Prospect Info: 2017-2018 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Ostap Safin, Dimtri Samorukov and Kailer Yamamoto should be already off to their respective WJHC teams, so there's only 4 games to follow tonight.

OHL

North Bay at Niagara (Kirill Maksimov) @ 5 PM
Listen at 610 CKTB St. Catherines or watch on OHL Live

Peterborough (Dylan Wells) at Oshawa @ 5:30 PM
Listen at 1460 CJOY Guelph or watch on OHL Live

WHL

Lethbridge (Stuart Skinner) at Brandon @ 6:30 PM
Listen at 106.7 CJRX Lethbridge or watch on WHL Live

Victoria at Vancouver (Tyler Benson) @ 8:30 PM
Listen at 1410 CFTE Vancouver or watch on WHL Live

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Tyler Benson with another goal and assist last night. Puts him at a stat line of 20GP - 13G-18A-31P (1.55PPG). This is exactly the type of year he needs to have before pushing into the AHL and potentially NHL next year, just needs to stay healthy for the rest of the year. If he hadn't missed the start of the season he'd have a chance at breaking 100P this year. I'm really excited to follow him through this year and next. He really is such a smart hockey player with some incredible vision and playmaking skill.

I know some had concerns about him being another Hamilton/Pitlick/Martindale, but I think he's miles ahead of those guys as a junior player. There's just way more to his game than any of those players had.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Kirill Maksimov had a goal and an assist, took 5 shots, got called for interference and was even, as the Battalion took the IceDogs on a 20 mile hike 6-3.
Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League
Dec. 15/17 – NB (6) – NIAG (3) – Ontario Hockey League

Dmitri Samorukov had an assist, 4 shots and was +2, as the Storm blew down the front gate of the Frontenacs 5-4.
Dec. 15/17 – KGN (4) – GUE (5) – Ontario Hockey League

Dylan Wells (L 13-12-2) made 24 saves, as the Generals demoted the Petes to peeling potatoes 6-3.
Dec. 15/17 – PBO (3) – OSH (6) – Ontario Hockey League

Stuart Skinner (L 12-13-2) stopped 27 of 29 shots, as the Wheat Kings banished the Hurricanes to the dark realm 3-0.
WHL Network
WATCH: Lethbridge (0) at Brandon (3) – December 15th, 2017 – Brandon Wheat Kings

Tyler Benson had a goal and an assist, 5 shots, lost his only faceoff, served 2 for charging, was+1 and was named 2nd star, as the Giants used the Royals' palace as a doll house 3-1.
WHL Network
- Vancouver Giants

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
4 games tonight plus a non-prospect game on TV.

OHL

Sault Ste. Marie at Guelph (Dmitri Samorukov) @ 2 PM
Listen at 1460 CJOY Guelph or watch on OHL Live

Barrie at Niagara (Kirill Maksimov) @ 5 PM
Listen at 610 CKTB St. Catherines or watch on OHL Live

WHL

Lethbridge (Stuart Skinner) at Regina @ 6 PM
Listen at 106.7 CJRX Lethbridge or watch on WHL Live

Vancouver (Tyler Benson) at Victoria @ 8 PM
Listen at 1040 CKST Vancouver or watch on WHL Live

QMJHL

Acadie-Bathurst at Moncton
Watch this on SNP, SNE, SNO and SNW (jip) @ 1:30 PM

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
BTW, anyone that was steamed about not getting Spencer Foo this summer:

Patrick Russell: 6-4-10, +2, 24GP
Spencer Foo: 5-7-12, -4, 24 GP

Said it from the beginning, Foo is a B level prospect, longshot to ever see consistent NHL time let alone top six minutes.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Said it from the beginning, Foo is a B level prospect, longshot to ever see consistent NHL time let alone top six minutes.
Way too early to predict things like that. Give it at least 3 years and then you can properly judge.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Way too early to predict things like that. Give it at least 3 years and then you can properly judge.

Usually I'd agree but these guys are already 23-24 years old.

These aren't 18 year olds who have just been drafted.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Most guys coming out of college as free agents are overhyped and rarely amount to much more than fringe/low-tier NHL guys so it's not much of a surprise. Remember Calgary got that Kenney Morrison guy and he doesn't even seem to be able to cut in the ECHL.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the best part about benson is he is the same age as JP98 :]. the wings will look great for the future if Jp, Benson and yammamoto all pan out

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Saw this one coming a mile away. Even when we were the front runners to get him I was not digging him. His situation was the definition of a complete fluke year. Both him and his linemates had meh to poor stats all 3 years prior, then in their senior seasons they were all shooting like 25% and had some of the luckiest stat lines in the NCAA ( I think that lines PDO was in the 110 range, which is crazy). They also did this in an easy conference

I have no issue calling him a future AHL flameout/career Euro league player. That's typically what you get with NCAA free agents though

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
On Saturday:

Dmitri Samorukov had no points, no shots and was -3, as the Greyhounds left the Storm at the bus stop 7-1.
Dec. 16/17 – SSM (7) – GUE (1) – Ontario Hockey League

Kirill Maksimov had a goal, 3 shots, lost his only faceoff and was -1, as the Colts kicked he IceDogs 5-3.
Dec. 16/17 – BAR (5) – NIAG (3) – Ontario Hockey League

Stuart Skinner made 33 saves and was named 2nd star, as the Hurricanes blew around the Pats 6-2.
WHL Network
Highlights: Hurricanes (6) at Pats (2) – WHL Network

Tyler Benson had an assist, 4 shots, won his only faceoff and was -2, as the Giants used the Royals' palatial swimming pool as a foot bath 6-2.
WHL Network
Highlights: Giants (6) at Royals (2) – WHL Network

On Sunday:

Dylan Wells made 8 saves on 11 shots before being pulled at 11:18 of the first period, as the Bulldogs harumphed their way over the Petes 5-2.
Dec. 17/17 – PBO (2) – HAM (5) – Ontario Hockey League

Dmitri Samorukov was not in the lineup as the Generals made the Storm clean the latrines with toothbrushes 6-1.

Tyler Benson had no points, 3 shots, won 1 of 2 faceoffs, took a roughing minor and was even, as the Giants Prince George back into their diapers 2-0.
WHL Network
Highlights: Cougars (0) at Giants (2) – WHL Network

All 3 leagues are in their Christmas break. The WHL return on the 7th, the OHL and QMJHL on the 28th.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Kemp is one of 8 defensemen left at the US camp. I predicted he'd get an invite to camp but thought it'd be more of an experience thing as they'd look at him for next year. But it's looking more and more like he might make the squad. I didn't know anything about him when he was selected, but the more I watch/read about him the more I'm getting cautiously excited for him. Looks like he could be a fantastic pick for where we got him.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Tyler Benson with another goal and assist last night. Puts him at a stat line of 20GP - 13G-18A-31P (1.55PPG). This is exactly the type of year he needs to have before pushing into the AHL and potentially NHL next year, just needs to stay healthy for the rest of the year. If he hadn't missed the start of the season he'd have a chance at breaking 100P this year. I'm really excited to follow him through this year and next. He really is such a smart hockey player with some incredible vision and playmaking skill.

I know some had concerns about him being another Hamilton/Pitlick/Martindale, but I think he's miles ahead of those guys as a junior player. There's just way more to his game than any of those players had.

I like the player, but I liked Pitlick as well, so who knows. The 3 players you mentioned are the EXACT comparables I would use for him from the Oilers recent history. I think he might have a little more skill than them, but its not by much I don't think. Pitlick and Benson had almost the exact same draft+1 stats, in the same league even. Roughly the same size, with Pitlick slightly larger, and both wingers who play "somewhat" the same as well (at least in junior).

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Kemp is one of 8 defensemen left at the US camp. I predicted he'd get an invite to camp but thought it'd be more of an experience thing as they'd look at him for next year. But it's looking more and more like he might make the squad. I didn't know anything about him when he was selected, but the more I watch/read about him the more I'm getting cautiously excited for him. Looks like he could be a fantastic pick for where we got him.

Very impressive for him to make the team. He was a 7th round pick too.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I like the player, but I liked Pitlick as well, so who knows. The 3 players you mentioned are the EXACT comparables I would use for him from the Oilers recent history. I think he might have a little more skill than them, but its not by much I don't think. Pitlick and Benson had almost the exact same draft+1 stats, in the same league even. Roughly the same size, with Pitlick slightly larger, and both wingers who play "somewhat" the same as well (at least in junior).
Pitlicks a somewhat decent comparable, albeit Benson's draft+1 was still noticeably better and was trending up significantly at the time that he was injured. He was also doing it on a terrible team that was 2nd last in goals for. Medicine Hat on the other hand scored 80 more goals than Vancouver in that season Pitlick played. Pitlick was also a late birthday so he had even more of an advantage during that season.

The thing is, I like Pitlick and think he could have become a 2nd liner if not for injuries, but his reckless crash and bang style unfortunately has made his injuries far too predictable. Benson on the other hand has had some unfortunate injuries with a sports hernia and cyst on his coccyx, but there's nothing about his style of play that really suggests these injuries are recurring or anything aside from bad luck.

As to Martindale and Hamilton, both of those players benefited from being huge frames playing against teenagers. This is probably one of the most common occurrences in CHL hockey. Big players putting up good seasons and then looking horrible in the AHL. Its a much different game when you can't physically dominate 16-20 year olds because of your size advantage.

To be clear, I'm not saying Benson is different from these players due to looking at their stat lines. I'm saying it because his playmaking and hockey IQ are at a level that none of these players possessed. Just my opinion, and you're entitled to yours. I saw him play a bunch last season and of the clips I've seen this year he looks to be continuing to trend up.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Looks like 2017 7th round pick Phil Kemp has made Team USA with 2017 3rd round pick Reilly Walsh being cut.

Quite the tear Kemp is on.
Awesome. I figured he had a shot at making it. He wasn't on my radar when we selected him, but he sure is now. From everything I've heard he seems to be trending up in a big way this year. Excited to get a better look at him next week.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm surprised Walsh got cut.

Almost at a point-per-game as a freshman defenseman. Been taking minutes away from our prospect, John Marino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad