2017-2018 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
They've just lacked something for most of this year. Regardless of how this year ends up, I'd like to see us move on from Lucia and bring in an energetic new voice to breathe some life into the program.

We owe a lot to Lucia, and he's been a great coach, but I don't want it to be a Red Berenson situation where he just coasts for years and years. I don't think Lucia wants to do that, anyways.
Probably missing that 25% power play the gophers typically have.
I think it's been a soft ranking for most of the year. How many good wins do they actually have 3 or 4?
What do you consider a “good win?”

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've never thought much of Lucia's coaching. He has just always had access to the best talent in MN, for the most part.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's not possible to have a "soft ranking" in the Pairwise. Simple math.

Inflated by wins against NoDak and SCSU that they probably didn’t deserve. Line up their good wins and bad losses and my guess is the 2nd list is longer.

They aren’t an impressive team no matter where the numbers put them.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Inflated by wins against NoDak and SCSU that they probably didn’t deserve. Line up their good wins and bad losses and my guess is the 2nd list is longer.

They aren’t an impressive team no matter where the numbers put them.
I completely agree with your last line, but nobody is any good if you discredit their wins and magnify their losses.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I completely agree with your last line, but nobody is any good if you discredit their wins and magnify their losses.

Those are some pretty bad losses to magnify. But maybe all of the teams behind them in the PW have the same type of thing going.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The only loss that they have to a team that isn't currently in the tournament is a 3-2 loss to Wisconsin.

True, but it's also how you lose. Swept and outscored 10-3 by a team behind you, swept at home to a team you're tied with.

I'm guessing that's what is keeping their ranking afloat; the right teams are in the right spots.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
No guessing's required. Strength of schedule is what's keeping Minnesota afloat. Five B1G teams sit in the top-16 of PWR, with their non-conference wins coming vs Union, UND, Clarkson x2, Harvard x2, SCSU. Another PSU sweep drops them some in PWR, but not enough to be outside the bubble pending other conference tourney results. Compare that to someone like BC, who's only wins have come in conference, and you see the difference in their ranking.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Be careful. It could be an eventful night. :)
I'm having a blast! Will regret tomorrow at work though lol.
Michigan is 4 for 4 on the PP so far. Kyle Hayton is the sieviest sieve that ever sieved.
PK is so bad. See Trent Frederic on that 4th PK goal against. So lazy it hurts. Get off the PK if you're gonna play like that.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Gophers look like they have no system, players constantly crowding each other.
In comparison Penn State seems to be able to pressure the puck with multiple people and when the Gophers gain control and look to break out Penn State still has 3 players back on defense.

Reactions: The Enemy Within

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Was down in Mankato on Saturday meeting friends and we had lunch at a table right next to the Minnesota State Men's Hockey team. I guess wolfing down Fettuccine Alfredo got them all fired up to wax Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad