger age that leaving hockey to build a life long career is super important, and the younger you do it, the better. Riding the bus in the AHL and ECHL when you are 30 years old was once glorified, but can put you behind the eight ball in life.

Yeah, and sometimes it's hard to see through our eyes because as hardcore hockey fans, it can be hard to fathom walking away from a sport that we love as fans.

The reality it can be like any job for the players. Some players might like the sport, but not love it, and if you dont love it, riding a bus until you're 30 isn't something that seems fun.

Glad he figured it out, and wish him the best.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I don't think Wells would really get much out of another year of junior. Especially since Peterborough looks to be pretty rough again next season. It may seem like he had a bad year going by his numbers, but he was on a worse team and SV% took a pretty big hit league-wide. There was only something like eight goalies in the entire league who played 30+ games with a SV% over .900.

The Oilers are in kind of a tough spot with both of them already having 150-200 junior games under their belt.

I wonder if they'd have them split time in the ECHL and hope at least one of them works their way up to he AHL quickly.

I guess loaning one to start for another ECHL team is a possibly too.

where do you guys rank skinner in your top prospect list? curious beyond him as well - where do jones/bear/safin/maksimov
all stack up?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
where do you guys rank skinner in your top prospect list? curious beyond him as well - where do jones/bear/safin/maksimov
all stack up?

I'd have a tough time ranking the prospects right now. Lots of guys super close together, I think.

Take the defense, for example. I'd probably lean toward Bear being the best, but I think Jones, Berglund and Lagesson could be right up there with him next season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I was reading that Sun article about Mantha and I feel so bad. He has lost his straight ahead vision in his one eye. Damn blood clots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad