Prospect Info: 2017-2018 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Hey Springfield watchers, team record looking better lately after the disastrous start, what would you say is the reason?

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Hey Springfield watchers, team record looking better lately after the disastrous start, what would you say is the reason?
Just a guess but I'd say it's a combination of better goaltending, chemistry starting to click, and oh yeah they brought in tough guy Bobby Farnham to ride shotgun with the 1st line and enforcer Tony Turgeon up from the ECHL. People laugh about the use of these types of players but there is a lot of intimidation in the AHL and it's hard for your skilled meek players to settle in to their games. Farnham is no Turgeon as far as winning fights but he is fearless and will lay a hit on anyone no matter their size if they try to intimidate teammates while he is on the ice.

It's funny about Farnham as he comes from a very well to do family (his family owns a supermarket chain with 25,000 employees) and he is Ivy league educated at Brown University. The point is he could be doing something else and making big money but he chooses the hockey life.:dunno:

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Top 3, 100%, but argument could be made he's #1.

Over Borgstrom? I can see the argument over Tippett but Borgstrom should be our clear cut #1 prospect. He just got named player of the month, he's 1st in goals in the league and sits 3rd in points. If he can figure out the defensive side of the game, he's ready to step in next year and make an impact. Hopefully he can bulk up to 195-200lbs, he's at 190 according to Denver's website.

Hepo has to show he can produce against men. Hopefully he does that next year in the AHL but doubtful since he needs to pack on some weight. 147lbs is tiny, even for a 5'10 frame. Have to get this guy up to at least 155-160lbs this off-season and 170lbs when he plays in the AHL.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Over Borgstrom? I can see the argument over Tippett but Borgstrom should be our clear cut #1 prospect. He just got named player of the month, he's 1st in goals in the league and sits 3rd in points. If he can figure out the defensive side of the game, he's ready to step in next year and make an impact. Hopefully he can bulk up to 195-200lbs, he's at 190 according to Denver's website.

Hepo has to show he can produce against men. Hopefully he does that next year in the AHL but doubtful since he needs to pack on some weight. 147lbs is tiny, even for a 5'10 frame. Have to get this guy up to at least 155-160lbs this off-season and 170lbs when he plays in the AHL.

Not saying he's clear cut #1, just saying the argument is there. I think Borg is #1 but I don't think it's far off.

Hepo has insane numbers and the skill is quite apparent. He has all the tools to be a first line player in the NHL. His numbers when compared historically to other top scorers put him in a potential star caliber projection. His scoring rate is insane and if he manages to continue his scoring rate until the end of the season he will be in some special company. He's taken a big step forward after a very good first year in the WHL.

I'm not worried about weight, that will come with time, or if he can product against men. His vision, skating, and hockey iq will enable him to succeed. This is not a grimaldi type prospect where size is a concern. He may need a year to fill out but he'll fill out enough.

We are lucky to have both.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Mascherin is on a 7 game point streak now, gets his 1st career hatter tonight. He's on a current 43 goal pace, better than his (2) previous 35 goal campaigns.

8 goals, 4 assists in that 7 game span. He's averaging over 4 shots a game for the season.

He's back on pace for around 80pts, what he got in his 2nd season. Needs to pick it up a bit if he wants to catch his 100pt pace from last year.

I know Borg and Hepo get all the attention but Tippett, Ang and Mascherin are all playing over a PPG as well. Promising for a team that lacks secondary scoring.

Last edited:
Reactions: letsgrowcactus

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I really hope the Preseason stress was only a fluke and he is willed to sign with the Panthers. I wouldn´t like it if we loose Mascherin for nothing.
scoring twice over 35 Goals listen good to me if he is able to bring it into the Pro LvL.
Ang, Borgstrom, Mascherin, Heponiemi, mamin, Tippett, 6 Promising Prospect from 2 Draft Years and include there Happala and Malgin you have 8 promising player under 24.
Stillman could be also a good late Pick like Weegar was.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Anyone know why Grenier hasn't been given a shot yet? He's got size and is producing (would think Tallon would be all over this)...can he not play D or something? What am I missing?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Anyone know why Grenier hasn't been given a shot yet? He's got size and is producing (would think Tallon would be all over this)...can he not play D or something? What am I missing?

Skating isn't the greatest from what I've seen

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Mascherin is on a 7 game point streak now, gets his 1st career hatter tonight. He's on a current 43 goal pace, better than his (2) previous 35 goal campaigns.

8 goals, 4 assists in that 7 game span. He's averaging over 4 shots a game for the season.

He's back on pace for around 80pts, what he got in his 2nd season. Needs to pick it up a bit if he wants to catch his 100pt pace from last year.

I know Borg and Hepo get all the attention but Tippett, Ang and Mascherin are all playing over a PPG as well. Promising for a team that lacks secondary scoring.
Doesn't surprise me. He needed to pick it up after a slow start that was likely due to some tentativeness and possible soreness from the shoulder surgery. If he plans on re-entering the draft, then he has to produce to show GM's that he is worth it. He was on pace for a point per game before his recent hot streak and that's a regression from last season where he posted a 100 pts playing the last half with the shoulder injury.:)

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
It looks like Heponiemi (Finland) and Ang (Canada) are the only two possible players representing Florida Panthers in WJC. Heponiemi will be in for sure, but Ang might be a cut before the tournament.

Notable omissions are Tippett (Canada), Mascherin (Canada) and Gildon (USA). I guess Canada's scouting staff didn't like Tippett's sloppy turnovers and laziness on the ice.

scoob8888

Sep 28, 2017
Nice win tonight for the T Birds against the baby Islanders. No. 8 with a brace and the 1st Star. Cue Batting1K banging the drums for a recall !

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Nice win tonight for the T Birds against the baby Islanders. No. 8 with a brace and the 1st Star. Cue Batting1K banging the drums for a recall !

He's been playing really well, 7 points in his last 6 games including a 4 game point streak in there.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
He's been playing really well, 7 points in his last 6 games including a 4 game point streak in there.

Why should be call up every Player who has a Streak? We saw that Haapala and Malgin the most possible candidates for the Panthers in their Way they play Hockey. 2 great overall Player.

I think he could have the next Chance, with the next Season or after TD.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Why should be call up every Player who has a Streak? We saw that Haapala and Malgin the most possible candidates for the Panthers in their Way they play Hockey. 2 great overall Player.

I think he could have the next Chance, with the next Season or after TD.

I didn't say to call him up lol. Was just pointing out his last several games played. But couldn't hurt, he can't be any worse than anyone right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->