2017-2018 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I wish they could have done it more in that holiday season, around Thanksgiving or Christmas. Maybe even the week between Christmas and New Years. Less schedule concerns, so you could make it a 3 day tournament, everyone is involved.

But, the tournament is pretty much dead now, isn't it?

Teams don't want a 3 day tournament so it's a non-starter from there anyway. No conference tourney is a 3 day event anymore either you'll notice.
What should have happened is whoever finishes 4th is out the next year (MN attendance be damned). But that was never going to happen either.
But yes it is dead and likely will never return.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Teams don't want a 3 day tournament so it's a non-starter from there anyway. No conference tourney is a 3 day event anymore either you'll notice.
What should have happened is whoever finishes 4th is out the next year (MN attendance be damned). But that was never going to happen either.
But yes it is dead and likely will never return.

The only way you could do the 4th place team being out idea is if the Champions got to host it the following year. Which actually would have been kind of a cool idea, I think.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
The hat? Look, it's a reasonable list and you're right - ND probably is a borderline Top 10 team. But those three Boston (although not IN Boston) teams and Notre Dame are definitely pre-ordained to be there (and I 100% guarantee that list will change in a month), and he knew the response he would get from Sioux fans.

If you are gonna claim this list is just the usual suspects, explain how North Dakota, BC and Quinnipiac aren't on there?

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
A list like that is just trolling them. He has to be one of the most obnoxious people in hockey media.

I love his enthusiasm for trying to fit in anything hockey related on his dreaded network. But it seems like he is trying too hard to fit in with a much younger generation. Think Jims dad in American Pie, but less cool.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I love his enthusiasm for trying to fit in anything hockey related on his dreaded network. But it seems like he is trying too hard to fit in with a much younger generation. Think Jims dad in American Pie, but less cool.

This is such a perfect description. Keep it real, homies.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Monticello's leading scorer last year Ben Ward commits to SCSU.
Playing his senior season with the MN Wilderness in the NAHL.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

That's definitely the case. The guy has a wide following so I like the fact that he's such a promoter of college hockey, but man sometimes he gets so cringey with the whole "trying to be hip" schtick.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
That's definitely the case. The guy has a wide following so I like the fact that he's such a promoter of college hockey, but man sometimes he gets so cringey with the whole "trying to be hip" schtick.

At least he's trying. As big of a market for hockey MN is, they sure don't talk about them a lot.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Huskies pick up a local kid. Nate Warner a sophomore from Cathedral. 48 points last year.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Preseason Poll for the B1G:

1. Minnesota
2. Notre Dame
3. Wisconsin
4. Penn State
5. Ohio State
6. Michigan
7. Michigan State

"Preseason Watch List", unanimous selections were Tyler Sheehy (Minnesota) and Trent Frederic (Wisconsin)

Player | Position | School
Quinn Hughes |D| Michigan
Will Lockwood |F| Michigan
Josh Norris |F| Michigan
Ryan Lindgren |D| Minnesota
Casey Mittelstadt |F| Minnesota
Rem Pitlick |F| Minnesota
Tyler Sheehy |F| Minnesota
Jake Evans |F| Notre Dame
Jordan Gross |D| Notre Dame
Andrew Oglevie |F| Notre Dame
Mason Jobst |F| Ohio State
Matthew Weis |F| Ohio State
Peyton Jones |G| Penn State
Denis Smirnov |F| Penn State
Trent Frederic |F| Wisconsin
Kyle Hayton |G| Wisconsin
Cameron Hughes |F| Wisconsin

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Yeah they are. Gamers...but just not enough talent.
5-7 could be put in a blender IMO.

I would say that Miami has the potential to be the biggest surprise in the NCHC and is my longshot to give Denver a run for the title.

Only lost 1 player that really contributed offensively.
Had 15 or so Freshman last year that needed a year in the league ( as most do ).
Return all 6 D that played min of 20ish games and Larkin between the pipes who was really good as a freshman who missed almost 16 months prior to last season due to injury.

If Wild draft pick and captain Belpedio stays healthy, ( lost 10 of 12 last yr with him out of lineup for injury ), they will be there in the end !

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Huskies grab another local kid. Spencer Meier from Sartell. A Dman, 6'2". 160
150 points for Sartell in 4 years. Now with Fargo.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I would say that Miami has the potential to be the biggest surprise in the NCHC and is my longshot to give Denver a run for the title.

Only lost 1 player that really contributed offensively.
Had 15 or so Freshman last year that needed a year in the league ( as most do ).
Return all 6 D that played min of 20ish games and Larkin between the pipes who was really good as a freshman who missed almost 16 months prior to last season due to injury.

If Wild draft pick and captain Belpedio stays healthy, ( lost 10 of 12 last yr with him out of lineup for injury ), they will be there in the end !

That A LOT of guys who would need to mature. They are likely a year away from competing for the Penrose. Top 4 not out of the question.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Did they axe the Minnesota version of the Beanpot? North Star challenge or whatever the f they called it. This woulda been a good year to have it.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
So if the NCHC Tourney is at the X, I assume that means the B1G Tourney will be played in Detroit again, in front of dozens of fans....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad