2017-2018 Laval Rocket and Brampton Beast Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
How many undrafted players? 15-25? Point is, players that get drafted high get more of a shot than late picks or undraftees

Of course high draft picks get more of a shot than late picks and undrafted ones. This hasn't stopped some to take a spot of a draft pick. The point still remains that no matter who is drafted or not, Matt Taormina, specifically, doesn't have enough of what it takes to be in the NHL. He has never shown it before when he did get a shot and is now 30 years old. He's a great AHL player, but he's another one of those guys who will dominate at the AHL level and be nothing more than an afterthought in the NHL.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
good to hear. What kind of D man is he? I know nothing about him.

I would consider Leblanc an all-round d-man. He's not going to "wow" you by going end to end and dangling through the whole team, but he's not afraid to join the rush and can make some plays offensively. Pretty sound defensively, good gap control and active stick, they use him on the PK. Most nights he wont make you stand out of your seat but does a good job of going unnoticed, which is good for a defense man. Lacks pure offensive skill, like you see in Taormina, but that may come with time and confidence playing in the pro ranks. Consistency will be key for him this year playing in a new league against older players, he's played well so far, but had a rough weekend this past weekend compared to the rest of the year. He's looking to earn an entry-level deal with his play this year.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
So what's the word on Scherbak? I didn't even know he was injured. Was it serious? God I hope it doesn't derail his recent success. That would be horrible luck.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So what's the word on Scherbak? I didn't even know he was injured. Was it serious? God I hope it doesn't derail his recent success. That would be horrible luck.

He had surgery and will be out for 6 weeks. Should be 5 weeks now since that was a week ago. Hopefully his recovery goes well and he won't have a setback, forcing him to take more time off.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
that sucks. sometimes knees can be bad but if it's only 5 weeks then maybe it won't hinder him. yeah completely missed that. thanks, again.

he's already had a major knee injury that he got in the WHL playoffs and kept him from working out 100% in the summer before turning pro. Hopefully it's not the same knee but I haven't heard.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
DOY6_vJVAAARwK4.jpg

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
DOZKkwfX4AAg55I.jpg

- Chris Terry scores his 7th from Taormina and McCarron on the PP.
- Jeremy Gregoire scores his 2nd from Parisi and Jerabek.
- Peter Holland scores his 7th from Terry and Jerabek.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Pathetic by Laval tonight. They were up 3-0 and they lost 6-4. On top of that, it was 6-3 until less than a minute left in the game, Carr scored his 8th from Holland and Taormina. The Rocket with a terrible showing against the worst team in the AHL, also, according to some tweets from those covering the team, Springfield was deprived of 4 of their best players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Pathetic by Laval tonight. They were up 3-0 and they lost 6-4. On top of that, it was 6-3 until less than a minute left in the game, Carr scored his 8th from Holland and Taormina. The Rocket with a terrible showing against the worst team in the AHL, also, according to some tweets from those covering the team, Springfield was deprived of 4 of their best players.

so glad MB brought Lefebvre back. 2 Former NHL defensemen and this team can't play defense worth a lick.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
so glad MB brought Lefebvre back. 2 Former NHL defensemen and this team can't play defense worth a lick.
Phil Housley is one of the best Dmen to have ever played the game...

The Buffalo Sabres can't play defense worth a lick either.

Don't think the 2 are related

Reactions: Jrham15

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just got done watching the game. McNiven was easily one of their best players, the only goal I fault him on was the 3rd, and that may not have happened if Petti wasn't caught out of position on the PK. One was tipped, one was a breakaway, another Lernout was asleep so he had a wide open net. It was reviewed for a good bit to see if he kicked it in. One I think McCarron either it hit him or he screened McNiven.

That said the game easily could have gone the other way. Terry missed a wide open net on the PP and that doesn't happen often, Holland got set up by Terry and was in all alone but couldn't score. Carr got a nice setup from McCarron in the slot that he usually scores from. Lernout had a deke that he scored would have been a highlight reel goal for Laval. Didn't know he had that in him. Rough night in his own end though.

I thought Jerabek, Terry and McNiven had the best games. Holland showed some things, McCarron was decent, not sure why the refs broke up the fight, it did look like McCarron got him good so maybe they thought he needed help. I saw him go over to the refs afterwards as he didn't seem happy they broke it up and McCarron didn't seem to know what was going on. He mixed it up several times, once with his former teammate Josh Brown.

Does he suck at coaching too? They would have a lot in common if so. I don't see why 2 former defensemen can't at least get their team to play passable defense. In the last 12 games they have given up 4 or more goals 8 times. Only 2 of their last 12 games have they given up just 2 goals. They have given up 52 goals in the last 12 games.

Not a single team in the AHL has given up more goals then Laval.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Sorry but saying Housley was one of the best dmen in the game is kind of incomplete like he was. Dude was a great offensive dman, to the point of sometimes playing forward, but to say he was good defensively is not true.

McNiven is having a tough start as a pro with both Brampton and now the Rocket.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sorry but saying Housley was one of the best dmen in the game is kind of incomplete like he was. Dude was a great offensive dman, to the point of sometimes playing forward, but to say he was good defensively is not true.

McNiven is having a tough start as a pro with both Brampton and now the Rocket.
Did you see me write that he was good defensively?

The guy is in the freaking Hall of Fame.

Regardless, that's really besides the point.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Did you see me write that he was good defensively?

The guy is in the freaking Hall of Fame.

Regardless, that's really besides the point.
Read your post, the way you wrote it seriously insinuates that Housley being a great dman means his team should play a good defensive game. I am saying he was never good defensively and as such him teaching young dman how to play the defensive side is not something that is guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->